Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
When visiting my father over the weekend he was showing us some stuff he had, not sure what prompted it, including a watch he got on his retirement and one that his father, my grandfather, was presented with - in 1965:

YdkVXovl.jpg

LElu4SCl.jpg

2hBiCSdl.jpg

N9sNH0vl.jpg

Very much original condition. [EDIT: Just noticed that the band is a Speidel - so non-original!] Seems that it was my grandfather's everyday watch and it is unlikely that it has ever been serviced.

If I was to get it at some stage in the future I think a replate, service and restore would bring it back nicely!

Last edited:
When visiting my father over the weekend he was showing us some stuff he had, not sure what prompted it, including a watch he got on his retirement and one that his father, my grandfather, was presented with - in 1965:

YdkVXovl.jpg

LElu4SCl.jpg

2hBiCSdl.jpg

N9sNH0vl.jpg

Very much original condition. Seems that it was my grandfather's everyday watch and it is unlikely that it has ever been serviced.

If I was to get it at some stage in the future I think a replate, service and restore would bring it back nicely!

Very Nice @Mark1966. (y)(y). Although these particular model of seamasters are not worth a great deal in monetary value to collectors, they are great personal watches.

I have a very similar watch to the above which I had serviced at Max Schweitzer Swiss Watch Service in Sydney about 3 years ago, who did a fantastic job in restoring the watch without overdoing for a few hundred dollars. All the old world charm remained, the patina, the original bracelet, crown. All the internals were pretty changed with original new for old stock parts.

Whatever you don't take it to Omega for servicing. They will make the watch brand new in every way, you loose the that nostalgic patina on the indices and hands, and everything else that gives the watch character, will charge you double to triple the value of the watch, and not to mention the time it takes to go to Switzerland and back as Omega service for Australia doesn't keep these parts in stock.

Very Nice @Mark1966. (y)(y). Although these particular model of seamasters are not worth a great deal in monetary value to collectors, they are great personal watches.

I have a very similar watch to the above which I had serviced at Max Schweitzer Swiss Watch Service in Sydney about 3 years ago, who did a fantastic job in restoring the watch without overdoing for a few hundred dollars. All the old world charm remained, the patina, the original bracelet, crown. All the internals were pretty changed with original new for old stock parts.

Whatever you don't take it to Omega for servicing. They will make the watch brand new in every way, you loose the that nostalgic patina on the indices and hands, and everything else that gives the watch character, will charge you double to triple the value of the watch, and not to mention the time it takes to go to Switzerland and back as Omega service for Australia doesn't keep these parts in stock.

Yes, I've looking at the possibility of getting a birth year, 1966, Pie Pan which are worth a few dollars more than this would be ...

If this one ends up coming my way I'll take it to one of the reputable repairers used by those around the watch forums. Would probably replace the band with a leather one, might get the gold replated, would want the movement serviced and the crystal cleaned but aim to keep the dial and hands as original as possible. I believe that some watchmakers will ask before replacing any parts, keep those replaced AND take photos during the process - not THAT would be cool ...

Does the "automatic" mean self wind?
If so very cool for 1965
Yep. Very cool.

It’s time like these I wish I had a watch person some where in the family tree

Beautiful functional heirloom and very close to birthyear when presented (y)(y)(y)

Yes, will be very pleased it is ends up in my hands

Does the "automatic" mean self wind?
If so very cool for 1965

It does indeed. Arguably at that time period Omega was the preeminent watchmaker. Remember, it was the manufacturer of the Speedmaster certified by NASA for use in space around this time.

Yep. Very cool.

It’s time like these I wish I had a watch person some where in the family tree

I confess that I was VERY surprised when I saw it. Was very hard to pay any attention to the watch my Dad was given when this was around.

[BTW - just noticed the brand name on the band, see first post]

Last edited: