Vintage Travelling Blade reviews: Schick Plus Platinum

However that is now how I am choosing to imagine Pjotr looks.

And I am feeling disturbed.

I do agree and I can imagine evenings at the PJ house - Daddy comes home after a hard day chasing cats, all the little PJs are lined up at the fence piddling in excitment and tails wagging.

Mrs PJ comes to the door and they exchange sniffs - "Sit PJ Sit" she says "I have some Schmackos for you"
I presume you were imagining PJ as the white pup; :)

Time to steer this thread back on track methinks :laugh:

Here is tomorrow's combo. Looking forward to using the Rocket HD again, and trying out these blades. At this stage I plan to be boring and only use a single blade at once...

IMG_20130222_182000_zps8d43bc71.jpg

Last edited:
I always knew you had class mr626. And, using the ultimate blade too!

You do know I started the Harris Tweed thread right?

:p

But yes, I have high hopes for this blade. Will report back post-shave.

Shave 1 (with the combo in the photo- Rocket HD, TOBS etc).

Was a little bit tricky getting the blade out of the holder, but I managed it eventually. As has already been mentioned, I suspect it must just be that due to the age of the blades any coating/lubrication that was applied to them originally has lessened somewhat.

The shave itself was both unremarkable and great at the same time. I'll explain:

The Rocket HD gives me a great shave- always has. Every blade that I've tried in this thing have been great. The Schick is no exception, but it didn't really have any qualities that jumped out at me compared to my main regular blades (Feather, Astra).
BUT, post shave I could really tell that these blades are quality. Very, very smooth skin- almost as if I had gone ATG in some places (which I don't).

So, the one shave summary for me is that they are a quiet performer- they give a great shave without seeming to do so.

Once again, thanks for Mark for sourcing these for me (and many others) to try.

I guess its on to the longevity test now :)

Shave 1 (with the combo in the photo- Rocket HD, TOBS etc).

Was a little bit tricky getting the blade out of the holder, but I managed it eventually. As has already been mentioned, I suspect it must just be that due to the age of the blades any coating/lubrication that was applied to them originally has lessened somewhat.

The shave itself was both unremarkable and great at the same time. I'll explain:

The Rocket HD gives me a great shave- always has. Every blade that I've tried in this thing have been great. The Schick is no exception, but it didn't really have any qualities that jumped out at me compared to my main regular blades (Feather, Astra).
BUT, post shave I could really tell that these blades are quality. Very, very smooth skin- almost as if I had gone ATG in some places (which I don't).

So, the one shave summary for me is that they are a quiet performer- they give a great shave without seeming to do so.

Once again, thanks for Mark for sourcing these for me (and many others) to try.

I guess its on to the longevity test now :)

I hadn't thought to try this in the Rocket HD. Great suggestion Mr626, I reckon it will work brillo!

I had my first crack at these with the Krona. It was a very Schlick shave. It was exceptionally mild and comfortable, with not a trace of irritation. I took about a week off from shaving to let my neck and face recover from some unpleasantness from my last tangling with the Personna. This meant that a mild razor and blade combo had to deal with a heavier than normal beard, and I'm very happy with the result. I really agree with the way mr626 summed up his first shave with these:

it didn't really have any qualities that jumped out at me compared to my main regular blades...BUT, post shave I could really tell that these blades are quality. Very, very smooth skin- almost as if I had gone ATG in some places (which I don't).

As far as the blade is concerned, it's not that sharp in my view. Sharp enough to mow down decent growth over two passes, and leave my face and neck smooth and even with no patchy bits requiring touch-ups. An alum block pass left me with almost no burn; almost a disappointment, I love the burn. It's a good compliment to the blade though. I wouldn't make them my everyday blade, but I'm very happy to have had the chance to try one of these. Such a great recovery blade after a shonky shave, I'm looking forward to giving it a go in a more aggressive razor in a couple of days.

For completeness, my combo was:

• Blobby Foo
  • Proraso Red
  • Alum
  • Nivea Post-Shave

..........As far as the blade is concerned, it's not that sharp in my view.........

It doesn't feel sharp maybe, but a blade that'll last ten very comfortable shaves has to be pretty damn sharp to start with I would have thought. Just did number nine with one. I think it's number nine. With these you have to make diary entries and sort of work out how many shaves you probably would have done to that date. My only issue with these is that I have to clean the razor whilst the blade is still operational. Normally I'd throw a blade, clean it and put a fresh one in. A very minor annoyance.

Up to shave 4 on this blade. Still going strong, have switched back to my Arko / Speick balm combo though.

I've noticed it seems to have lost a little of its sharpness, but I guess that's to be expected.

I've noticed it seems to have lost a little of its sharpness, but I guess that's to be expected.

How is it travelling now? I don't find them 'Ultra Sharp' either, certainly not in the Spoiler/Gillette Plus Platinum range. They do lose a bit in the first 2 shaves, and then they hold their sharpness over the next 4-5 shaves. Then they gently roll off the sharpness and as long as you are careful then you can get a few more out of them.

How is it travelling now? I don't find them 'Ultra Sharp' either, certainly not in the Spoiler/Gillette Plus Platinum range. They do lose a bit in the first 2 shaves, and then they hold their sharpness over the next 4-5 shaves. Then they gently roll off the sharpness and as long as you are careful then you can get a few more out of them.

Oops, forgot to update this.

In the end I got about 6 shaves out of it in the Rocket HD. It wasn't horrendous towards the end of the 6 shaves, but I had some other blades/razors I wanted to try so I called it quits. Still, I have plenty more of these to try :)

Got 13 shaves out of it. Was turning in to a bit of hard work in the end. Over to a Spoiler now. It was a really cheap Spoiler to start with (hint, hint!!) and for me it was even cheaper 'cause it was PIFed. Let's see if this'll last as long.

Why didn't my automatic alert notify me about this auction, damn yo ebay, damn you.

Nice purchase for whomever got them. You'd have to be happy with that.