The 2018 P&C AP Reserve FESTIVUS Aftershave! (L'eau de Festivus)

Would you like menthol in the splash ?

• Yes

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • No

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters

todras

est Français pour après-rasage
In Memoriam
2019 Charity Auction Winner
Menth Dealer
EyIeSO6.png

Continuing an annual tradition, I thought I would get a thread up and running prior to the start of an incredibly busy time for AP Reserve and yours truly with my thinking being if the responses and contributions flow into something workable and doable then I will allocate some time to get together a few bottles for each state of the 'Christmas Splash' - last year saw 'Borked' which was a raucous Yuzu number that was ridiculously strong, the twist being it was actually an EDT in an aftershave bottle that was teaming with fancy citrus notes, it worked very well in the searing heat of the Aussie Summer and I plan on busting mine out again this year.

This year I (probably stupidly) thought that I would throw open the idea of the aftershave name and the feel of the design, the only caveat being if the eventual fragrance ideas or name are either too expensive, or the name is offensive I will invoke the right of veto as the aftershave is free and it will release under my companies masthead but it is a gift.

This being said it is up to you guys to nominate notes or ideas for the Christmas fragrance, remembering we will be in the middle of a very hot and typically humid season. I am open to most things and all kinds of suggestions providing they can be worked into a design that is not immediately vomit inducing or cause for our partners to have any of us spending a week or two on the couch as a consequence of wearing the stuff.

As I mentioned, this is a free aftershave however some assistance covering the postage to the respective states would be welcomed, as would any contributions. Generally speaking I am thinking of 4 or 5 bottles per state maximum as this does cost me money in materials, consumables and time and I would like to ask that for people to be eligible to receive a bottle they are people who attend the meetups in their states.

We had a situation last year where someone who does not bother to attend any of the meetups sent me a gloating picture of a bottle he had gotten hold of and it really pissed me off. All I am suggesting here is that the occasional attendance at a meetup for a chat and a hello is required if at all possible, it is not absolutely required due to circumstances (NT for instance).

I have allocated 2 weeks for this thread, after such time I will need to mod the design, let it rest and get it into solution and posted so it's received well before Christmas - I can only really afford to post to one person in each state due to cost and time, individually posting multiple aftershaves is way too time consuming, in this regard can you please organise amongst yourselves and nominate someone for me to post it to. That person can then give it to the others in person at the next meetup or in person. I would strongly prefer people do not claim bottles for other people but I will leave that decision entirely up to you guys :)

So lets kick this off, open for suggestion is the name of the splash and ideas for designs with all names and ideas being welcome..... an example: 'Monsta Mash' - Something with Lemon, lemon grass, orange, cedar and musk and menthol

Cheers Guys,

Dan

Merry friggin Christmas P&C!
Absolute legend @todras and this year I'm tearing a limb off so I don't miss this one. Was crying on @borked's shoulder early this year when I missed out on the Borked Splash because I had a function elsewhere on that Kris Kringle weekend.

Definitely menthol (have voted already) as it is a summer splash and we need the cool down o_O

Thinking outside the square on the menthol addition by vote and this creates more work so not to your liking, as I personally would say bugger off.
But maybe a state by state option, or if the vote is tight like 50% ship half not and half with.
Maybe a little baggie of crystal meth on the side to add. Meh. Just thoughts to appease the masses.

Scent, scent. Completely stumped on this.
Suitablely Attired Gentlemen was grand and a classy scent for my summer.

Something fun and for relaxing times.
Maybe Blue gum, woods (maybe cedar) Aquatic with an Orange breeze through (musk) it. So Aussie summer festive vibe near a beach or river.

Edit: forgot a name... Danaroos summer splash. And then whack a hopping kangaroo wearing a santa hat for the logo!

Last edited:
Top notch @todras. I won't be around this Christmas but I'd love to join in the names and scent fun!

I agree with the citrus theme mentioned above but what about mixed with something like beer or gin!

Fair warning I'm completely talking out my arse.

Mandarin, bergamot, lemon, lime and juniper.

Or

Mandarin, bergamot, lemon, hops and honey.

Name: Todras' Tonic

Well, that's a great thing, also a test to publicly show how ignorant I am in terms of scents pairings... but I reckon I'll end up with a "sealer" dark citrus "thing" but not so dark (we already will have this summer covered by crispy and oceanic scents from APR). Finding a nice and cool name will be an issue, so I'll make it in french if end up with some kind of scent not so embarrassing that would prevent me posting in public :)

Super cool idea @todras !!!

Top notch @todras. I won't be around this Christmas but I'd love to join in the names and scent fun!

I agree with the citrus theme mentioned above but what about mixed with something like beer or gin!

Fair warning I'm completely talking out my arse.

Mandarin, bergamot, lemon, lime and juniper.

Or

Mandarin, bergamot, lemon, hops and honey.

Name: Todras' Tonic

Those are all great notes and what you have posted is really what I was kind of hoping people would suggest - a collection of notes they like personally and would like in the splash.

There is plenty of latitude in regard to people not being around at Christmas as I know many of us won't be (I will be interstate for instance) - the splash can be sent to one person in mid December and when all the family and Christmas celebrations are over people can meetup when it works and pick them up then.

It doesn't matter if you don't know about perfumery specifics or whatever at all, please don't hesitate to comment and pitch ideas ....it's all about hearing what people from P&C dig on so we can maybe get some kind of ball-park consensus in a round about way and Ill get to designing something that we all (hopefully) will like :)

This is such a cool idea @todras.

The best part of this time of year? Time off work! Lazy Afternoon drinks in the sun. Maybe the cricket is on, or cooking a BBQ, or just having a read with nothing else on your mind.

Name: Christmas Shutdown or Public Holiday

Scent: Gin and Tonic with Lemon or Sweet Orange.

I'm feeling the G&T vibe on this one from people which definitely lends itself to some nice tart citrus top notes and something with a twist. Let's see what else people like...

Why yes, I would like some splash with my menthol!

Something far left field... leather, freshly ironed cotton whites, linseed soaked willow, zinc sunscreen, and freshly cut grass.

Oh and in case it's not absolutely clear, these are traditionally offered as a gift to contributing members of the forum, no actual payment for the product is required (a postage contribution may be requested).

As I mentioned, this is a free aftershave however some assistance covering the postage to the respective states would be welcomed, as would any contributions. Generally speaking I am thinking of 4 or 5 bottles per state maximum as this does cost me money in materials, consumables and time and I would like to ask that for people to be eligible to receive a bottle they are people who attend the meetups in their states.

Oh and in case it's not absolutely clear, these are traditionally offered as a gift to contributing members of the forum, no actual payment for the product is required (a postage contribution may be requested).

That's the sum of it really.

What a fantastic idea @todras.... unequivocally generous.

Summer for me is the faint aroma of steak sizzling on the BBQ hotplate, the fresh hoppy smell of an opened bottle of Stella Artois and the faint waft of chlorine from the pool water....

Im not entirely sure that combination would work in splash/EDT (which is why Im not a soap/splash maker.....:LOL:)

I like the G&T idea, a splash of citrus with a hint of 'ginny' botanicals....drop of menthol to provide that extra 'kick in the gentleman''s region'.

The scent from newly opened magnolia flowers is incredible and very summery....when mine are in bloom my garden smells amazing. Perhaps combined with the musky, sweet honey smell of a Jacaranda in bloom (a truly beautiful sight and quite a subtle fragrance).

as far as names go....'stella bella' is already the name of a bottle of wine so they might not like that. The summer of 47 has a definite ring to it.....:cool:

BTW: fantastic and very generous idea as always @todras (y)(y)(y)

While I am bad with pairing, my favorite dominating note in summer is definitely something citrusy and since you did Yuzu last year, the following would come to mind:

Lemongrass
Grapefruit
Not sure if it exists as scent - Dried Lime
Tangerine
Lemon Myrtle
Verbena
Bergamot