Those powershaver thingos

SmallYetDeadly

Brotherhood of Fanbois
Just curious about those electric shavers as I've never tried one...

How close do they shave? s good as wet shaving when new/sharp?

Who's had them and why did they give them away to turn to the "Wet Side" of the force?

Tried one years ago but didn't like the hair pulling sensation I was getting. They might be a lot better nowadays.

Same experience as PJ.
I tried a Braun and a Phillips. Both were ok for the first month and as long as I had reasonable stubble but after that both of them pulled more than cut.
A good concept but poorly executed.

I used a Braun five or six times and found it tugged horribly and left my neck red, irritated and sore. I went back to the Mach 3 after using it. My brother has no problems with the same one though.

I have an older Braun 5770 which I got when I was a younger lad (17/18?).
I thought I would not get on well with it because I tended to find normal razor shaving (Schick Extreme3, etc) would result in nice red skin. Little did I know at the time that I was never really 'taught' how to shave properly by my Dad - I would just use the razor in the shower, no lather/gel/etc.

However, I found it pretty good and still use it now whenever travelling or needing a REALLY quick shave/touch-up.
The key is to have relatively short stubble and a DRY face. I can get a closer shave (and no irritation) on my top lip with the electric than I can with a razor (of any kind).
That said, I still much prefer the process of DE/wet-shaving and do that 90% of the time.

Thinking about it, I should probably replace the cutter & foil...hasn't been done in 10 years!
Just looked - $74!! Might be better value to replace the whole thing.

Thnaks for the input guys.

The men on my wife's side all use them exclusively and look at me like I have my head on backwards for wetshaving so I was a little curious.

They're convenient, but do the same job as DE shaving. Just without the romanticism.
I wouldn't bother changing.

Tried one years ago but didn't like the hair pulling sensation I was getting. They might be a lot better nowadays.

Same experience as PJ.
I tried a Braun and a Phillips. Both were ok for the first month and as long as I had reasonable stubble but after that both of them pulled more than cut.
A good concept but poorly executed.

I used a Braun five or six times and found it tugged horribly and left my neck red, irritated and sore. I went back to the Mach 3 after using it. My brother has no problems with the same one though.

^^^^ This - horrible, would not touch them and even the salespeople at the shaver shop say not as close as wet shaving

I bought a Braun in the mid 90's. It was OK right at the beginning but these rechargeable types run on battery whether they are plugged in or not. As the battery capacity (fairly early) starts to have a lower maximum voltage, the motor is driven fractionally slower and you start to get your hair tugged. If you have any moisture, i.e sweat, performance turns to crap. I didn't even use it that much. POS. A normal (non-rechargeable $100 jobby) remington was given to me on my 21st. It was a bigger POS. Gave me a a big red rash the first time I used it.
Even after these experiences I was/am still tempted by their apparent convenience and speed.

The electrics can serve a purpose. Had a rechargeable one many many years ago when I was in school and the Army. It was a lot easier than waiting in line for a sink to use in the morning. No need for: water, soap, mirror, aftershave or a dry towel. It helped.

aaaahh, the tugging and pulling. combined witht he poor shave, a 5 o'clock shadow right after you shave. No where near wet shaving with a cartridge and miles away from a good DE shave.

It's probably one of the biggest selling shaving machine around so why doesn't everybody that uses it now have problems? Maybe we wet shavers have extraordinailry sensitive, classy skins requiring the use of more subtle, time consuming techniques. Yeah that's it. We're just in a different league. Just tell your in-laws that they're a bunch of heathens, SmallYetDeadly.

Last edited:
I carted for years before I tried a electric. Got a braun and then got bored with it and went back. The shaves were average. Then got another about 4 years ago and put up with belt sanding my face til it was bright red and hot, and still got a shit shave, until I decided to try proper wet shaving.

I've no idea where the lectric is now and I don't care.