TV Shows worth watching

Minorci

Have a big thread ;)

My picks for stuff on at the moment

Boardwalk Empire
Hell on Wheels - fkn fantastic first ep. Will give Deadwood a serious run for it's money
Fringe
Terra Nova
The Walking Dead
Homeland - not a bad show. Has the cutie from romeo and juliet movie all grown up
Hung
Revenge - bit soapy will probably stop watching this one.
Strike Back - now finished

That's all of the top of my head

I download what I watch.....

Top Gear UK (and US)
Big Bang Theory

That's about it really. I do grab anything Trek-related.

Just finished watching Justified.

I still have deadwood to try and watch, and to finish Entourage.

Watching:

Misfits
Merlin
Walking Dead
Dexter
Community
The Office
Parks and Recreation
Family Guy
American Dad
Game of Thrones
True Blood
Person of Interest
Spooks
An Idiot Abroad
Boardwalk Empire

I couldn't get into boardwalk empire, I might try again.
I couldn't get into misfits either.

yeah there's the oldies like deadwood, the wire, the office.

The only recent show I watched the shit out of, was Game of Thrones. Very well made for a fantasy series TV show. (pretty straight forward medieval period action/drama at this point in the series)

Last edited:
Currently in my queue

From the US:
NCIS (vanilla and LA)
CSI (Vegas and Miami)
Fringe
Mythbusters
Ringer
From the UK
Grand Designs
Gadget Show
QI
Misfits

Not too much intellectual stimulation granted, but it keeps me out of trouble.
Nothing has matched my all time favourite: The Shield.

I don't get to watch much. I like to think it's my pursuit of more intellectual stimulation, but really it's 3 kids and not much time, or stuff I'm interested in. It's all CSI (x4), NCSI, Law & Order (x3) and forensic variants thereof. I'm sure someone has written a thesis on the cultural popularity of cop shows. There's only so many designer-clad models in a lab coats/at crime scenes, using preposterous technology and impossible databases I can take. I'm not good at suspension of disbelief with such stuff.

However, I rarely miss Modern Family. Mostly because of Gloria. And Phil. There goes my intellectual pretences.

And isn't Good News World tanking fantastically badly? It's like a slowmotion traincrash stuck on a tape loop. If Ben Elton were on it, it would have been pulled to stop the bleeding by now. Surely McDermott and Robins are cringing at the material being dished up for them?

Last edited:
I remember and miss GNW on the ABC.

I also remember Paul McDermott when he was funny - DAAS and Big Gig days.

Poor, poor Mikey Robins. Much more suited for radio than tv.

I went to see DAAS at the Octagon many a year ago.

Nothing funnier than necrophilia jokes, they really should be mainstream comedy. DAAS were also slightly disturbed back then.

I think I've seen that concert. Is it the same one where Paul sings the song about the Sailor's Arms?

I still have their CD, ICON.

Well true Blood and Burn Notice are over for another season.

Warehouse 13 is back but I doubt it has the legs for any more after this one.

Also watching Teen Wolf which is ok but now has just finished Season Two.

Dexter is back on 5th September!

As Groucho Marx said, " I find television very educational. Everytime someone turns it on, I go and read a book."

I have no time or paitence for most fot he reality competition or the reality drama on at the moment. Combined with 4 kids, work and study I can't sit still long enough to watch anything.

I dont care for reality tv either. When I watch a tv show its for the escapism.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a mystery to me why the muppets who do the programming assume that Aussies won't enjoy a higher standard of content. I blame Foxtel though. Deeper pockets mean they can pinch great shows like The Newsroom, Boss, Boardwalk Empire, etc. Not much hope for them on FTA channels, who'd actually have to spend some cash and take a risk rather than run some shitty dance show catering to morons.

Even the news is getting shit.

I was really stoked when channel 10 ran Homeland, I really hope the reception that it got inspires them to bring more quality programming out here.

The new series of Doctor Who is out.... and the ABC is streaming the new episodes literally 10 minutes after it finishes in the UK. Amazing move to put the show on iView at 5.30am on a Sunday morning in Australia! Much Kudos to the ABC, although not broadcasting it until 7.30pm the Saturday following is not the best move - 7.30pm Sunday evening is a much better option and it would do well in that slot.

Bit of a dearth of things to watch right now, no Top Gear UK, and Big Bang Theory is on hiatus until the end of the month. Most of the US shows start up in the next 2 weeks after their summer break.

I'm hoping Community is back but I also kind of wish it didn't come back. I think its had its day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the US shows start up in the next 2 weeks after their summer break.

Anyone found anything new that is meant to be good?

I've discovered Treme which is now going into its 3rd season. About life in New Orleans after Katrina, and its cultural effects.

I love it so far. Written by the guys behind the Wire, and has a fair few actors from it too.

I started to watch Revolution, but the premise that an EMP makes aircraft literally drop vertically out of the sky with no forward momentum made me think wow, this is gonna be some unimaginative soapy shit.

Turns out I was right.

It's a good concept, poorly executed.

For those that haven't seen it, it's set 15 years after a worldwide event kills all electrical capabilities.