The collection begins

gthomas04

...was Drubbing's first. AKA Captain Tightarse
Actually my wife says that one is enough so we will see.Just won a "vintage red tip Gillette double edge safety razor" (their description) out of the US. Didnt cost a fortune about $18.00 and since my son lives there I just get it sent to him and he sends it on (seller wanted 28.00 for postage). Dont know a thing about the razor except it looked nice! (You can tell I am a sophisticated buyer can't you).

The Red Tips are uber popular, the more aggressive of the SuperSpeed variants. It was sold as being for heavy beards with the Blue Tip for lighter beards.

Of course, what you really need is a Double Ring or two...... :D

The Red Tips are uber popular, the more aggressive of the SuperSpeed variants. It was sold as being for heavy beards with the Blue Tip for lighter beards.

Of course, what you really need is a Double Ring or two...... :D

Which I would look for if only I knew what a double ring was! Sounds like some with a double a22hole.

Which I would look for if only I knew what a double ring was! Sounds like some with a double a22hole.

Umm, sorry, I shouldn't be so tangential.

There are a couple of Double Rings of mine on sale here. These were the first type of Gillette safety razor and are one of the 'holy grails' of razor collecting. At 106 years old they don't look too bad really!

Umm, sorry, I shouldn't be so tangential.

There are a couple of Double Rings of mine on sale here. These were the first type of Gillette safety razor and are one of the 'holy grails' of razor collecting. At 106 years old they don't look too bad really!

Lets see - Red Tip at $16.00 Aus versus Double Ring at $200.00 Aus hmm divide by 2 carry the one - nope I will stick to the low end of the market place thanks - I am sure you are quite correct about the Holy Grail bit, but dishing out close to 50% of my limited fortnightly income in one hit is beyond me. Still you never know what I will find in the depths of Balcktown or Windsor.

Lets see - Red Tip at $16.00 Aus versus Double Ring at $200.00 Aus hmm divide by 2 carry the one - nope I will stick to the low end of the market place thanks - I am sure you are quite correct about the Holy Grail bit, but dishing out close to 50% of my limited fortnightly income in one hit is beyond me. Still you never know what I will find in the depths of Balcktown or Windsor.

Good luck. I've had some success at Windsor but it was in an antique store that was closing down. Got about $150 of razors for $40. Unfortuntately property values and shop rents are just gaoing crazy and making antique stores far less viable.

It's great when you find stuff "in the wild". Let us know how you go.

Yes there is nothing like finding that great score and holding it in your hands while you haggle!

I never even thought to try out antique shops for razors.

Hmm if the missus is into antiques..I could sneakily go hunting for razors WHILST still appeasing her and sharing a common interest AND spending quality time.

That's a tick in every box.

Hmm if the missus is into antiques..I could sneakily go hunting for razors WHILST still appeasing her and sharing a common interest AND spending quality time.

Which works really well until you spend $400.00 on a couple of razors and she rocks up 5 minutes later wanting to spend the same money on a lovely Victorian teapot. Common interest turns rapidly to selfish pig and quality time to lonely time!

I scoured antique shops for a short while and the only success I had was in the main drag in Guildford. There are three or four collectors/antique shops almost next to each other. Nice spot with a few half decent lunch bars too.

I live not far from there so I might go have a look.

When did you last go there?

I live not far from there so I might go have a look.

When did you last go there?

About three or four months ago. Managed to score a really nice Souplex (English DE make) travel kit which was on sale. Little boar travel brush, really nice open comb DE and two bakelite screw top containers. Prices in some of the shops were totally outrageous ($80 for a clapped out Rolls Razor kit missing the strop) and the usual three pieces wrongly assembled with a bonus 20yr old blade. But at least you might get a some hits.

Fair enough. At least it gets me out of the house. Never know what I will find I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then there were three

Just won Gillette Brass Double Edged Regus (whatever that means) not in great nick but never mind. Came complete wirh some blades and an antique tobacco tin which looks like it will be great for storing blades _ All up $17.00 Aus including postage here. Nice to find a hobby I can afford.

Just won Gillette Brass Double Edged Regus (whatever that means) not in great nick but never mind. Came complete wirh some blades and an antique tobacco tin which looks like it will be great for storing blades _ All up $17.00 Aus including postage here. Nice to find a hobby I can afford.

LOL - 'REGUS' = 'Reg US' indicating the the patent is registered in the US.

This is a common eBay description.

Check out Mr Razor's site here. He has an extensive collection and lots of picks. It will help you identify mismatched sets or even the wrong head on a body and what some items are mean to look like. A razor described as brass can be gold-plating sometimes or it can be nickel/chrome/solver/rhodium worn down to the brass.

PM me your address and you might find something in your letter box next week....

Oh, the other 'rule' for forums is 'pics or it didn't happen' - so maybe hone your digital photography and uploading skills :laugh:

Yep, no pics, no cigar. You can post the link to the auction. I don't know if there's a "do not post a live auction link" rule on this site but if the auction's dead it's not a problem.

Last edited:
Here it is I Hope!
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Like I said not great nick but hey I am a rank amateur and nit trying to do anything but have fun within my budget!

Based on my very limited knowledge of Gillette razors I'd say that's a fat handled tech. But I also thought all Gillettes after a cetain date had dating numbers (year and quarter of manufacture) but they don't seem to be there on this one. It's gold plated with a bit of plate loss here and there. Good score. If it's anything like the same head design of my ball end tech it'll be a pretty mild shaver.

Based on my very limited knowledge of Gillette razors I'd say that's a fat handled tech. But I also thought all Gillettes after a cetain date had dating numbers (year and quarter of manufacture) but they don't seem to be there on this one. It's gold plated with a bit of plate loss here and there. Good score. If it's anything like the same head design of my ball end tech it'll be a pretty mild shaver.

Next 2 purchases:
eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

and
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Again no idea of quality but the price was right - Now I will sit quietly and wait for them to collect up at my sons place in St Louis and he can package them into a single bundle for me

I think you've got two identical razors there. The last one's in better nick than the first. Good score on the brush. How can you go wrong for $1.25!