Time for a Vostok (Russian Automatic)

mr626

ARKO! TERMINATOR!
Hello all,

I already own two watches, which is realistically one more than I can justify. I've just purchased another though!

@Monsta_AU might be particularly interested in this one, as I know he has a Vostok on his wish list

russian-military-vostok-komandirskie-tank-watch-211306.jpg

This is a Vostok Amphibia, a very well know watch to many and probably the only 'true' dive watch that can be had for under $60USD. They are available in many different case/bezel/backing combos- the one I've ordered is relatively conservative for a Vostok. Basically, they are the AK47 of watches- ruggard, functional and easy/cheap to fix should the need arise.

The bands that come with them are generally considered to be rubbish, so the plan is to replace with a nato strap (still deciding on colour...any thoughts?).

Looking forward to taking delivery of it. With the nato strap, it should sit nicely between my Seiko SKX007 and my G-Shock as a watch that can be dressed up or down as the occasion demands.

Some further reading / tempting for you all:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f54/vostok-amphibia-analysis-design-methodology-491757.html
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/show-your-amphibias-491664.html

I purchased mine from here, seemed to be the cheapest once shipping was taken into account:

http://chistopolcity.com/

Thank/curse me later...

Very tempting

Nice watch and dirt cheap.

The way this is going we will all be like Zaphod Beeblebrox with two heads and three arms so we can use our razor, blades and watches more often.

Very tempting

See how it feels?! ;)

You could always get a vintage one Mark- wouldn't be out of the question to get a birth year one either.

Nice watch and dirt cheap.

The way this is going we will all be like Zaphod Beeblebrox with two heads and three arms so we can use our razor, blades and watches more often.

Indeed. Does that mean we also need to steal a spaceship? :p

Very, very tempting ....

I'm looking at a few of these... damn enabler/button pushers.

I'm looking at a few of these... damn enabler/button pushers.

You're welcome! ;)

As you are probably aware, the stock bracelets are widely regarded as being trash- budget for a nato strap or similar too.

Stock bracelet would be fine in the short term. But at the price, I am glad they put all the dollars into the watch itself and not the bracelet.

Looking at some of the newer examples..... the Amphibia Turbina range is very nice and still very competitive on price, even if it is approaching 4x the cost of the more 'Soviet utilitarian' styled standard Amphibia.

russian-military-vostok-komandirskie-tank-watch-211306.jpg

Sure, the finish on the case isn't the greatest, but for $230 it would make an awesome Daily Beater while not looking cheap.

See, for that kind of money I'd be going Seiko or Citizen personally. SKX007 or Orange Monster would easily be doable.

The attraction of the 'original' Amphibia is more than just the price for me- it's a bit different and you are basically getting a new-old stock vintage diver in some ways (manufacturing process apparently hasn't changed that much since 1960s).
If you wanted something a little more up market from Vostok, I'd be looking at an Amphibia SE. For example:

Vostok-Amphibian-2416-110333B-1-600x900.jpg

You are looking at around $120USD plus postage (only available from this particular seller though and they sell out fast when in stock). On the plus side, I think that they look a bit less 'cheap' than the standard ones, and the bracelets that come with them are apparently MUCH better (the pictured mesh one in particular).

Just my opinion anyway- I'm far from an expert!

Yes, the Orange Monster is on the list - J variant thanks. That said the Monster's are just about everywhere, I would prefer something a little different for a daily. And really, the above watch really isn't that expensive while having a very different look yet still being spartan and tough.

The SE is nice but hard to get. I keep an eye on Meranom but they have been relatively quiet lately.

The Komandirskie ones are cheap, and easily modified. A number of WUS guys strip the Silver or Gold coating off them and apply some judicious patina to the underlying brass. And they end up looking pretty good!