Tradere (OC) and Blackbird (CC)

Rhinehoth

... and these are a few of my favourite soaps.
rBwMNNa.jpg

ExsLgTr.jpg

SGPrlh1.jpg

Looking forward to shaving with these razors and comparing them head to head. I believe that both of these razors are rated as a 7 in aggressiveness.

I had my first shave this morning with the above mentioned razors. On the left side of my face I used the Tradere and on the right the Blackbird. Soap used was pots of milk and razor blades that came with the Tradere (Personna). The Tradere is a large and weighty razor (especially the head) and makes the Blackbird seem a svelte razor. I used two passes, with the grain and across the grain for both razors.

Efficiency; the Blackbird wins this round hands down and is the only razor (apart from my R41) that gave me a 2 pass BBS shave. The Tradere is efficient compared to other razors (RS10, Blutt, Apollo, etc) but not the Blackbird.

Aggressiveness; Neither of these is overly aggressive and both razors are quite safe. With an R41 razor you need to be attentive and pay heed to your technique when shaving. These two razors (for me at least) are quite mindless razors (you can be thinking of other things when shaving) and the Tradere is the less “aggressive” of the two.

Smoothness; The Tradere is a smoother razor and you can barely feel the blade. That is not to say that the Blackbird is not a smooth razor, it is a smooth razor. It is that the Tradere is on an another level of smoothness, like the Blackbird is on an another level of efficiency.

Conclusion; Both of these are fantastic razors and both are keepers. If you enjoy blade feel, efficiency and smoothness then get the Blackbird (you won’t be disappointed). If you don’t enjoy blade feel, but you want acceptable efficiency and exceptional smoothness then the Tradere is for you.
For many years I stayed away from the Blackbird because of it’s reputation for lots of blade feel, which quite honestly I just discovered to be unfounded. I believe that both of these razors are smooth enough to be used daily.