Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
True!

It is official - http://www.worldwhiskyday.com/when-world-whisky-day/

See, it has a website so it must be legit ...

copy-logo.png

Wee said he,
Not to the point of weeeeeeeeee ;)

Wisers 18y/o did the trick :)

Just finished my first bottle of Knob Creek. The single barrel. at 120 proof, just a bit too much bourbon...

Cannot drink scotch, blended or malt. It all tastes like antiseptic.

10yo Ardbeg :)
Nice.
Was a tough choice for me between that, Uigeadail, Auriverges, J Walker Green Label, J.P Wisers 18y/o or Chivas 18 y/o.
Tough choice!

My favourite is an 18-year old Glenfiddich followed very closely by Auchentoshan.
"Ye cannae hand a man a grander dram(mer)" for those who recall the ad! And you'd be in my age group if you do :LOL: .

My favourite would be the Yamazaki 18, followed by the Ardbeg (Corryvreckan, Uigedail, 10 YO), Bruichladdich (Octomore 5.1) and Laphroig Triple wood in no particular order.

World Rum Day next tues I think?
Okay, I'm in.

World Rum Day next tues I think?
Name me a good rum to try and I might see if I can find any.
The local brew is nasty, and I've had Mount Gay which was ok.

W
My favourite would be the Yamazaki 18, followed by the Ardbeg (Corryvreckan, Uigedail, 10 YO), Bruichladdich (Octomore 5.1) and Laphroig Triple wood in no particular order.

Okay, I'm in.
Why the Yama with the rest being peat monsters?

W

Why the Yama with the rest being peat monsters?

The very first bottle of scotch I got was the Glen Morangie 18 YO. It was nice, smooth...then it got boring....

I then was exposed to the Japanese Yamazaki 12 YO through a Japanese video game. Out of curiosity, I went to get a bottle in Dan Murphy's. Turned out a little harsh and I didn't quite liked it. I had a few of my close buds over and none of them liked it. THEN, over months I grew to like how harsh it is and it is very exciting.

Later on, one of my friend brought an Ardbeg 10 YO to my place. Initial whiff wasn't good. I didn't liked it at all. Days gone by, and one day I actually am curious about it and my olfactory preference have come to like it. Then there's no turning back from the peated monsters.

Back to the Yama -
One day while drinking with a mate in one of Melbourne's Izakayas, I noticed they stocked the Yamazaki 18YO. It wasn't cheap, about $30 dollars for a nip. Took the plunge and was rewarded with an excellent whiskey. It smells sweet, maple syrup like but not over powering. Upon sipping it, your mind expects it to be sweet but when you actually sip it, it isn't! I spent about 40 minutes sniffing the glass and slowly savouring it. I've decided on that night that I will get a bottle. Shame it was sold out every where that time. This was back in 2011. Finally in 2013, Chez Regine (Now Whiskey & Alement), stocks them for $270 I think. But searching online, I found out that Masters of Malt stocks them, for $220 shipped. I got a bottle for myself, and then a year later my friends got another bottle from Japan for my birthday. It's the one Non-Islay that I will always come back to.

However, today I went to see what is the current pricing. Nick's is selling it for $999 a bottle. Almost 5 fold now. I think I will quarantine my bottles.....
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: