Vintage Travelling Blade reviews: Gillette Super Stainless 'Spoiler'

Shave six and still going strong. Thought I might have caught it out by now but no.

Back to the Schick tomorrow - this will be a death match now!

It's a blade cage match to the death.... SPP versus Spoiler!

The Spoiler now has 7 great shaves under its belt - amazing! Back to the Schick tomorrow for its 7th.

It was shave eight and the last for me with the Spoiler.

Still using the Slim on 7 with one of the usual rotation of soaps and brushes (Cella and vintage butterscotch Simpson)

The result was acceptable but certainly less comfortable and not as good as previously.

Overall a mighty fine blade. If I come across NOS cheap I will certainly grab them, but I admit I would not go looking and would probably not want to pay the market rate.

Thanks again to RM for the try out. :D

How are the rest of you going?

Spoiler Shave ONE

Since I had a reasonable amount of facial fur I decided to begin (What the hell I have 95 and they cost next to nothing so I didnt have anything to lose).
It has been hot and sticky in Sydney so the choice of lather material was easy.

Uncapped the Proraso Green for the first time in months. I expected to have a hard lump at the top of the tube but bless Proraso it was all creamy from the start.

The brush was some great blooming beast but still nice and prickly.

Only one razor would do and that of course was the Slim dialled to 7.

So we have got over the Wet and Lather bit and here comes the test.

Very Very smooth. I do like a blade that lets me know it is there but also gives me the confidence to slash away without fear of being bitten. This is one of those blades.
I wont put it up with the Schick until I have a better idea of its longevity but sure as hell if it lasts to six or seven it is a a great blade .

Spoiler Shave Two:

This is thejust whiskers one and went as expected - no change in brush soap or razor (I'm getting very Drubbingish - sticking to one razor).

Results excellent - smooth and clean and generally all round nice shave. Again the blade glided nicelt through the lather removing all signs of whiskers as it went. Again, and I do rate this highly in a blade) I could go shave down the cheeks then up the cheeks then across the cheeks varying the pressure and never feel in imminent danger. Will let the hair get a little longer for the next one.

Shave Three it was - Lotsa whiskers.
All things the same as before - Proraso Big Bushy Brush Slim at Seven and the Spoiler.

Nice really really nice - also still very very sharp - I had a small bump next to my mouth and it disapeared without me even noticing. Just a little dribble of red stuff. Did a full second pass and all is now as smooth as silk.

So far so good - A couple more shaves and we move into testing its longevity.

Number four and what can I say. Kept everything the same except of course another use of the Spoiler. And verily it is good. I have noticed no deterioration in performance across the shaves. Smooth clean and sharp - what else can anyone want. This is the blade to rule all blades I suspect as I can't see the performance plummeting in the next couple of shaves.

(And not only that mine were really really cheap) :)

Given that the purchasing cost was in the single figure range this is quite ironic. Cost/shave must be down there with Dorcos I'd say.

Right place at the right time - The guy selling actually had various mix of blades and razors - I asked him if he was interested in a BIN for a lot of 30 odd Spoilers. No go so I put the bid in for the lot I got. would have paid considerabley more for a smaller amount. Must admit I was quite stunned to get what I did. (Really Really cheap spoilers!!!). I am still looking forward to getting back to my SE shaving.

OK number 6 tucked away safely. It had a fair bit of fur to remove and it did so quite happily. Must admit I think the sharp sharpness is slowly fading as I was able to go awxtg all in one swipe without any fear. Gotta be at least another few in this - hopefully four more.

Just had my second shave with the spoiler and I really can't detect anything special about it. Maybe it's a bit sharper and makes less noise but even that wasn't particularly noticeable on the second shave. In any case the end result (i.e. the shave itself) was just as good as with any other blade I've tried over the years. Maybe it'll last longer and score a few points there.

Shave No 3. No deterioration and seems to shave just like No 2. Smoother than the Shark on No 2. End result is pretty much the same. Nice smooth shave.

Keep going with them PJ.

Did you notice it feeling extra sharp when you first loaded it, or maybe the glide was different to a modern blade?

The ultimate challenge:
Back Story - I have a rather nasty leg ulcer that is taking forever to heal up and require a dressing that can only be changed every second day. Thusly one can only shower every second day - Body wash the rest of the time. Today - painting the ceiling (i tried arguing I had to keep my leg raised but what can one do - the love of my life gave a big sigh and offered to do it herself and this I cannot allow).
So here I am in approxiametly 1000% humidity sweating like a stuck (forgive me Drubs) pig and a four day growth.

Time for the wash and the whiskers had to go - leg hurt like a bastard so sooner I was off my feet the better - washed the body washed the face and thought go for it. Grabbed the Slim with an a 7 shave Spoiler in it (a really really cheap one) and applied to the wet face - no brush no lather. I wont pretend I gave myself the greatest shave I have ever had but the bulk of the whiskers vanished with no and I do mean none at all pulling tugging or catching. Spoilers the blades that keep on giving - 8 down 2 to go.