Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
This is posted here for information purposes mainly and not to created a heated discussion on the pro and cons of the treatment of badgers.

'A PETA Asia investigation—the first of its kind—into China’s badger-brush industry reveals that “protected” badgers are illegally captured in the wild using snares and other cruel methods and then confined to small cages on farms before being violently killed for paint, makeup, and shaving brushes.

After PETA shared the video footage with Procter & Gamble, which owns The Art of Shaving, it made the compassionate decision to stop buying badger hair immediately and end its sales of badger-hair shaving brushes. But many other companies still sell badger-hair brushes. Please, won’t you help these animals?'

From - https://investigations.peta.org/badger-brush-industry/

I note that P&G have already indicated that they are moving away from badger brushes - https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/19/peta-persuades-pg-to-stop-using-animal-hair-in-brushes.html

Companies with a conscious or wanting to appear to have one will also be onboard with this decision. Others might follow suit as a market decision with profit vs negative media.
Though anyone else will give a small firetruck. Unless you see the EU put a regulation on the use and import of these products they will still be widely available.

So let's not get into a "heated debate"! As a moderator you should know better & lock this thread now!

Totally agree with the decision as there is nothing ethical about the production of Chinese badger hair. For the naive, just watch a YouTube video on animal welfare in China. They don't care as they'll just stuff another animal in a box for their market needs.

Other argument is so what, you can make a brush out of anything, feathers were once used too. Hopefully someone can make me a bald eagle feather brush one day :p so I can pull it out on the 4th of the July for a whoop-de-do shave.

There! Your turn now :LOL:

Last edited:
Is there a list of Brands that use European badger hair instead of Chinese? Excuse my ignorance but is there any way to make more compassionate choices where regulations are more strongly enforced?

I wouldn't believe anything the peta wackjobs have got to say on any subject.they are trying to convince people that foxes and cats have been naturalised in Australia and should be protected ffs. My understanding is the badgers used for brushes are considered a pest in china not endangered even slightly.i agree that there's no doubt that the Chinese are cruel to animals not even killing animals before skinning them and so forth but a change in practices wont happen by taking their meager earnings away.a fair trade anti animal cruelty type setup where they would get paid more for the cruelty free product would achieve a lot more.carrots work better than sticks.

I'm happy enough not to have a badger in my stable. After finally discovering synths last year, I'm happy enough to just stick to those.
Or will Greenpeace come back at PETA complaining about the amount of plastics used in the manufacture of the handles and fibres in synths?

First they came for my fois gras, then they came for my ambergris, and now they come for my badger.

Nice PR stunt from PETA, it will have absolutely no effect whatsoever.

First they came for my fois gras, then they came for my ambergris, and now they come for my badger.

Well it did, hence the article.

If you mean impact overall. Yeah not much.

Probably not but it may have an effect. for some reason people out there really do believe the crap they dribble.cant recall the last fur coat I saw as an example and the banning of the trophy hunting that pays for wildlife protection in African countries leading to the poachers wiping everything out.basically you've highlighted their methods right there, not one fell swoop but slow creeping restrictions they win 1 at a time till we lose everything.

Nearly Every 1st world country has a society for the protection of animals that lays out the ground rules and prosecutes any law breakers PETA and their ilk are simpl mentally challenged extremists.

This is posted here for information purposes mainly and not to created a heated discussion on the pro and cons of the treatment of badgers.

'A PETA Asia investigation—the first of its kind—into China’s badger-brush industry reveals that “protected” badgers are illegally captured in the wild using snares and other cruel methods and then confined to small cages on farms before being violently killed for paint, makeup, and shaving brushes.

After PETA shared the video footage with Procter & Gamble, which owns The Art of Shaving, it made the compassionate decision to stop buying badger hair immediately and end its sales of badger-hair shaving brushes. But many other companies still sell badger-hair brushes. Please, won’t you help these animals?'

From - https://investigations.peta.org/badger-brush-industry/

I note that P&G have already indicated that they are moving away from badger brushes - https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/19/peta-persuades-pg-to-stop-using-animal-hair-in-brushes.html

Easy mate, the video is just junk. If you pay attention, on the video the chinese claim that animals are mostly hunted, not cruelty hoard in farms. That makes sense as also stated in your message, they are mostly hunted with snares, and snared animals are not worth for caging (you can use snares for that, but I bet is not how it is done in China).
I'll revisit that post later, but so far, if people just stop buying badger brushes, the prize may just drop, so it can actually be a win-win :)

And @todras . I am not sure about Aussie laws, I reckon foie grass cannot be produced here, but it can be imported, but it will be produced forever in places like France, Hungary (I reckon is the largest producer now) or even Spain. Trying to ban it at European scale would just break European Union. French people is just so fond on their culinary traditions (and they have already have to give up a few, but for reasons) that they will never stop doing it. They are actually the only antarctic "country" that still cook penguin eggs once every summer, just because it is a culinary tradition (no matter how disgusting these eggs are). That's a reason to love French people :)

cheers for now
Fer

That's great!!

AS a person being in love with wildlife I since I start to being able to walk just using the legs with no aid of the arms (and nowadays wildlife research is my job), besides I have so many concerns about many things regarding animals and wildlife, I do certainly hate this extremist groups, for many reasons, including releasing alien, invasive species from farms into the wild, as they sometimes do as for "freeing" the animals... but it is more about how they think about us humans, and animals. I always tend to feel more comfortable with good hunters around that with these people. Nor only because hunters mates provides game meat, and I love that, but also because of these people view the environment, They mostly have a Wald Disney generated view of nature where animals are friends among them and talk (even carry clothes). In the real world you will never see a tiger chatting with a boar, rather you will see the tiger killing and eating the boar, if not just trying to kill and eat you....

I think there has been an emerging consciousness in the west about industrious treatment of animals. Just look at how the live sheep export situation has emerged in this country.
With regard to badgers for shaving brushes, there's been lots of speculation in the west about how badgers are treated in China. Whilst few people really know what goes on, it is doubtful the process is humane. As an exclusive user of badger brushes, I'd like nothing more than to know for certain that they have efficient processes in place which greatly reduce Badger suffering. If the Peta campaign leads to greater transparency and reduced badger suffering for the industry, I'd be all for it. In saying that, Id hate to see badger brushes disappear from the market completely or be more difficult to obtain.

My kids have this game called Bean Boozled.Basically jelly beans,different flavours.Thing is there are two flavours for each colour.Green ones are either lime,or lawn clippings,brown is chocolate or dog food,black is licorice or skunk spray. The game is you have to try whatever bean you get,of course not knowing the flavour.Even have "barf",bad cheese and stinky socks. I got a black one for my first go.Lucky me,it was not licorice.
I nearly spewed.Skunk flavour tasted like a burnt, really,really bad fart and it repeated on me for two bloody days.
Alleged cruelty practises aside,badger for brushes isn't too bad and there could be worse they could be made from. Like skunk.

I digress. I place PETA in the same "boat" as radical Muslim extremists. Anyone that tries to tell me I can't eat bacon is going to have a very bad day.

My kids have this game called Bean Boozled.Basically jelly beans,different flavours.Thing is there are two flavours for each colour.Green ones are either lime,or lawn clippings,brown is chocolate or dog food,black is licorice or skunk spray. The game is you have to try whatever bean you get,of course not knowing the flavour.Even have "barf",bad cheese and stinky socks. I got a black one for my first go.Lucky me,it was not licorice.
I nearly spewed.Skunk flavour tasted like a burnt, really,really bad fart and it repeated on me for two bloody days.
Alleged cruelty practises aside,badger for brushes isn't too bad and there could be worse they could be made from. Like skunk.

I digress. I place PETA in the same "boat" as radical Muslim extremists. Anyone that tries to tell me I can't eat bacon is going to have a very bad day.
Ya, I tell my doctor my low cholesterol count is due to having bacon regularly for breakfast.:LOL:
I'm interested in animal welfare (having your own happy chooks to lay eggs is so much better than buying eggs produced from caged hens) but would like more reliable information on how badger hair is sourced than what PETA provides before being convinced to stop buying badger brushes/knots.