The general watch talk discussion

Wearing an older model Aqua Terra with the 8500 movement. Omega have come a long way with their “in house” manufacture.
As for Rolex, the short supply of the SS sports models are like Wolfman. I would love a BLNR to commemorate a graduation but couldn’t find one. 10 years ago, walked into Grima on Collins whilst wandering the city on a whim. Saw a 114060 on display. Lady asked whether I wanted to try it. Asked whether she could adjust the links so I can better appreciate the fit.

One of my mates has a nice blue-face Aqua Terra, they're a classy timeless design I think.

The 114060 is one of the only Rolex divers that I like, it's a bit more subdued than some of the others which get a bit busy for me. Sounds pretty sweet, Kev.

How are both aging? Other than the already aged Seamaster, I don't really know what to expect from my watches as they age. Particularly the white face on my dress Tissot, which I try to keep in its box to prevent any discolouration.

Rami said:
Was about to link him. Have a bit of mixed feeling about the guy.

Why's that mate? Curious.

One of my mates has a nice blue-face Aqua Terra, they're a classy timeless design I think.

The 114060 is one of the only Rolex divers that I like, it's a bit more subdued than some of the others which get a bit busy for me. Sounds pretty sweet, Kev.

How are both aging? .

Both watches are ageing well... They are both due for service ... although I took the Omega to the nearest authorised WA service centre and they tested the bpm/rate and said 'don't bother, wait till the accuracy is outside of COSC standard'. They overhaul the watch as part of the fixed price service anyhow.

I haven't let the SubC go to service yet.

Both have user grade scratches and wear on the casing. But otherwise look pretty good. I went with the no-date model as I thought the cyclops was too 'Rolex' and wanted something understated at the time. That and setting the date annoyed me if I haven't used the watch for a time.

Looking at the GMTII but ... nope ... not a hope of finding one I don't think at an AD. Thinking about a DJ but just not sure. The Aqua Terra is too close to the original explorer for me.

Thanks for your thoughts Kev. It's nice that the service centre gave you an honest opinion about not needing to be serviced yet, that's a good measure of trustworthiness.

A few of mine have surface scratches on the 'bottom' of the band from sliding on the desk while typing. I've always wondered if these could be polished or buffed out a bit at home. Any thoughts?

Go wild, get a Panerai. Everyone will think you own an oil company or sell missiles. What's not to like?

Wearing an older model Aqua Terra with the 8500 movement. Omega have come a long way with their “in house” manufacture.
I wore it out of the shop.

At the time I had the choice of selecting an 8500 vs newer 8900
I chose the 8500. Part of the deal was an additional Omega Alligator leather strap/buckle. Till this day I still have the leather strap on and prefer it over the steel brushed/polished bracelot.

To me
Better looking dial with the vertical lines and the date is at 3 o'clock not 6.
Watch is still 15000+guass rated.
41.5mm sized sits more preferable on my wrist.
More protected crown than the newer open crown design.

Thanks for your thoughts Kev. It's nice that the service centre gave you an honest opinion about not needing to be serviced yet, that's a good measure of trustworthiness.

A few of mine have surface scratches on the 'bottom' of the band from sliding on the desk while typing. I've always wondered if these could be polished or buffed out a bit at home. Any thoughts?

Go wild, get a Panerai. Everyone will think you own an

Yes they will brush/polish out no problems.

Panerai is a very bad investment. Purchase used and only for a big big price reduction.

Currently all watches besides Rolex are a bad investment.

TBH all watches are a bad investment.
giphy.gif

All watches apart from Steel Sports Rolex.
They are in high demand. You cannot even put your name on a wait list let alone purchase from an AD. Second hand and grey market are the options.
Like all collectables, they generate no income, are highly speculative have a comparatively narrow resell market (Compared to say an ETF/stock/bond), high holding costs (maintenance and insurance) Per holding, are at more risk assuming they get worn and more risk of purchasing issues if buying from the grey used market.

I won’t say it’s bad (like “investing” in a new car) but it isn’t particularly good as an investment, but not everything has to be seen through that lens, the house you buy should be bought because it suits you and the family and if it appreciates then that’s just cream.

@mong

nothing other than personality, was on his mailing list for a while, some of the stuff he says does not gel with me.

All watches apart from Steel Sports Rolex.
They are in high demand. You cannot even put your name on a wait list let alone purchase from an AD. Second hand and grey market are the options.

was in the market for one. Even the Datejust combinations that are popular are allocation only. It seems that they will allocate steel watches to “special” customers with little transparency. As a private business, they can do as they wish. Most will only take an EOI ... but hint that if you buy a watch or two you’ll get put on the actual waitlist.

It’s the culture of the dealer network. I got lucky and managed to walk in and a SubC had just arrived. 10 years ago.

was in the market for one. Even the Datejust combinations that are popular are allocation only. It seems that they will allocate steel watches to “special” customers with little transparency. As a private business, they can do as they wish. Most will only take an EOI ... but hint that if you buy a watch or two you’ll get put on the actual waitlist.

It’s the culture of the dealer network. I got lucky and managed to walk in and a SubC had just arrived. 10 years ago.

The problem is supply and demand. The Rolex brand has always been strong in North America and still is. Combine that with the new emerging markets such as China who's buyers will pay above retail and outnumber US buyers 2:1.
Some AD's are known to be slimey buggers who practically sell all their allocated stock to known associates, who then sell them at inflated prices on the Grey Market.

Patek Philip, AP, JLC, Omega, Breitling, etc etc resale is absolutely soft at the moment.
If you have the spare funds, you might be able to strike up a good deal on these brands. Anything less than 40% off retail, walk away unless your prepared to inherit the hit when it comes to resale time.

you get that it’s just artificial scarcity though yeah?

The issue I have is that I can’t find an alternative for a gmt2 Batman or a rose gold yacht master.

it’s well and good to point out the flaws In the system but until I can find a decent alternative to either I am stuck.

The issue I have is that I can’t find an alternative for a gmt2 Batman or a rose gold yacht master.

it’s well and good to point out the flaws In the system but until I can find a decent alternative to either I am stuck.
Be rad and buy a Casio.

The batman which is advertised for around 25k Aus at the moment :rolleyes:
For about 19k less how about a Tudor Heritage Black Bay GMT M79830RB

Tudors are nice.

There are options on the secondhand and overseas grey markets. Patience and be constantly be on the prowl! It can be frustrating, especially buying used ftom overseas as they think every foreigner is a scammer. It also works visa versa.

The batman which is advertised for around 25k Aus at the moment :rolleyes:
For about 19k less how about a Tudor Heritage Black Bay GMT M79830RB

Tudors are nice.

There are options on the secondhand and overseas grey markets. Patience and be constantly be on the prowl! It can be frustrating, especially buying used ftom overseas as they think every foreigner is a scammer. It also works visa versa.

mate, I do not want an imitation Pepsi, had the original and sold it. Should have sprung out for a Batman all these years ago.

not too keen on second hand market pricing. Will just wait and see how things go.