Ultrasonic cleaning of razors, etc.

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
I like the idea of an ultrasonic cleaner.
If for no other reason than they make an easy job of cleaning gunk out of the Gillette adjustables handles (the ones which are a bitch to dismantle).
Would this be OK, or should I look for something else? It will only be for razors, and 'maybe' Missus can bung her jewelry in there now and then.
TIA.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketp...rs-detergents/listing/2964985688?bof=Et3bHMBx

If for no other reason than they make an easy job of cleaning gunk out of the Gillette adjustables handles (the ones which are a bitch to dismantle).
Would this be OK, or should I look for something else? It will only be for razors, and 'maybe' Missus can bung her jewelry in there now and then.
TIA.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketp...rs-detergents/listing/2964985688?bof=Et3bHMBx
that would do fine but you don't need one that big if it's mainly for razors. I think mine was about $40 too and has a heating element. I can fit about three razors in at a time and have used it for jewellery and brass items and it works a treat.

Aldi had some available last week. Would fit a razor full length too.

From memory @Mark1966 had a link to one he purchased a good while back or similar version...?
I was keen on getting one myself but have since been put off by reviews of smaller ones not cutting mustard?
Matt from RazorEmporium did a comparison YT vid recently and results were less than optimal when using smaller units. :(
In all honesty I have no vintage gear and find good old elbow grease, toothpaste & tooth brush work wonders :)

From memory @Mark1966 had a link to one he purchased a good while back or similar version...?
I was keen on getting one myself but have since been put off by reviews of smaller ones not cutting mustard?
Matt from RazorEmporium did a comparison YT vid recently and results were less than optimal when using smaller units. :(
In all honesty I have no vintage gear and find good old elbow grease, toothpaste & tooth brush work wonders :)

Tried @Mark1966 clean up method on my old fatboy. Came up looking great.(y)

TIA.

I bought one through eBay lasted 3 cycles and blew something on the circuit board but did an awesome job in those 9 minutes.
The seller offered a DIY repair or replacement unit but I took the money and purchased a slightly longer one that arrived today.
The lesson I learnt (other than use PayPal) was check inside diameter because I am cleaning straights and the 800ml was not long enough to lay down a straight (OK for DE and cutlery)
The smaller 450ml replacement unit tank is 6.6" nearly 17 cm long

Let's see how long this one lasts :)

Great video! Thanks @chilliman64

Absolutely agree on the comment that an ultrasonic is NOT a silver bullet, although I'm not sure that I'd use any ultrasonic on a gold lacquered razor or one with paint.

Interesting the idea to used distilled water, I've just tap water, but the concern does make sense if you have water with impurities.

This is the detergent he is using - https://www.sonicor.com/buffing-compound-remover/.

The Crest Ultrasonic is not cheap, but very, very cool!

Good video. Thanks guys...I asked because I had a Fatboy with the later 1961 setup where the 'knob' was held on by a compressed washer thingy (not a screw apart one).
I thought that if I ever get another razor that is a sod to dismantle and clean, then an ultrasonic cleaner would be great. Not for vintage as I'm just about out of them now, apart from a Tech or two.
Plus...I'm lazy! Just grab the Karve or Timeless, bung it in and turn on the switch.
Would be good for my camera lens filters too I suspect.