Thater Premium Boar :(

58RW

Well I received it today and was really excited to think it had arrived. On opening the package which was very good by the way went on to inspect on closer examination after paying US$109.00 = AUD$150.00 noted as you will see in the picture excess glue overload on the bottom of the knot, not impressed I can tell you. Feeling rather sick actually at the moment about it Have just sent an email to Bull Goose let's see what the reply is. Stay tuned
KIQDOXQ.jpg

Well I received it today and was really excited to think it had arrived. On opening the package which was very good by the way went on to inspect on closer examination after paying US$109.00 = AUD$150.00 noted as you will see in the picture excess glue overload on the bottom of the knot, not impressed I can tell you. Feeling rather sick actually at the moment about it Have just sent an email to Bull Goose let's see what the reply is. Stay tuned
KIQDOXQ.jpg
Given that it's marketed as a premium brush it shouldn't have made it out of the factory.

It will lower the effective loft of the knot giving it more backbone...

That's why Ken from Paladin lists Loft and free loft of every brush he sells

Last edited:
@58RW sorry to hear, very disappointing. Hope they resolve it quickly and just send you a another one and you get to keep both.

$150 for a boar is taking the consumer for a ride. Boar is not an expensive or premium material. It doesn't have grades. It's boar. The least they can do is provide a clean example of the product.
Agree boar is boar to a point and waste product. They aren't published with grades but should.
What they are usually advertised with is bleached or treated. Either process actually softens the hair another process is to treat the tips. Which can either shorten the life of the hair or prolong it.
So yes, no grades but different types of boar to be purchased out of the box.

I'd too be disgusted with that quality control and avoid the brand because it is clearly taking the piss from consumers. For the price each item should be inspected and then brushed with a peacock feather! :p

Well no update tonight on this no reply to my email which in there timezone was sent 5am before they even got up so they had a whole day to reply but that's ok i'll give a day or so and then review if not heard by Monday night. Then I'll lodge a PP claim ;););)

Well Phil replied a somewhat disinterested reply but a reply as follows: "Hello Nils
The 82 style boar brushes very commonly had a little excess glue. It should not affect the performance of the knot. If the knot should fail, it will be covered. If you have not used the brush, you can return it to me and I will issue a refund.
Thanks,
Phil
So if you want an expensive brush with excess glue then Bull Goose can help you. If you don't like it return it at your expense even if you have paid US$109.00 then cop the expense of returning mail charge in my case around US25.00 So I'm stuffed either way keep as is to me looking pretty crap or pay more to return it and get a refund. I think enough of you will know what I am saying under my breath............

Well Phil replied a somewhat disinterested reply but a reply as follows: "Hello Nils
The 82 style boar brushes very commonly had a little excess glue. It should not affect the performance of the knot. If the knot should fail, it will be covered. If you have not used the brush, you can return it to me and I will issue a refund.
Thanks,
Phil
So if you want an expensive brush with excess glue then Bull Goose can help you. If you don't like it return it at your expense even if you have paid US$109.00 then cop the expense of returning mail charge in my case around US25.00 So I'm stuffed either way keep as is to me looking pretty crap or pay more to return it and get a refund. I think enough of you will know what I am saying under my breath............

Graham Kennedy (showing my age) would make a Crow call similar to what your probably saying under your breath - F-A-R-K....

Thanks,
Phil

Clearly no love from the the Retailer but in his rights to accept a return for a refund.
So take it up directly with the Vendor and link this thread to them.
As this is clearly going to damage their brand image because it is enough for someone to think twice before making a future purchase from their brand.
If I was the Vendor I'd make right straight away but that is my opinion when I worked for a vendor. Good luck and keep us posted.

I guess he's right. It's not that uncommon for boars to show a glue ring and it will still be fit for purpose. I've had probably one. It cost $10.
Given the materials used here are not expensive, what are you actually being asked to pay for in a $100 brush, if they can't make one without a visual defect?

Thanks,
Phil
Stuff that. I'd be contacting Thater directly.

Scraped from Thater's website 'their product philosophy' and roughly translated.

"Small but Fine"
In the name of globalization, we rely on the traditional production of our products, without any mechanical use in the production of our brush heads.

Thanks to the pure manual production, we offer the widest possible variety of diameters and visible hair lengths of the brush heads matched to the size of the brush handles.

Real, honest manual work, not cheap but worth the price, we guarantee.
Not all parts of a shaving brush can be made by us and therefore we have to be purchased.
We pay particular attention to sustainability here, as far as possible
these bought - in parts in the closer environment, in Germany and possibly in the EU.