Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Rather than have it lost in the AusFarce thread I've posted some info here on the Tom Bihn bags I own and use.

The Cadet is my go to for day trips with laptop and papers. The 'checkpoint friendly' laptop cache on 'rails' is great - I do get some looks from security staff on occasions though. Not that this bothers me, especially when I've gone around the guy in front of me messing about trying to get his laptop out of his bag and holding everybody up. Whip around and slip the Cadet down and through before you know it.

The Tri-Star is kept for overnight and up to three night trips (depending on clothes needed) and while I don't have the pull out cache on my Tri-Star (I'm not sure it would work as well on this bag). I've only used the backpack straps a couple of times - but it was handy when I did.

For longer trips or when clothing needs demand more space I take both

Great idea @Mark1966 . But speak to me of duffle bags.

I was recently converted to these when I scored one at a car-boot sale a few years ago. The zip is tricky but for the price I picked it up with the intent of storing our wildlife rescue gear in the car (this bag has everything from gloves, towels, blades, thick-gauge wire-cutters, strainers, etc., etc.,). But before I had a chance to move everything across to it from the back of the car I used it for a two-night trip. Was bloody perfect. Easy access, well conforms to shape, transports well, strong, etc. But, alas, this old Country Road bag (must be close to 20 years old) is getting tired and the zip is becoming a pain, so I want another.

Again, my research finds that the Fjallraven No.4 (Large) might be the go. But I see the likes of Tom Bihn has some duffels too. But in your experience which of their models might be comparative? I like the traditional cigar/sausage shape of the duffel (it offers great access and transportation).
I want something that will hold enough for a weekend in civilisation (uncivilised accommodations are covered by backpacks)
I want natural materials (e.g., canvas)
I want good hardware (e.g., YKK zippers at a minimum, brass even better)
I want the option for a shoulder strap
I don't want wheels.
I don't want iPad/laptop compartments

Well I know nothing about duffels BUT do know that most of the 'one bag' or travel light type websites are focussed around carry on luggage rather than a 'duffel' per see and almost always the recommended ones are nylon construction.

I'd say the Tom Bihn are over engineered for your needs BUT Red Oxx gets good reviews especially of their Air Boss. Not targeted to your needs though AND nylon. They also have duffels but, nylon once again ...

I'm feeling the love @Drubbing, feeling the love ...

Great idea @Mark1966 . But speak to me of duffle bags.

I was recently converted to these when I scored one at a car-boot sale a few years ago. The zip is tricky but for the price I picked it up with the intent of storing our wildlife rescue gear in the car (this bag has everything from gloves, towels, blades, thick-gauge wire-cutters, strainers, etc., etc.,). But before I had a chance to move everything across to it from the back of the car I used it for a two-night trip. Was bloody perfect. Easy access, well conforms to shape, transports well, strong, etc. But, alas, this old Country Road bag (must be close to 20 years old) is getting tired and the zip is becoming a pain, so I want another.

Again, my research finds that the Fjallraven No.4 (Large) might be the go. But I see the likes of Tom Bihn has some duffels too. But in your experience which of their models might be comparative? I like the traditional cigar/sausage shape of the duffel (it offers great access and transportation).
I want something that will hold enough for a weekend in civilisation (uncivilised accommodations are covered by backpacks)
I want natural materials (e.g., canvas)
I want good hardware (e.g., YKK zippers at a minimum, brass even better)
I want the option for a shoulder strap
I don't want wheels.
I don't want iPad/laptop compartments

http://www.tombihn.com/PROD/TB0906.html

Covers all those boxes but not cheap. Your grand kids will use it for their holidays

http://www.tombihn.com/PROD/TB0906.html

Covers all those boxes but not cheap. Your grand kids will use it for their holidays
SOLD!
TB0906-L01_1024x682.jpg

Seriously - build quality is second to none.

Just don't get it in purple please

Yeah the Aeronaut is a great bag but it is nylon construction - is that OK?

Very popular but not my style.

(Have they re-designed this @Nonick?)

It's the maximum size for many airlines carry on baggage limits.

Seriously - build quality is second to none.

Just don't get it in purple please
They do look good....might see if I can track one down to look at live. So far I'm sold on whatever colour goes with a brunette....
....I'm brunette you see.

Yeah the Aeronaut is a great bag but it is nylon construction - is that OK?

Very popular but not my style.

(Have they re-designed this @Nonick?)

What's wrong with nylon? You'd like a silk bag?

I'm not sure if it's been redesigned. It's one of their original staple most popular products so I doubt they'd want to fiddle with it too much.

It's not my style either, but the man wants a duffle no? I see they have a smaller one now too

What's wrong with nylon? You'd like a silk bag?

I'm not sure if it's been redesigned. It's one of their original staple most popular products so I doubt they'd want to fiddle with it too much.

It's not my style either, but the man wants a duffle no? I see they have a smaller one now too
I think @Mark1966 is asking about the nylon because I said I wanted a natural material, like canvas. He's just a stickler for detail, which I like.....in this circumstance anyway

Yeah @Nonick they do - I know somebody with the parents having these and the kids the 30s - a very organised (and well off!) family!

I can't recall it having backpack straps but am probably wrong on that. I could post a question in the TB forum but they are all mad there, make this place look sane!