Vintage and Modern razor blades

filobiblic

Facepeeler Extraordinare
State Convenor - NSW
Group Buy Caporegime
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2015 Sabbatical Fail
I haven't found a post that talks about the difference in these blades.

What's the definition of 'vintage'? Is it basically no longer being made?

If I come across an unopened packet of 'vintage' blades in an antique shop, can you buy and use them? Would you get tetanus if you cut yourself with them? Should you sterilise them before use (i.e. with alcohol, vinegar?)?

Where can you get vintage blades (other than Antique/flea markets)?

I'm curious as a number of you (I'm especially looking at you @Monsta_AU !) keep talking about vintage blades, or you shave with blades that i've never heard of before. (I guess that shows my age...)

From my understanding, it depends upon the type of blade.
The older carbon blades were designed to be stropped before use.
The newer stainless ones were not supposed to be stropped.
The carbon ones rust, lesser so the stainless.

Only reputable place to get vintage blades is from Monsta_AU, yet ensure you have something that piques his interest to trade ;)

The carbon ones rust, lesser so the stainless.

So if I find some rusted box of blades in an antique store I could strop them and then I'm good to go?
Do I have to have had my shots up to date before I have shave?!

Only reputable place to get vintage blades is from Monsta_AU, yet ensure you have something that piques his interest to trade ;)

Now what would the Monsta want that a newbie like me could offer?!

I'm really just curious more than anything. I always thought you couldn't shave with the old blades.

What @borked says is generally correct, with some provisos.

The definition of 'vintage' is kind of similar to cars. Most vehicles are considered 'Classic' or 'Antique' and available to be club registered is they are over 25 years old. Vintage us usually reserved as the name for a pre-1940's car. The same with blades - no exact consensus exists but I would say that the blades in question should be at least 10 years old (since manufacture), but they may still be in production.

Yes, you absolutely can use any STAINLESS STEEL blades you find as long as they are in reasonable condition and have not had water on them etc etc. If there is no rust on the honed edges then load up and go for it. Hence we are using 1960's-1970's Spoilers & Personna's without issue.

I would generally advise AGAINST using carbon steel blades. You can usually identify these as being nothing but rust, or they have a 'bluing' treatment on them that turns the steel nearly black. An example of these would be the 'King Gillette' Gillette Blue Blades. Even if kept dry, the atmospheric moisture will interact with the part of the blade that is exposed to the air, which is the edge itself. This will then rust - even if microscopically - and will not only blunten the blade over time, abut you can run the risk of Tetanus. They shave differently to what we have now, it would take some getting used to.

Basically, if you are asking these questions then you shouldn't be shaving with Carbon Steel blades. If you want to try some, then buy a pack of the Treet Carbons and have a go with them. The blades are generally honed sharper but require more care and maintenance once shaved (yeah, dip them in metho/isopropyl, then dry carefully). Stropping is generally not helpful unless you have experience with straights & then I would be asking what the hell you are doing shaving with a carbon DE blade.

Some people swear by the old Gillette Blue Blades but I have tried some (carefully inspected and shaved) and hated them. If you can source some that have been stored in a dry environment and understand what you are looking for before using them then go ahead at your own personal risk.

Generally most of us will source vintage blades from eBay or other shave forums. You are looking for the following:

Last edited:
Thanks @Monsta_AU
I've seen the Gillette Blues you're talking about and a few packets of other brands in antique stores. I honestly thought they're all just for collectors (and to avoid shaving with them). But what you've said is clear and helpful. If I do come across some old blades I'll apply your advice. Thanks again.

(They really aren't paying you enough...)

If I come across an unopened packet of 'vintage' blades in an antique shop, can you buy and use them? Would you get tetanus if you cut yourself with them? Should you sterilise them before use (i.e. with alcohol, vinegar?)?

I'm curious as a number of you (I'm especially looking at you @Monsta_AU !) keep talking about vintage blades, or you shave with blades that i've never heard of before. (I guess that shows my age...)

Well, we generally talk about vintage blades that are usable in a modern DE and aren't being made anymore. Notable ones are the Schick Plus Platinums, Gillette Super Stainless (later marked as Spoilers) and a variety of Wilkinson Swords. There are others of course. They'e just basically old stock blades. I wouldn't fool around with a packet that's been opened but generally they are available perfectly wrapped as any current blade is. I find them longer lasting and give closer shaves than many current ones. Plus there's the purist satisfaction of knowing you're loading a blade made in the same era as your razor (if that also happens to be vintage of course).

If you PM me your address I can send you a few. You can still get them on the bay if you hunt around. They're not exactly cheap but worth it I think.

@Monsta_AU has taken the vintage concept to another level through hoarding container loads of blades from discontinued manufacturers, jealously locking them away in a dark place he only knows and waiting for them to become vintage. Just think Gollem....my precious......

Yeah, I have what is generally considered the world's largest supply of NOS GBE's on the planet of around 4,000 blades. They are very well regarded and perform extremely well for only being about 13-14 years old. I do fling a few around at newbies.

I also sent around some of the Personna Super Stainless Ultra Chrome which are really sharp and long lasting. There's a thread discussing them and the other travelling blades as sticky threads in this section. Well worth you reading them. Each member took one blade each and sent them around to the next member. It really opened the eyes of many and even @Mark1966 got in on the act of buying huge amounts of Schicks from the US and having them turn up 16 months later!

Note that I do not endorse any of those eBay Auctions - just linking you to what they look like.

Hello there my fine fellow,

here's my personal definition of Vintage 'Something that has been manufactured at least 20 years before the present day'. If the item is older than 1940, i'd call it an Antique.

So here's a few examples that are New Old Stock but that I would not consider as Vintage.

- Wizamet Iridium Super
- Gillette Swedes
- Gillette Super Silver (Orange packaging)
- Gillette Bleue Extra (Except if they are in the blue dispensers from the early 90's)

You can get 'No longer produced blades' in flea markets, thrift shops, Ebay, garage sales etc etc

Maybe I'm crazy, maybe not but I always get my smoothest shaves out of vintage blades. These days I've been shaving with Wilkinson Super Sword Edge, Schick Super Stainless Comfort Edge, Australian Gillette Super Stainless from 1984 (I call them Aussie Spoilers) and Personna Super Platinum Chrome. If you are looking for vintage blades at low cost, I suggest to look for vintage Wilkinsons, they are usually low profile on Ebay.

That's all I had to say,
best regards and have a nice.....well good night I suppose.