Thoughts on bestshave.net?

mr626

ARKO! TERMINATOR!
Hi guys,

Just wondering if many of you have purchased from bestshave.net and if you would recommend them. They seem to have some great prices.

Also, is their website always this problematic? I've successfully been able to view it once, every other time I've gone there recently I get a page about 'system setup' for zenstore (in other words, whoever is managing their web server needs to wake up!).

Hi guys,

Just wondering if many of you have purchased from bestshave.net and if you would recommend them. They seem to have some great prices.

Also, is their website always this problematic? I've successfully been able to view it once, every other time I've gone there recently I get a page about 'system setup' for zenstore (in other words, whoever is managing their web server needs to wake up!).

I have purchased there no problems. Takes a couple of weeks to arrive.

Thanks for the reply. Well, the website is still non-functioning for me :sad2:

Try a different browser. Also, flush your DNS Cache (if you know how), otherwise shut down your PC, reboot your modem, and then restart your PC.

He does move web hosting companies regularly as the site is popular. I have had 4 orders from him, always fast delivery and well packaged. Prices are insanely good, and he usually has some 'orders over $X get free postage' deal, and yes it applies worldwide.

Best things to get: PermaSharp Super blades (cardboard boxed), Strypic Pencils, Alum, Arko.

Try a different browser. Also, flush your DNS Cache (if you know how), otherwise shut down your PC, reboot your modem, and then restart your PC.

He does move web hosting companies regularly as the site is popular. I have had 4 orders from him, always fast delivery and well packaged. Prices are insanely good, and he usually has some 'orders over $X get free postage' deal, and yes it applies worldwide.

Best things to get: PermaSharp Super blades (cardboard boxed), Strypic Pencils, Alum, Arko.

Flush...DNS???

(just kidding- linux sys. admin here ;))

Based on what you just mentioned, I'd say he might be in the middle of setting up the site again after having changed hosting companies. Here's what I get if I visit the site now:

Hello. Thank you for loading Zen Cart™.

You are seeing this page for one or more reasons:

This is your first time using Zen Cart™ and you haven't yet completed the normal Installation procedure.
If this is the case for you, you will need to upload the "zc_install" folder using your FTP program, and then run zc_install/index.php via your browser (or reload this page to see a link to it).

Your /includes/configure.php and/or /admin/includes/configure.php file contains invalid path information and/or invalid database-connection information.
If you recently edited your configure.php files for any reason, or maybe moved your site to a different folder or different server, then you'll need to review and update all your settings to the correct values for your server.
See the Online FAQ and Tutorials area on the Zen Cart™ website for assistance.
Additional Details: includes/configure.php file contents invalid. ie: DIR_FS_CATALOG not valid or not set

To begin installation ...

The Installation Documentation can be read by clicking here: Documentation
You will need to upload the "zc_install" folder using your FTP program, and then run zc_install/index.php via your browser (or reload this page to see a link to it).
The Online FAQ and Tutorials area on the Zen Cart™ website will also be of value if you run into difficulties.

So yeah, his store runs on zencart, which isn't completely configured yet.

Flush...DNS???

(just kidding- linux sys. admin here ;))

Based on what you just mentioned, I'd say he might be in the middle of setting up the site again after having changed hosting companies. Here's what I get if I visit the site now:

So yeah, his store runs on zencart, which isn't completely configured yet.

Looks like he has set up a redirect, which bounces to a new A record. He would be backing up ZenCart and uploading to the new host, then point the www CNAME at the new host.

Happens about once a year. This is the second time I can remember :)

Looks like he has set up a redirect, which bounces to a new A record. He would be backing up ZenCart and uploading to the new host, then point the www CNAME at the new host.

Happens about once a year. This is the second time I can remember :)

Cool. Just didn't inspire confidence as it was the first thing I saw when I went to his site. Glad to know its normally good.

Edit: looks like its back now :)

Wow all that happen to me once but I think it was on my TI when the tape player chged speeds on me!
Buy a #6 brush for me! They're great. Really have not had a problem with them.

Last edited:
Basically one of the cheap razors is very good, the #6 brush has good reviews. Get a couple of sticks of Arko, an Alum and a Strypic, and a selection of blades. Best Starter kit out there.

Basically one of the cheap razors is very good, the #6 brush has good reviews. Get a couple of sticks of Arko, an Alum and a Strypic, and a selection of blades. Best Starter kit out there.

I ordered quite a nice selection of stuff :)

1 x Metal Shaving Cup
5 x Arko adventure shaving cream 94 ml tube (Arkoadventure)
6 x Wooden Handled Shaving Brushes no:6 (brush6)
1 x 300 shark super stainless de blades

All for $54 shipped- awesome.

The arko and brushes are for the wet shaving gift packs I want to make for christmas gifts (with a brush for me to use when travelling). The metal shave cup is for travelling too- I figure a porcelain bowl/cup wouldn't survive as well as a metal one.

The Shark blades I'm pretty impressed with (used one from the sample pack I got via PIF). At $25 for 300 plus free shipping I couldn't resist.

I have no idea how they can sell and ship at the prices that they do. You might want to check some of their other shave creams; i.e. dalan d'men, Very nice product.

Guys, I'm tossing up between a few things to top up my kit from these guys and I wouldn't mind a bit of learned opinion.

I thought I'd grab the acacia shave bowl because it's cheap and will look nice next to my sink. Seeing as everything looks outrageously cheap, I'll take the chance to grab some more blades as well. I thought I'd try a 5 pack each of PermaSharp Super's and Wilkinson Sword's, does anyone think this is a bonehead move for a newbie?

My main mission is some kind of aftershave though. The last two days, the razor rash has been a nightmare. Can anyone recommend something from these guys? I'm thinking I might get a tub of the Zdrave Cream, but the Arko creams are cheap enough to be able to try without much consequence. Can anyone comment as to effectiveness and scent of them?

Last edited:
Guys, I'm tossing up between a few things to top up my kit from these guys and I wouldn't mind a bit of learned opinion.

I thought I'd grab the acacia shave bowl because it's cheap and will look nice next to my sink. Seeing as everything looks outrageously cheap, I'll take the chance to grab some more blades as well. I thought I'd try a 5 pack each of PermaSharp Super's and Wilkinson Sword's, does anyone think this is a bonehead move for a newbie?

My main mission is some kind of aftershave though. The last two days, the razor rash has been a nightmare. Can anyone recommend something from these guys? I'm thinking I might get a tub of the Zdrave Cream, but the Arko creams are cheap enough to be able to try without much consequence. Can anyone comment as to effectiveness and scent of them?

The bowl doesn't matter too much- I'm currently using a $2 bowl I got from a supermarket but I've ordered a copper bowl from bestshave mainly for aesthetics, but also I figure if it really is made of copper then it will hopefully retain heat better (I fill my bowl with hot water and let it sit while I shower to warm it up for the lather). As you say, they are plenty cheap, so go nuts.

Given the price of blades (particularly at bestshave) I think it would be hard to say buying ANY quality of blades is terribly bad. Ideally, you want to try a blade before you buy I guess since everyone is different, but worst case you can always sell them if you don't like them.

I can't comment on any of the aftershave stuff they sell as I've never tried it.

Go to the pharmacy or supermarket, and get some Nivea Sensitive post shave balm, smells pretty good and soothes the skin, about $10 a bottle.

My routine is;
  • shave,
  • wash bowl, sink and brush,
  • rinse face with cold water
  • pat dry
  • splash on Dickson Witch hazel, 14% alcohol, tines the skin
  • smear with nivea sensitive post shave balm.

Thanks for the thoughts, lads. glenos, I think I'll take your advice and try the Nivea and delay my purchase for a couple of weeks until I have a better idea. I'm getting ahead of myself a bit because I'm so keen to charge in and start trying stuff, but I'll try and find my patience and use it a tad.

mr626, I really like your idea of making shave kits as presents and this website makes it exceptionally cheap. I'll be thanking you profusely for the idea when Xmas comes around.

Razormonsta, if you stick your head in again and see this, could you comment on the Arko creams so I know for the future if you can? Pretty curious about them, there'll certainly come a time when I can't afford anything good.

Thanks for the thoughts, lads. glenos, I think I'll take your advice and try the Nivea and delay my purchase for a couple of weeks until I have a better idea. I'm getting ahead of myself a bit because I'm so keen to charge in and start trying stuff, but I'll try and find my patience and use it a tad.

mr626, I really like your idea of making shave kits as presents and this website makes it exceptionally cheap. I'll be thanking you profusely for the idea when Xmas comes around.

Razormonsta, if you stick your head in again and see this, could you comment on the Arko creams so I know for the future if you can? Pretty curious about them, there'll certainly come a time when I can't afford anything good.

Well, I know its usually hard to buy gifts for the males of the family (particularly something good for around $30, which is the budget we try to stick to). As it stands, I should have no problem putting together wet shaving start packs for that price. The only thing that I'm still hunting for is a suitable wooden box to put each pack in.