Various soaps - Some characteristics.

bald as

ARKO! dealer & walking ECG
Yesterday @alfredus and I got together with a few brushes, a scuttle and various commercial and non commercial soaps to see some of the characteristics that each one offered.
We looked at how easily or not each soap loaded, how damp or wet a brush needed to be and how much work was needed to get a good lather.

The brushes used were a badger, synthetic and a boar. With the correct amount of water on the brush to load and the correct addition of water during the lather creation all brushes performed similarly. The type of lather produced was different with the synthetic though [in my opinion] producing a tighter drier lather with very small bubbles. Water content was the key with all brushes to the point we kept adding water and most soaps just kept making better lather. The key thing really from my observation was a just damp brush to load, plenty of product but excess water initially created with most soaps large bubbles that failed to produce the cushion and glide later on. With plenty of product and the slow addition of water as the brush and soap work together, the reward was plenty of long lasting excellent lather.

All of our experiments were done in a bowl but the same principles apply with face or palm lathering. With all soaps we continued adding water until the lather broke down. This breakdown point incrementally was harder to reach - the wetter lather was still very good - whereas accepting poor lather from a lack of work and water as the lather was being built could be a temptation to save time and consequentially less than the full potential of the soap being used.

Mike's was one such soap that require a fair amount of work to get the final lather but the end result was excellent and certainly worth the effort. All of the soaps produced good to excellent lather. All produced very good to excellent results when we worked with their need for the correct amount of water and the right length of time in making the lather.

A fun afternoon.

Steve

Steve, where were you when I was first trying to get lather out of a complimentary conk puck with a cheap travel boar a couple of years ago.

When you get your soap perfected I'd be keen to try a bit, it reviews well here!

I have found that the technique of lathering needs to be changed to suit the soap in question.

In my case, the PAA Strewth needs a much wetter brush (and basically a very light working of the puck) otherwise it foams in the knot which is then very hard to introduce to further water. Lathering it like I do with B&M simply doesn't work. PAA seems to work better when the soap is lightly worked with the bloom water and then worked into the face to produce lather. You can always scrub it a bit more if it is too wet.

Was indeed a very fun and educative afternoon - thanks again @bald as !!!

Just for completion: the soaps tested were Mike's, Stirling, B&M, CRSW and 3 of @bald as soaps.

Only do Nature - sorry :D