Want to upgrade from my r89

SnowedAway

Hey all,

So I've been shaving with my Muhle r89 for a year and a half now. I feel like it's a bit too mild for me, so I thought I'd ask for any thoughts on something solid that I could upgrade to? (the only other one that I've heard of is the Rockwell 6S lol). By the way, I don't want to spend too much so I'm happy to take offers from y'all if there's one that you're selling.

Cheers!

If the Rockwell 6s is too dear for you, the 6c is a cheaper version of the same thing (just finished in chrome not stainless steel). Have a search through some old threads - a number of us have posted our impressions of the 6s/6c. The 6c has been my daily driver for a few months - highly recommended

G'day @SnowedAway,
The Rockwell 6s/6c is highly regard razor in the shaving community. Another razor to consider is the Razorock Game Changer for around $110.00. I got the .84 plate and could not be happier with it. I purchased both from VShod, they usually throw in some extra goodies.;)
For reviews check out the shaving forums.

As with all things shaving, YMMV

The Karve is another solid option which you can get for around $110 shipped and if I had to choose just one plate, I’d say a C but you can always acquire more if you feel the need.

images

hi @SnowedAway i will also endorse the 6C/6S.. i didnt want to spend the money then so got the 6C, apart from the material and from what i have read it shaves the same.

The Karve is also great but only comes with one base plate, so will need to purchase more to cover yourself. The game changer, is a nicely built razor but for myself i found it too mild.

your best bet is the 6C as it comes with all plates and as far as a decent quality razor goes, its pretty cheap.

Hey all,

So I've been shaving with my Muhle r89 for a year and a half now. I feel like it's a bit too mild for me, so I thought I'd ask for any thoughts on something solid that I could upgrade to? (the only other one that I've heard of is the Rockwell 6S lol). By the way, I don't want to spend too much so I'm happy to take offers from y'all if there's one that you're selling.

Cheers!
I have a krave with B C and D plates. Haven’t seen much use since I got the rs-10. Was thinking of cleaning it up and put it on the bst

I was also going to suggest the Rockwell 6S/6C (I have and love both).

The Karve is also wonderful so definitely consider Rami's offer too.

I started with the Muhle R89. I’ve changed to the Karve with a C blade. A good move and I’d recommend it. The C is more efficient but still gives a better shave than the r89. If you’re after something more aggressive than the r89 then I’d recommend a D.

I have a krave with B C and D plates. Haven’t seen much use since I got the rs-10. Was thinking of cleaning it up and put it on the bst

I imagine there’ll be quite a stampede on the BST if you put the Karve up for grabs (I’ll be leading the charge)

Last edited:
I imagine there’ll be quite a stampede on the BST if you put the Karve up for grabs (I’ll be leading the charge)
Will probably do over the next couple of days.

Thanks everyone! I'll take a look at the Yintal - $20 is a steal but I've never heard the name and it seems suspiciously cheap. Else a second-hand 6c may be what I'm after, so I may keep an eye out for that. I think the Karve will probably be a bit above the amount I wanna spend.

Cheers all!

Thanks everyone! I'll take a look at the Yintal - $20 is a steal but I've never heard the name and it seems suspiciously cheap. Else a second-hand 6c may be what I'm after, so I may keep an eye out for that. I think the Karve will probably be a bit above the amount I wanna spend.

Cheers all!

I have a Yintal in the post so I’m interested to see how well it performed.

The Yintal has a heap of heft being a solid brass razor. It feels far from cheap. In fact it feels pretty high end. Finish is decent enough too. Don't let the price put you off. Reviews on YouTube and customer reviews on Aliexpress 😉

Cheers all!
I share your suspicions regarding the Yintal but having received one as a gift, I was quite impressed with the build quality/weight and quality of shaves it provides. Very easily a daily DE as the Bronze TTO on setting #2 shaves smooth and the head size is smaller enough to reach under the nose, unlike my Q-shave and Parker Variant.

Having started out with the DE89 and subsequently purchasing nearly 20 other DEs, I can happily recommend the 6S if you have the extra cash or 6C as by all accounts they shave on par. Overall I'd suggest the Karve which is a fabulous razor offering both SB & OC plates and judging by other users you could easily get any of the B, C, D plates in the knowledge you'd be achieving fantastic shaves each and everytime! It's a shame the AUS $ has dropped slightly but depending on your budget either the 6S/6C or Karve are great options and in hindsight I'd have saved a tonne of my $$$ buying either one only but YMMV...