Travel strop

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
Anyone got advice on or experiences with travel strops - DIY or COTS?

Keeping the title of this thread general for future reference on travel strops, but in this instance my only issue is time. Short notice that I'm travelling and I can't not take a straight along - it's for close to a fortnight so can't get by with a clutch of shave-ready razors.

Paddle would probably be better than a hanging. But I've got no experience of this.

@razorguy travels a lot and so could give you his opinion.

When I travel I always take with me my Mastro Livi travel loom strop. It perfectly fits my bag and makes the very best strop for traveling, not to mention the fact it provides the excellent and superior stropping quality when you are on the go.
Is the travel loom strop shorter than a normal strop?
(Can you put a picture here of it please? Thanks.)

if your staying in a hotel ou would most likely be able to get away with a handing strop since will have hooks in the bathroom or on the back of a door for hanging towels or the such on. and to my mind would be as easy to pack as taking along a leather belt but for use anywhere a paddle most likely would be a best bet.then you can always just hook a hanging strop over your toe and strop upside down if worst comes to worst :)
i guess it depends on spare room in your luggage and the such really

if your staying in a hotel ou would most likely be able to get away with a handing strop since will have hooks in the bathroom or on the back of a door for hanging towels or the such on. and to my mind would be as easy to pack as taking along a leather belt but for use anywhere a paddle most likely would be a best bet.then you can always just hook a hanging strop over your toe and strop upside down if worst comes to worst :)
i guess it depends on spare room in your luggage and the such really
I don't think rolling your hanging strop (like a belt) is a good idea... I wouldn't do it.

Is the travel loom strop shorter than a normal strop?
(Can you put a picture here of it please? Thanks.)

Mastro Livi travel loom strop is shorter than his "small" loom strop. In the following links you can take a look at my Mastro Livi travel loom strop.

https://plus.google.com/+StraightRazorChannel/posts/ieS19wrBMKg
https://plus.google.com/+StraightRazorChannel/posts/jZA7PNtSsdw
https://plus.google.com/+StraightRazorChannel/posts/jZA7PNtSsdw

I don't think rolling your hanging strop (like a belt) is a good idea... I wouldn't do it.

I wouldn't do that as well.

I should grab a photo of the one that Still's and I ended up buying. It's pretty much as you describe @Substance, made by an Aussie member of that forum.

They are 50mm wide, maybe 350lg, Ø3 tube at each end. Leather strap through the tube, left long on one end to tying to towel rails etc, the other short and ends with a nice timber bead as a handle. They roll up into a small plastic container (sistema?) about Ø45 x 55high. Sweet little strop, works well. Just roll it up, throw it into the container (lid stays attached so you can't lose it) and throw it into your bag. Very much like this although mine is untanned and has a smaller container.

P1000290.jpg

This is a write up I'd did when I made mine, so thought others may be able to benefit from it here also.

This is my take on a DIY roo travel strop for those who are trying to find a easy and very portable option for a travel strop.

the materials
A grade razor stop quality vegi tanned Roo leather strip - I used 800x75mm
Leather lacing - I used 1m x 5mm (3'x1/4") Roo same as the strop
1/4" stainless tube - 2 off 75mm (3") long - brass tube or similar could be used also but the stainless was from work for free.
Tarzan grip contact cement

the tools
Stanley knife
clamps
hard metal of wood for clamping glued surfaces

the how to
I sourced my leather from Newforce pty ltd (outthere09) on eBay he is in Airlie beach in Queensland Australia great lad to deal with, contact him about your size and quality you want as it isn't always listed and he will supply to suit your needs
Was $54AUD delivered (only 600km) for 2 strips and 2m of lace

the leather came stripped to width nice and straight so only had to square and trim the ends up
used the Stanley knife cuts the ends with a steel ruler as a guide
They came out 750mm and 800mm after trimming both

i then just marked a line at 3" from each end as the extent of the folded and glued area
applied glue to this area
laid the tube in place
Folded over pulled the tube in tight and clamped between 2 stainless bars and some plastic sheet to protect the leather and left to dry for an hour
then repeated for the other end

i then sanded the back completely with dry 2000 grit wet & dry grit to smooth some minor rough bits, so now it is like a very fine swayed feel to it for my linen side
no need for any sanding etc for the front
then threaded the lacing through the tube 6" at the bottom and 1'6" at the top
tied them both off at a similar length as a D ring & left the rest to hang
i added a bead to the bottom to hang to.

job done ready to use roll it up throw it in the travel kit

I note this is a plagiarisation of an early design on making a Roo travel strop long ago, I just Wish I had thought of it myself.

Last edited by a moderator: