Theres not such thing like La Toja with tallow.

Teiste

Gentlemen:
I have been receiving a lot of private messages asking me where to find a La Toja with tallow.Well,Im sorry to say,but there is not such thing like La Toja with tallow.I even thought myself that vintage La Toja shaving stick had tallow (that soap its yellow while the actual one has a white color) since its lather its so similar to other vintage soaps like Old Spice,Gibbs N53 or even Yardley but for what I know after a investigation and some research,La Toja always had a veggie formulation.The difference with the actual formulation is that the old one only had like 6 or 7 ingredients (I have that info somewhere,so as soon as I find it Ill post its ingredients).
So what yore looking for is La Toja vintage soap,not La Toja tallow soap.
These soaps are also really hard to find in Spain,so Im sorry to say that many are taken by the spanish La Toja lovers,since its a superb soap.
Hope that this post helps to clarify this and good luck in your quest finding a La Toja vintage soap.

Probably partly my mistake mentioning it was a tallow stick. I think it's been compared to and mistaken for having tallow because it (apparently) works very well.

Found this when I went Googling. It's got a contribution from Teiste. Disturbing to see that the Lea and La Toja ingredients list is almost identical. Lea is not one of my favorites.

Products Ingredients Database - The Shave Den

Lots of soaps use common ingredients. It's what makes them soaps and not cheese.

Unless they have those ingredients in the same proportions and same concentrations (which we'll never know), they will probably be very different.

Although La Troja contains no tallow (either a straight tallow, or Sodium Tallowate / Potassium Tallowate), it does contain Potassium Stearate and Sodium Stearate. These are both tallow-derived ingredients.

Basically:

Tallow = rendered animal fat (Usually beef & mutton, although pig fat plus other animal fats may be included - a byproduct of abattoirs)
Sodium Tallowate: Tallow + Sodium Hydroxide
Potassium Tallowate: Tallow + Potassium Hydroxide
Stearic Acid: Tallow treated with water under heat & pressure
Sodium Stearate: Stearic Acid + Sodium Hydroxide (simplified)
Potassium Stearate: Stearic Acid + Potassium Hydroxide (simplified)

In this case, I would argue that while they contain no direct tallow, the major ingredient (first on the list) is a tallow-derived ingredient, and are in fact tallow-based products in a combination formulation. If they were devoid of either Stearate, then yes I would agree that they are a veggie formulation.

Lots of soaps use common ingredients. It's what makes them soaps and not cheese.

Unless they have those ingredients in the same proportions and same concentrations (which we'll never know), they will probably be very different.

They probably are very different but not only are the ingredients almost identical they're also listed in almost the indentical order. A lot of soaps have similar ingredients but not to that extent. Admittedly Lea is usable (if I had the choice of Lea or a bar of hand soap I'd probably choose Lea) but the best thing about it is the plastic storage case which now houses a stick of Palmolive instead.

The whole tallow/veggie soap thing seems a little bit simplistic to me. I'm sure most of the soaps fall in between. Most if not all have as primary ingredient stearic acid and/or stearates (potassium and/or sodium) whcih as razormonsta has pointed out are generally animal fat derived. As I can determine at the moment, what is generally referred to as tallow based has tallowate (potassium or sodium) as a major ingredient. And the rest are all veggie based! Apparently. As far as I can tell on this basis there are no tallow based creams. Is that correct? And if so, why is that?

Although La Troja contains no tallow (either a straight tallow, or Sodium Tallowate / Potassium Tallowate), it does contain Potassium Stearate and Sodium Stearate. These are both tallow-derived ingredients.

Basically:

Tallow = rendered animal fat (Usually beef & mutton, although pig fat plus other animal fats may be included - a byproduct of abattoirs)
Sodium Tallowate: Tallow + Sodium Hydroxide
Potassium Tallowate: Tallow + Potassium Hydroxide
Stearic Acid: Tallow treated with water under heat & pressure
Sodium Stearate: Stearic Acid + Sodium Hydroxide (simplified)
Potassium Stearate: Stearic Acid + Potassium Hydroxide (simplified)

In this case, I would argue that while they contain no direct tallow, the major ingredient (first on the list) is a tallow-derived ingredient, and are in fact tallow-based products in a combination formulation. If they were devoid of either Stearate, then yes I would agree that they are a veggie formulation.
My friend:for what I understand after talking to the person in charge of the Manantiales La Toja line,the soaps are made with 100% vegetal oil,so no tallow in then or tallow derived ingredient.

Found this when I went Googling. It's got a contribution from Teiste. Disturbing to see that the Lea and La Toja ingredients list is almost identical. Lea is not one of my favorites.

Products Ingredients Database - The Shave Den

My friend:
La Toja was bought by Henkel,a german company,that closed the La Toja factory in northen Spain (but the Manantiales line) and sent it over Slovakia and Poland.In the period of time that La Toja was moving to one country to the other,Lascaray SL (LEA owners) made the shaving sticks.Now Lea have change its formulation and basically sucks and La Toja have changed it too (and its made in Slovakia) but its still closer to the third reformulation that the stick suffered (when it was made by Lea) so its quality remains.
The soap in a bowl is still made in in Spain and has the same ingredients than La Toja stick suffered 10 years ago (2nd reformulation).Here is the compendium I made to my forum with all the formulations,but the actual one:
Compendio de jabones de afeitar en barrita made in Spain. - foroafeitado

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok,forgot all that rubbish that I wrote ...theres such thing like La Toja with tallow:

428d4eb6.jpg

So it used to be made with tallow,like the good old soaps like Old Spice,Yardley and so on.

Thanks for the update Teieste.

Does your contact @ La Toja confirm that the Potassium Stearate / Sodium Stearate definitely comes from non-animal sources? This should be clearly defined in the material sheets from their suppliers.