Voskhod Teflon coated edge issues

Don

2019 Charity Auction Winner
Hi All
After a bit of advise. Not long started with DE shaving, so bought a razor some soap and a sample pack of blades.
The Voskhod were among the samples and had heard very good reviews on them. Just came off a Gillette black SP that I was very impressed with.
Anyway, throw in a Voskhod, lather up and start. Well this where I started to have issues. Didn't cut myself and only left one or two weepers. But the shave was rough and felt that at any time I was about to slice myself.
Got to the point I stopped the shave and finished the 2nd pass with a Gillette SP.
Had a look at the Voskhod and noticed that one bevel on the cutting edge was twice as wide as the other.
Did a search and found a similar comment on here. Didn't get to read all the reply's and now can not find the post again.
The Gillette, Feather and Astra blades I opened all appear to have equal bevels on the cutting edge.

Is this normal for the Voskhods and I just have to improve my technique or do I have a dud pack?
The other question would be are you supposed to load them in a certain orientation?
Cheers

Not sure about your particular blade having uneven bevel...But for me, It's a crap blade!

The voskhod is not at all a sharp blade. If it's sharp enough for one's stubble, they'll enjoy the smoothness of it but for those where the blade is not sharp enough, the added smoothness means nothing as the blade will be very rough due to the tugging! As they were for me!!

For me Voskhods work well in more aggressive razors although I do find that I can use them in milder razors provided I run a 3 pass shave daily. I have not noticed any differences between one edge and another on the Voskhods and suspect you may have a defective blade or perhaps a defective pack.

What type of beard do you have and how often are you shaving? Also what razors are you using? Generally blades are very much personal preference and also often times a particular brand of blade will work better in a particular razor for an individual.

I've had the occasional dud blade with every brand I've used long term. It happens. And then there's some blades you just don't end up getting on with, no matter what.

I have used both Voskhod and Rapira Platinum Lux but not suffered your experience with either. As previously stated, it's probably a bad blade or puck. My daily kit is a Schick Krona coupled with a Rapira PL blade, TF 24mm Plissoft-style synthetic, Wilkinson Blue Shave Stick and classic Old Spice After Shave. With this, a 2-pass shave easily gets me through the day.

Thanks for the reply's.
I should have added the razor is a Parker 98R.
Beard type is coarse but not very dense. Growth was about 24 hours.
I will more than likely purchase another pack from a different supplier and give them another run in the future.
Thanks again.

I'd suggest putting the Voskhod aside at least for now.

It may be that they don't work very well in combination with the razor or it may be a dud blade/pack.

There is no special orientation in loading blades, although some have numbers for each edge allegedly so you can flip or turn them - I'm personally doubtful that would make any difference!

I would suggest that the Parker is perhaps a little mild for the Voskhod which is why you have been having better results with sharper blades.

I found my least favourite blade: Voskhod. Terribly rough and tuggy in my Rockwell 6S (#5 plate) this morning. Gave it a few chances and played around with the angle. Had to swap it out for a Feather halfway through first pass. Smoothness, sharpness and efficiency of the Feather was like a dream by comparison. I’ll steer clear of Voskhod from now on. Too many better blades in my den to waste time with this level of roughness.

I picked up a couple of tucks of Voskhod with my last vshod order as an experiment, but have yet to use them. Based on my recent evaluations of blades, I think I work best with sharper blades, rather than smoother. Thus far, I have found my best DE blades to be Nacet and Gillette 7OC Yellows. The latter is a recent discovery, and a revelation with the GC-JAWS.

However, I will try it the Voskhod blades when I get out of hospital... :unsure:

Voskhod works better in a mild razor like the DE89 or the R89, also either a mild to mid aggression razors the Merkur 34C, 34G, 38C works best as well. The higher you choose for any types of aggression razors like the R41, Rockwell R5 or the R6 sometimes gets very tugging and they don't tend to work properly as YMMV depending on how thick is your stubble and also how slick is your lather.

I've had a very comfortable shave without any tugging or any roughness with my Merkur 34C and 38C, I've also stretched the Voskhod blade the maximum of 12 shaves without any issue of irritation or razor burns.

I've also had 9 comfortable shaves using the EJ 3one6 with the Voskhod blade, however, this is going to be the last shave to the maximum of 10 using the EJ 3one6.

I'm hoping the Muhle Rocca, MIGHT, achieve the same maximum shaves of 10 with the Voskhod blade, because, I'm comparing both razors the EJ 3one6 vs the Muhle Rocca. That's why I'm choosing the same blade in my next shave with my Muhle Rocca R94 either this Thursday or Friday. When I've finished using the Voskhod with my Rocca R94 the next blade will be the Wizamet Super Iridium blade, why? because I've already achieved 13 maximum shaves with the EJ 3one6 and I wanted to see how far I can push blade using the Rocca R94 with the Wizamet Super Iridium as well.

I picked up a couple of tucks of Voskhod with my last vshod order as an experiment, but have yet to use them. Based on my recent evaluations of blades, I think I work best with sharper blades, rather than smoother. Thus far, I have found my best DE blades to be Nacet and Gillette 7OC Yellows. The latter is a recent discovery, and a revelation with the GC-JAWS.

However, I will try it the Voskhod blades when I get out of hospital... :unsure:
What are doing in hospital @Gargravarr !

Got a dud Voshkod the other day. Just turfed it after one pass. I know these blades and what to expect to know a dud one from a bad shave.

Voskhod works better in a mild razor like the DE89 or the R89, also either a mild to mid aggression razors the Merkur 34C, 34G, 38C works best as well. The higher you choose for any types of aggression razors like the R41, Rockwell R5 or the R6 sometimes gets very tugging and they don't tend to work properly as YMMV depending on how thick is your stubble and also how slick is your lather.

I've had a very comfortable shave without any tugging or any roughness with my Merkur 34C and 38C, I've also stretched the Voskhod blade the maximum of 12 shaves without any issue of irritation or razor burns.

I've also had 9 comfortable shaves using the EJ 3one6 with the Voskhod blade, however, this is going to be the last shave to the maximum of 10 using the EJ 3one6.

I'm hoping the Muhle Rocca, MIGHT, achieve the same maximum shaves of 10 with the Voskhod blade, because, I'm comparing both razors the EJ 3one6 vs the Muhle Rocca. That's why I'm choosing the same blade in my next shave with my Muhle Rocca R94 either this Thursday or Friday. When I've finished using the Voskhod with my Rocca R94 the next blade will be the Wizamet Super Iridium blade, why? because I've already achieved 13 maximum shaves with the EJ 3one6 and I wanted to see how far I can push blade using the Rocca R94 with the Wizamet Super Iridium as well.

Fascinated to see how your comparison measures up as so far I've been able to push the Wizamet SI in the Rocca up to 15 shaves before noticing any dullness.

I passes on all my Voshkod's as they don't like me so I plan to try a Nacet once my R95 arrives to see if it changes the shave characteristics...?

I plan to try a Nacet once my R95 arrives to see if it changes the shave characteristics...?
I’ll bet the Nacet will shave super smooth and bloody dead quickly as long as you watch your angle, otherwise, you’ll get yourself badly bitten by your Rocca.

I’ll bet the Nacet will shave super smooth and bloody dead quickly as long as you watch your angle, otherwise, you’ll get yourself badly bitten by your Rocca.
That's what I'm fearful of! (y)

Happy to take any Voskhod blades off your hands - in denominations of multiple of 100's - one never can have enough of them in the den.

I always managed to get 1 great shave out of them in the R41, but then they were simply kaputt...these days I use a blade only once in any razor...life is too short for non-perfect shaves ;)