The first safety razors

Just 17 days and then...
2018 Sabbatical Fail
I thought I'd post a picture as @bald as is very kindly refreshing my few original "wedge" razor blades and I thought I should look them out and clean them up ready to use.
Most of these, maybe not the Comfort and Le coq, I think will pre-date the first Gillette (1903) and the Gem flat blade (1906) and use variations and developments of the Kampfe bros first patented "Safety Razor" in 1880.
I'm looking forward to using them again.

I thought I'd post a picture as @bald as is very kindly refreshing my few original "wedge" razor blades and I thought I should look them out and clean them up ready to use.
Most of these, maybe not the Comfort and Le coq, I think will pre-date the first Gillette (1903) and the Gem flat blade (1906) and use variations and developments of the Kampfe bros first patented "Safety Razor" in 1880.
I'm looking forward to using them again.

Thanks for sharing. That is a nice little collection. Happy shaves.

Beautiful collection @Sticky. Love the ornate look and craftsmanship of lather catchers

Thanks for sharing. That is a nice little collection. Happy shaves.
Thanks, I have picked up a few more than I thought.
Vintage happy shaves, nothing wrong against the modern today shaves.
Thanks. Nothing wrong with modern shaves but on a good day, with the right blade, with good technique and a following wind they can give a modern razor run for its money. On any day I find them more interesting.
Beautiful collection @Sticky. Love the ornate look and craftsmanship of lather catchers
Thanks, they are great razors and usable antiques. There is another little niche where lather catchers were made to fit the flat blades after 1906 and before caps became de rigueur following the 1912. More great razors!

A few years back, I came across a YouTube clip of someone using a safety razor from the 1700s. It had a reusable SE blade that you had to put in a special handle to strop before you could get started. Damned if I can find that video now I'm actually looking for it... :rolleyes:

A few years back, I came across a YouTube clip of someone using a safety razor from the 1700s. It had a reusable SE blade that you had to put in a special handle to strop before you could get started. Damned if I can find that video now I'm actually looking for it... :rolleyes:
I'd like to see that! Although the Kampfe bros patented the first "Safety Razor " I'm sure there were others doing something similar before them. I've heard of adverts from the 1830s describing something like it. But I've not heard of an SE from the 1700s. If you do find it let me know.

I'd like to see that! Although the Kampfe bros patented the first "Safety Razor " I'm sure there were others doing something similar before them. I've heard of adverts from the 1830s describing something like it. But I've not heard of an SE from the 1700s. If you do find it let me know.
Will do. Sometimes I despair of Google and YouTube search, but then I remember AltaVista and the others which back in the day would definitively forget a site forever... :D