Valobra Menthol

Pjotr

Cultured Philistine
2016 Sabbatical
We did a swap. I gave Drubbing a beautiful chunk of Mitchells Wool Fat and in return got what looked like and had the consistency of a monstrous bird dropping, carefully squished flat to fit in an envelop. Soft soap really is soft isn't it! I was tempted to read all the recently posted methods for creating lather from soft soaps on B&B but decided that it was probably the usual pile of fanboy rubbish and just squished the contents of the snaplock bag in to a little bowl. My first bowl loading attempt! It took all of two seconds to get enought product in the boar brush, just wetted prior to use, and a further three seconds of face lathering to realise that the soft soap myth at least with this stuff was indeed a pile of bullshit. Almost easier than stick loading your face and that's completely fool proof. Just use a bit of violence when loading is my advice.

Anyhow, really nice lather that gives an incredible cool kick. In fact I was tempted to close the non-existent windows in my den to stop me from shivering. Nice feeling. Great shave.

Anyhow, really nice lather that gives an incredible cool kick. In fact I was tempted to close the non-existent windows in my den to stop me from shivering. Nice feeling. Great shave.
Yes, these 23 degree days are starting to bite.

Soft soaps are a doddle. If they were any easier they'd pick up the brush for you and load themselves. Fanboy rubbish indeed. Anyone who can't make lather with these things is challenged in more ways that I can bother to list.

Personally, I'd load up a fair bit more though. 2 seconds is getting too damn cocky if you ask me.

I too got a bag 'o' soap from Drubbing.

I finally remembered to take it home and give it a shot this morning.

I tore off a tiny bit and put it in the bowl to lather from and within ten or fifteen seconds I was pretty disgusted with my efforts - bad, thin lather and no legs.

So I tipped it out and washed out the brush and cleaned off my face.

I found a ramikin and mashed the valobra into the bowl - this is my first time with soft soap BTW.

I then lathered up again, an got a completely different result. I had a good twenty seconds of lathering and working the brush to get enough to do me for four passes.

The menthol doesn't kick in until the second pass - for me at least.

The 830 did better than the Badger with this soap. Yes; I tried both brushes.

Very happy with the result from the Semogue and the Valobra. I like the menthol kick at the end, and will certainly be using this regularly.

I've used all my brushes on this and it works fine also with the Wee one. If you want to return the favour with Drubbing, he's starting to get a taste for tough, unassuming, diehard, el-cheapo drugstore boar brushes. The ones that are as stiff as a rod, unlike all his other hoity-toity upper class droopers.

I've used all my brushes on this and it works fine also with the Wee one. If you want to return the favour with Drubbing, he's starting to get a taste for tough, unassuming, diehard, el-cheapo drugstore boar brushes. The ones that are as stiff as a rod, unlike all his other hoity-toity upper class droopers.

I'm still looking for a patsy to take on the duelling banjo boar.

It's a blunt instrument, and I have a more delicate disposition that that.

Well I do have one lying around that could be excused from its current duties....

IMAG0127.jpg

Who wants a shot at it?

Genuine....hair with....a handle.

Step right up gentlemen!

I'm still looking for a patsy to take on the duelling banjo boar.
I would send you that kent boar that RM like so much, but odds are, all the hair would fall out during postage and you'd just be left with a handle. :laugh:
I've never had such a shedder, about 8 hairs fall out every time I use it. I've tried it a few times but given up on it, can't use it now at home if I ever intend it to have enough hair left to use as a disposable travel brush in the future.
RM and yourself may have gone soft on the 830, but the SOC is the best boar brush for me and my 1305 is OK. And I really don't have any issue with the EJ BBB even with hard soaps.