Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Finally, the research is catching up!

An efficient man who schedules sex on an Excel spreadsheet may be a better catch for women than a passionate, spontaneous lothario.

While heart-throbs of fiction from Heathcliff to Christian Grey are known for their impulsive behaviour, women get greater real-life satisfaction from a man who is “efficient and organised”, with a sense of Pflicht, or duty, according to German researchers.

Nevertheless, the research indicates that some stereotypes hold true. “Nice” men are less rewarding lovers than those who are disagreeable, according to respondents.

Psychologists at Ruhr University Bochum surveyed 964, mostly heterosexual, couples about their sex lives and personality traits to observe any significant correlations.

Predictably, respondents who were sexually “excitable” reported a better sex life than those who admitted that they were “inhibited”.

Looking at broader personality traits, the researchers found that the most important of the “big five” in affecting our sex lives was “conscientiousness”.

Conscientious people of both genders reported better sexual function than others. Women also benefited if their partner was more conscientious, although this was not the case for men.

Julia Velten, one of the co-authors, told the Quartz website that conscientiousness meant a tendency to be efficient and organised, as opposed to easygoing and disorderly. Conscientious people were disciplined and dependable and they displayed planned behaviour more often than spontaneous behaviour, she said.

In the paper in The Journal of Sex Research, the researchers explain that “spontaneous, passionate” sexual desire is not the most common reason to engage in sexual activity, especially for women in long-term relationships

In contrast to unpredictable Casanovas, conscientious individuals were less likely to “let things slip” in a relationship and more likely to work on their sexual connection. They added that men who were “thorough and dutiful” could feel a need to satisfy their partner sexually, which may in turn lead to better sexual function of their partners.

Relationship experts frequently recommend that busy couples timetable sex to maintain or rekindle intimacy. Some couples maintain digital logs of their activity. A study from the University of Toronto Mississauga indicates that couples who have sex less than once a week are less happy than others, while frequency of sex is a bigger factor than financial security in maintaining relationships.

In the Ruhr study, two other big-five personality traits, agreeableness and emotional stability, which have traditionally been seen as positive predictors of a decent sex life, showed “negative partner effects”.

On the one hand, women whose partners were more “agreeable” reported lower sexual function. On the other, men whose partners had less emotional stability, or were more neurotic in other words, had a better time of it.

The two remaining personality traits, extraversion and openness to experience, were, surprisingly, not predictive of sexual function.

The researchers hope the study will improve understanding of sexual dysfunction and assist the development of new treatments for couples and individuals.

The Times (as reported here - https://www.theaustralian.com.au/ne...s/news-story/54f6d4a9ea7a785209f2249f5a450fed)

Agent66 is risking being renamed as Agent Legover.

I'm just waiting for this research to be read YKW and SOMEBODY is bound to create a spreadsheet to track their sex life with columns for a whole lot of variables I just don't want to think about!

This forum has become weird, marks sex spreadsheets and knifes everywhere... I just don’t know

I'm just waiting for this research to be read YKW and SOMEBODY is bound to create a spreadsheet to track their sex life with columns for a whole lot of variables I just don't want to think about!
I can just imagine the conditional data validation tables one could create to enable easy entry lol

Some of the arty photos left in SOTD and the like leave me presuming those who make them don't have time for sex, let alone creating an excel spreadsheet to record it.