Review Thayers Witch Hazel After Shave with Aloe

Sxot

Artisan Producer
I see @Pjotr didn't like this stuff but here is my day #1, single use review. I will update in a few days time;

aftershave_MED.jpg

Ingredients - Purified Water, SD Alcohol 40-B (Natural Grain), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Certified Organic Filet Of Aloe Vera), Hamamelis Virginiana Extract (made from Certified Organic Witch Hazel), Fragrance (Natural Witch Hazel), Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Citric Acid.

Very basic, clean, pure ingredients list. Nothing to worry about here.

Price - expensive at $20 for 118ml. But as usual, you need very little.

Smell - this is does not contain perfume, it's not a scented aftershave so it just smells like the ingredients which to me is rather clinical, medicinal - something you'd smell in a doctors surgery. Not unpleasant, just functional. You'll be wanting to add a cologne if you want to stink pretty.

Performance - Wow... this seems to really work. I have done my face a disservice this past week using too much pressure and getting day long irritation, weepers etc. My face is raw and dry. So I splash some of this on about 2hrs after the shave (when it arrived in the mail), and within 15min the irritation has completely faded away and as claimed, my face is soft to the touch, moisturised.

Conclusion @ day #1 - I like it! Does what it says on the bottle but is expensive. I will look for another cheaper product that has the same or similar ingredients and compare the performance. As is always the case, you do not know what the % of the ingredients is. So this is expensive, but it could be say 30% active ingredient. A cheap one is cheaper for a reason and could be say only %10 active. Something to think about when comparing products. In the end the performance of the product is what counts.

I would be interested to hear from those who have tried this product and found another to be as good or better at a lower price point.

Thanks Sxot. I'm interested in thayers - I think the value will be in how long that bottle lasts you.

Mensbiz is sold out of all the scented ones.. Does this mean someone else will soon stock it?

The benchmark is still Myrsol for me. Will this be stocked locally?

The bottle doesn't have a dropper type top so you cannot tip it up and shake a little into your hand. I found it hard to get just a tiny bit out. In the end I put my thumb over the top, invert and then wipe my thumb on my face. Do this several times. I might try an old AS and see if I can retrofit the dropper top. Thayers suggest the use of cotton buds. I am loath to do this because they will absorb a lot of product which will get thrown out with the bud.

I bought mine from Shave Shed, which is out of stock on the after shave. They do have a bunch of the other Thayers products however.

Last edited:
Thayers can be bought from iHerb.com for less than $20 per 355mL (around $15 per bottle I think). For first time customers you get $5 off your order but they also regularly have sales I believe.

Great review!

Love Thayers and it was the reason I sold off all my other aftershave lotions. Great stuff, though I prefer their alcohol-free 'toner' version...and the unscented is my go-to

Thayers can be had at vitacost.com for ~8US$ - and they have many different promos including currently free shipping to OZ above 80US$

They have many many many other items as well...

Shipping usually kills any savings buying OS, from the US particularly. I'd have to find a bunch of other stuff to buy to justify it but good find. Thanks.

Follow up review;
I really like this stuff. The addition of Aloe is great. Te smells is clinical but is gone within seconds allow you to top is with an AS/Cologne etc.

I put my fingers over the spout and invert. That gives me enough for half my face so this will go along way. Soothes, and leaves my fave moisturised all day which is a feat since I have very dry skin.

@Sxot I've bought the T.N.Dickinson's Witch Hazel Astringent Toner 240 mL for $6.60 at priceline pharmacy today here in Australia, and it by far cheaper and heaps better than the Thayers Witch Hazel after reading so many review from different shaving forums and their are a lot of Aussie wet shaving strongly recommend T.N.Dickinson's Witch Hazel Astringent give it a try is worth it ;)(y)

T.N.Dickinson's Witch Hazel Astringent does the same thing as Thayers Witch Hazel ;) make sure you get the blue label NOT the Yellow Label, why the T.N.Dickinson's Witch Hazel in yellow label different product is for WOMEN ONLY ;) so make sure you get this see picture below.

T.N.Dickinson's Witch Hazel Astringent Website:----> http://www.tndickinsons.com/products/astringents/

Website:----> https://www.priceline.com.au/t-n-dickinson-s-witch-hazel-toner-240-ml

168oz-TN_CST_Bnr.png
Treat-It-flash.png

Last edited:
I will grab it just to compare, because performance could be better or equal but it's just Witch Hazel. Thayers has Aloe Vera to. Thayers is cheap OS, just here in Aus as usual we pay a fortune for that which is cheap elsewhere.

@Sxot I've bought the T.N.Dickinson's Witch Hazel Astringent Toner 240 mL for $6.60 at priceline pharmacy today here in Australia, and it by far cheaper and heaps better than the Thayers Witch Hazel after reading so many review from different shaving forums and their are a lot of Aussie wet shaving strongly recommend T.N.Dickinson's Witch Hazel Astringent give it a try is worth it ;)(y)

T.N.Dickinson's Witch Hazel Astringent does the same thing as Thayers Witch Hazel ;) make sure you get the blue label NOT the Yellow Label, why the T.N.Dickinson's Witch Hazel in yellow label different product is for WOMEN ONLY ;) so make sure you get this see picture below.

T.N.Dickinson's Witch Hazel Astringent Website:----> http://www.tndickinsons.com/products/astringents/

Website:----> https://www.priceline.com.au/t-n-dickinson-s-witch-hazel-toner-240-ml

168oz-TN_CST_Bnr.png
Treat-It-flash.png

For those who prefer the toner non-alcoholic Thayer's version, just be aware Dickinson's contains alcohol.

Also doesn't include Aloe Vera. I plan to buy some Dickens tomorrow to see if the Aloe makes any appreciable difference. I believe it should based on my use of the plant lead direct but belief is not enough.

@stillshunter Dickinson's only contains 14% alcohol is bloody nothing and you can't feel any after burn on the skin at all trust me ;)
It's not about the burning - it's about the drying the skin out...

It's not about the burning - it's about the drying the skin out...
I'm with you mate. I've tried both and my face likes the Thayer's toner. Sorry @SpeedyPC it makes a big difference.

On a related note, I've not had alcohol on my face for many months. On Saturday I splashed on a Bay Rum. OMG! My face slapped me for it....repeatedly!!!!