Thoughts on the DSCosmetic G7 knot

Gargravarr

Our resident snake charmer
The DSCosmetic G7 is currently the most numerically advanced synthetic knot on the market. Who knows what happened to G6? :rolleyes: Hopefully that particular pissing match will stop now, it's looking silly. When I was running my fingers over the dry knot, I was prepared to be disappointed, given that I have been so happy with the AP G5 series, particularly the G5C, but read on...

This G7 is a 30mm size, replacing the Boss I had in a CaYuen handle. It is super-ultra-dense, so even allowing for perspective in the pic below, it's still a lot smaller than the 28mm G5A (on the right). I've followed my usual practice of setting it as high as possible in the handle, and I'm glad I did.
g7.png

The G7 is still a bit out of round after being squished in its padded bag, but I expect it to get over that eventually. The tips of the dry brush aren't as soft as those of the G5A, and it has LOTS of backbone. If I dunk it in the sink, the added weight indicates that it holds a huge amount of water. The spring of the dry fibres isn't as obvious when the brush is wet, and it easily splays as much as I want it to, given how much backbone it has. It loads up a heap of soap, and easily produces heaps of lather, with no hogging. It lends itself equally to a scrubbing and a painting style of lathering. If you like to mash your brush, you'll most likely find it too stiff for comfort. I expect smaller versions might be less so.

Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised. I'm not going to make any more comparisons to the G5 knots, as it's a totally different beast and definitely a keeper.

Nice review!

My G7 "lather master" from Frank Shaving is near perfection as far as synthetics go.

The knot/loft are in perfect proportion.
The bulb knot gives a splay nearly unheard of with a synth. It's so natural and easy, no excessive pressure and no flop either.

The fibre itself (a seldom discussed factor) is IME superior to Omega Evo and Simpson Platinum fibres.

It's soft but not make up brush soft. It has a nice, present face feel without any scritch. It also generates lather faster than most other synthetics I've used.
Only the Muhle STF surpasses the G7 fibre.

Nice review!

My G7 "lather master" from Frank Shaving is near perfection as far as synthetics go.

The bulb knot gives a splay nearly unheard of with a synth. It's so natural and easy, no excessive pressure and no flop either.

The fibre itself (a seldom discussed factor) is IME superior to Omega Evo and Simpson Platinum fibres.

It's soft but not make up brush soft. It has a nice, present face feel without any scritch. It also generates lather faster than most other synthetics I've used.

which G7 did you get? specs wise?

which G7 did you get? specs wise?

I've got the blue beehive handle and the knot is 26mm/55mm.

Glue bump is small so the splay/backbone balance is awesome.

I use only Muhle STF at home and the G7 is for the travel but...however, it's so good that I'll be using it at home also!

Nice review!

I saw your comparisons on another forum and was impressed so cheers for the valuable feedback!

A250c403907c740569ed36148588a94d1n.jpg

You mean a light blue and black beehive handle

Yup...this one.
The knot is superb and the handle is sexy and very ergonomic.

Still doesn't beat Muhle STF!
I doubt anything will!

I saw your comparisons on another forum and was impressed so cheers for the valuable feedback!

Glad it was helpful.

To be very honest, we were travelling at the time and I got lazy with the photo hosting thing, but I'll post my review here also.

It also doesn't beat the AP Shave Co G5C in my opinion. (I've never tried the Mühle knot.) But it's only the difference between a really excellent latherer and a knot that also performs excellently, but is truly luxurious. But good to have both... :smug:

I'll be getting my G5C knot next month (ordered from TWCo.).
Looking forward to comparing against the G7. I've got a nice hexagonal omega handle ready for it.