Wade & Butcher Diamond Edge WIP

Gimli

Picked up this W&B Diamond Edge razor from ebay recently with plans to restore it. Dated from around 1860-1875

Original scales, light surface rust and a few small patches of light pitting
myIcsQ7.jpg

Bit of a light wet/dry just to see what she looks like under the gunk
IM22za8.jpg

Used an old, low grit oil stone to remove material to get past the chips in the edge
JxQn5lK.jpg

Blade now measures 21mm from spine to edge, a smidge bigger than 13/16
aPzRfaw.jpg

The scales aren't in the best of condition so I will have new scales made from an as yet undecided Australian hardwood

More photos soon

Jarrah makes a very nice understated "old" wood look.

I've got some on the drying rack but they are some bigger logs so may take some time before it's ready

Some of the other timbers I've got kicking around include:

Corymbia calophylla (Marri)
Allocasuarina Fraserana (WA Sheoak)
Xanthorrhoea (Grass tree, black boy). This is an interesting one because it's actually a monocot but it produces a hardwood root
Acacia acuminata (Raspberry Jam) - a WA native. The piece I sent over to @Substance was grown by myself and both that + the razor whose scales will be fashioned has sentimental value to me
Acacia aneura (Mulga) - a wattle from the arid regions of Australia. A very dense wood. Burns hot and slow.
Acacia resinimarginea - Another wattle from the more arid regions. Also quite dense

I'd love to look at some timbers from the Eastern side of Australia. Surely there are some beautiful woods from that side of the island

Jarrah makes a very nice understated "old" wood look.

Mid last year I had the jarrah floor in my 2x1 duplex replaced (house was built 1908). Took a while until the company was able to get enough from houses before they were demolished as I wanted older, darker jarrah and not this new force fed orange stuff. Cost a mint but worth it!