Two razors one soap one brush

gthomas04

...was Drubbing's first. AKA Captain Tightarse
Didnt want to hijack the original thread so......

Decide to return to the SE after an absence using a Rose cream that someone kindly sent (sorry kind person too lazy to search back to see who you are) and the Chinese cheapy Badger.

Certainly a different technique needed for SE and DE. Decided to try a second pass (dont normally do this) but swapped the SE for the Slim. The combination worked brilliantly - could be much firmer with the Slim than the SE so could get all the little bits I missed with teh SE. Interesting experiment that I guess only a few of us can experience.

Glen - still discovering new things.

........Certainly a different technique needed for SE and DE. Decided to try a second pass (dont normally do this)........

What? Only one pass! No wonder you don't run out of blades as quickly as most. If your whiskers are ony half as tough as you claim them to be you should be doing three passes plus touch ups aided by an oxy-acetelyne torch.

... tough as you claim them to be you should be doing three passes plus touch ups aided by an oxy-acetelyne torch.
That's what I do!
But I recently switched to MAPP gas, saves paying rent on the acetylene cylinders from BOC.
Yeah, can't believe he only does one pass either.
edit:
BTW, you're not supposed to be too firm with the razor, you're supposed to prep the face/beard enough so you don't have to be firm, and do multiple passes instead.
Leave the firm pressing to the guys with electric shavers.

Last edited:
.......BTW, you're not supposed to be too firm with the razor, you're supposed to prep the face/beard enough so you don't have to be firm, and do multiple passes instead.......

This is true but I do believe with an SE blade, particularly the first couple of shaves with a fresh one, it's literally just a matter of applying enough pressure to keep the razor to your face. This is the same with a new DE blade but in my experience not to the same degree.

Yeah, DE/SE shaving is a process of gradual reduction. If we all tried to get smooth via one pass we'd look like Freddie Krueger.

No, it's not about technique, but taking more than one pass. I get a crap shave if I just do one pass. Most people will. Even with carts.

Please note the smileys!!!! If some will recall I asked what this one pass two pass stuff was about a week or so ago. This was my first time to try and all I was saying that pass one with the SE and pass 2 with the DE worked beyond my expectations. I have however always done a quick 2nd pass (I guess it could be called) after cleaning off the remnants of the cream and checking for rough spots. This however is the first time I reapplied lather. Hope this clears the issue. I will happily state I have a long way to go tocall myself an accomplished DE or even SE shaver. Every shave is an experiment (either due to the razor, the soap or cream or the blade or any combination of the three).

Glen (the rank amateur).

BTW, you're not supposed to be too firm with the razor, you're supposed to prep the face/beard enough so you don't have to be firm, and do multiple passes instead.
Leave the firm pressing to the guys with electric shavers.

As usual it seems I am not expressing myself very well. In my extremely limited experience, I have discovered that when using my SE razor with a fresh blade in it, I pretty much let the weight of the head do the work - no pushing no pressure, I just direct around the appropriate spots. When doubling up with the DE today, (perhaps it was the fact that it was a fourth shave blade in the Slim, a razor I have a lot of confidence in now) I was able to be a little more definitive in my actions - not attempting to remove the top couple layers of skin but certainly a little more emphatic than with the first shave SE blade. Maybe my lack of experience is showing, but I can only give my impressions of what happened. As I said in an earlier response, I am well aware I am a rank amatuer at this game, but I am learning evry shave (and I suspect I will continue to learn as long as I am doing it).

Glen.

As I said in an earlier response, I am well aware I am a rank amatuer at this game, but I am learning evry shave (and I suspect I will continue to learn as long as I am doing it).

Glen.

If you still feel like an amateur, you must be making it harder than it is. But switching variables constantly doesn't help. If you want to fast track getting comfortable and confident, ditch everything except the stuff that works/you like best, and stick with it for a few weeks.

1 Razor, 1 type of blade, brush and soap.

Last edited:
As usual it seems I am not expressing myself very well. In my extremely limited experience, I have discovered that when using my SE razor with a fresh blade in it, I pretty much let the weight of the head do the work - no pushing no pressure, I just direct around the appropriate spots. When doubling up with the DE today, (perhaps it was the fact that it was a fourth shave blade in the Slim, a razor I have a lot of confidence in now) I was able to be a little more definitive in my actions - not attempting to remove the top couple layers of skin but certainly a little more emphatic than with the first shave SE blade...
Glen.
Yeah, you're right, you handled them differently and to my mind correctly.
IE no pressure on a fresh SE, and more firm on a mild DE razor with an old blade.

My point was, why no second pass with the SE razor in the first place? That's the only thing I commented on after the MAPP acetylene joke.
I really do have a beard that eats up blades and I need 3 passes + touchups before the mrs will get near me!

Last edited:
If you still feel like an amateur, you must be making it harder than it is. But switching variables constantly doesn't help. If you want to fast track getting comfortable and confident, ditch everything except the stuff that works/you like best, and stick with it for a few weeks.

1 Razor, 1 type of blade, brush and soap.

While I am sure you are correct, that does tend to take some of the fun out of the journey. Through the week I operate that way (unless I have extra time), but on the weekends I like to try the different combinations - I still have a few razors from my incredibly expensive collection I havent tried yet. :)
I know that the Slim with an Indian Gillette and a dip of Bluebeards will give me a more than adequate shave so I can always fall back on that combo. My amatuer comment was aimed at the fact there are lots of combinations I haven't tried yet, and as I have the goodies to do so I shall eventually.

Yeah, you're right, you handled them differently and to my mind correctly.
IE no pressure on a fresh SE, and more firm on a mild DE razor with an old blade.

My point was, why no second pass with the SE razor in the first place? That's the only thing I commented on after the MAPP acetylene joke.
I really do have a beard that eats up blades and I need 3 passes + touchups before the mrs will get near me!

Mainly because it had never occured to me to do so. If after the first pass things still felt rough I simply used the razor without lather until I acheived the desired result. Live and learn.

Glen

What SE razor did you use BTW. Like I said, you're right to use them like pojtr said, with no pressure on a new blade.
The micromatic clog pruf is a favourite of mine for just this reason, lots of weight behind it so no pressure needed, also only the clog pruf version got it right as far as aggressiveness/blade exposure compared to the other micromatics. Also the novelty of it being the worlds first TTO. IMHO the other GEMs like the 1912 make it harder to shave with, being lighter in the handle. The really old pre 1912s make up for it with a longer handle though. This is just me, with my tough whiskers though, many people wouldn't need the grunt that the heavier weight brings and would be happy with a 1912 or even a gillette DE Tech.

As far as gillettes, the NEW open comb is my favourite, and you recently bought one. Most modern razor users go on about gillettes being to mild, but the older ones like the NEW aren't so. Also perfect if you haven't shaved in a couple of days and have a fast growing tough beard like mine.
I hope you like your ball end NEW (that's what I use), there's plenty of fancy versions of the NEW too, that I'm sure Mark knows about, but I've given up chasing them.
Two razors I'll never give up on though is the clog pruf SE and gillette NEW. Both are good for people with beards made out of wires.

Last edited:
What SE razor did you use BTW. As far as gillettes, the NEW open comb is my favourite, and you recently bought one.

GEM Featherweight. I have another one on hand and a couple still in THe US. The NEW wont get here for a little while so I am looking forward to trying it.