Review Washpool Farm Bergamot, Cedarwood and Patchouli

Brendan

So had my first shave with this soap last night.

First visual impression, very thick looking soap, lumpy to look at in the jar (very natural looking) but medium/medium hard to touch. Smell impression is heavy on the cedarwood with a fair amount of bergamot and background hints of the patchouli. Definately a manly scent, very warming smell and would be great in Winter or even Spring and Autumn.

Made two lathers one with Plissoft syn and one with badger hair. Not fully loaded with water but also not completely wrung dry. Both brushes loaded up in 10-15 secs. With the badger, into the bowl and it took a small amount of water and it exploded. First time ive had that with a brand new soap. Usually take me a bit to figure out the water ratio. With the syn i need a bit more working out water but it just needed a small amount more to be perfect.

Beautiful thick shiny lather once done. Placed some on my hand and it gave a very, very slick surface and felt like it would give great protection during shave.

Onto face and you can feel the soap give a very slight tingle but the scent just continues to unravel a more complex scent as it mixes with you skin smell and oils. Definately a solid scent.

Did my 3 pass shave with a new Voskhod blade in the DE89. Great protection but also not thick enough to prevent a close shave. After a cool water splash the scent is still there but not to overpowering. After alum bar and witchhazel the smell sits down and would be ready for any aftershave/ cologne without interfering with the scent much if at all.

Loved the shave, loved the scent, skin felt great after the shave, very hydrated.

I know the postage can be a bit on the high side but once your order is weighed up, if the Aus Post poatage is dearer than Fastway Couriers, they send it via the cheapest postal carrier and add some extras in your order to make up the price difference.

Value: 9/10
Scent strength (in tub): 9.5/10
Scent strength (once lathered): 9/10
Scent strength (after the shave): 7/10
Scent strength (after post shave routine) 5/10 - easily can add your own aftershave and not have it interfere with your chosen scent.
Ease of loading: 10/10
Ease of lather production: 10/10
Lather stability: 9/10
Slickness: 9/10
Post shave feel: 9/10

Last edited:
So had my first shave with this soap last night.

First visual impression, very thick looking soap, lumpy to look at in the jar (very natural looking) but medium/medium hard to touch. Smell impression is heavy on the cedarwood with a fair amount of bergamot and background hints of the patchouli. Definately a manly scent, very warming smell and would be great in Winter or even Spring and Autumn.

Made two lathers one with Plissoft syn and one with badger hair. Not fully loaded with water but also not completely wrung dry. Both brushes loaded up in 10-15 secs. With the badger, into the bowl and it took a small amount of water and it exploded. First time ive had that with a brand new soap. Usually take me a bit to figure out the water ratio. With the syn i need a bit more working out water but it just needed a small amount more to be perfect.

Beautiful thick shiny lather once done. Placed some on my hand and it gave a very, very slick surface and felt like it would give great protection during shave.

Onto face and you can feel the soap give a very slight tingle but the scent just continues to unravel a more complex scent as it mixes with you skin smell and oils. Definately a solid scent.

Did my 3 pass shave with a new Voskhod blade in the DE89. Great protection but also not thick enough to prevent a close shave. After a cool water splash the scent is still there but not to overpowering. After alum bar and witchhazel the smell sits down and would be ready for any aftershave/ cologne without interfering with the scent much if at all.

Loved the shave, loved the scent, skin felt great after the shave, very hydrated.

I know the postage can be a bit on the high side but once your order is weighed up, if the Aus Post poatage is dearer than Fastway Couriers, they send it via the cheapest postal carrier and add some extras in your order to make up the price difference.

Value: 9/10
Scent strength (in tub): 9.5/10
Scent strength (once lathered): 9/10
Scent strength (after the shave): 7/10
Scent strength (after post shave routine) 5/10 - easily can add your own aftershave and not have it interfere with your chosen scent.
Ease of loading: 10/10
Sounds like a scent I could go for.

20160716_175614_zps4rwsae0n.jpg

After my first shave

Hmmm, high praise mate!

What's it compare to @Brendan ? What's some other soaps you rate higher or the same or lower?

Sounds fantastic! I had their earlier versions and thought them not bad. The scent back then was the weakest point.

Hmmm, high praise mate!
Im not a professional on soaps and soaps are such a personal opinion but what i wrote in my review is my honest opinion :)

Out of the 15 or so soaps ive tried, this is in my top 3 easily. Mikes shave soap is tied for me with the Wash Pool soap and 3rd for me is Shaver Heaven tallow. Still have a big soft spot for the TOBS range probably due to having used the brand the longest.

I will give it a few more shaves and report back with my thoughts after a few uses as well.

@filobiblic scent strength is such a personal thing to review, everyone's different, but i feel it was great scent and nice and strong for my nose haha. Never did try the original so cant compare v1 vs v2 Washpool

Last edited:
20160717_122125_zpsx3lpe1fe.jpg
20160717_121353_zpspxc707wc.jpg
20160717_121353_zpspxc707wc.jpg
a>
10 secs of loading and brush atands by itself. Thick lather which gives great peaks in this mornings shave. Smell seemed a bit less today but could be due to the cigar and a few scotchs last night dulling my smell sensory.

Another great slick shave, must say i am enjoying the soap but also the 2nd shave on a Voskhod blade.

Thoughts after todays shave:
Scent strength (in tub): 8.5/10
Scent strength (once lathered): 7.5/10
Scent strength (after the shave): 6/10
Scent strength (after post shave routine) 3/10 - easily can add your own aftershave and not have it interfere with your chosen scent.
Ease of loading: 10/10 (can i go 11/10 easiest by far of all ive used)

Real world feelings but like i said my nose is a bit tainted from last night so smell results suffer.

Last edited:
Fantastic review!

I agree with you totally. The scent from the container is really not as complex as once it's lathered up. I find it to be intoxicating once I've actually lathered up on my face.

- The strength is significantly stronger than the original version (if old is 5/10, new is 8/10!!)
- The complexity of the scent is definitely a big difference to the original.
- The BCP is a manly scent with a perfect balance of the chosen essential oils.
- The original scent was a bit like typical old-school oil burner scents (I LOVE that scent due to memories but may not be for everyone). The BCP in my opinion, should be favourable for majority of guys.
- Also, don't be put off by the patchouli, it really doesn't smell like a hippie soap. It's perfectly balanced and actually very complex to the nose.

My soaps are all securely packed away in my suitcase and I'm missing the BCP the most out of my 40 soaps!!
Can't wait to break it out when I reach India!!

Used this today for the first time. I'll need to use it some more but it's a very good soap indeed.
The scent is stronger than the original versions I've used (V2 and V3) but not over-powering. Well balanced.
Performance was good - slickness, cushion and post-shave were all there in spades.
A thumbs up from me.

So my WPF BCP came up in rotation today and I just can't get enough of this scent!

It is the most intoxicating scent I've ever smelt in my life!

My wife loves it so much, she held the tub to her nose for a good ten minutes!

I reminded her of the matching serum and she immediately took a few drops and massaged onto her face.

I just can't even begin to describe the enjoyment when I use this soap...takes me to another world!

@nav1 i moved that into my rotation a week or so ago and gave my Dad a shave with it. He has no sense of smell but my mother came from another room to ask what the beautiful smell was.

My thoughts havent changed. Great scent, great slickness and post shave feel is right up there with the best if not the best ive had!