Watch suggestions.....

vanNek

So guys starting to research a new watch...

My victory sports is no longer water proof & gaskets & seals are not going to cut it apparently. I worked it out to be at least 13yrs old.

Ideally a dive type watch, (highly water resistant), solar/kinetic wizardry nice too. Date needed, timer & alarm.

Open to suggestions on analog, digital or analog/digital. Something low profile and not some mother hunking thing. Had a quick google and think around $4-600 should be a reasonable budget.

"No half measures......"

WOW - nice budget - sitting watching (get it) until the experts chime in ....

I'm definetly no expert but I have heard Seiko dive watches getting a good wrap in particular the SKX007 automatic which is well within your budget. Might be worth a look and if you like it wait for the experts to step in and get their thoughts.

20608ba2bef2b3154002a12dbb22ecc7.jpg

I'd suggest the SKX007 too, great watch, But OP states
Date needed, timer & alarm.
Otherwise I'd also suggest a Tuna or Sumo as an upgrade to the SKX

Also keep an eye on Massdrop. Some good watch buys there sometimes too.

Also Watch Recon if you're considering second hand

Wrist size?

20-21cm solid ish build 173cm 95-100kg

WOW - nice budget - sitting watching (get it) until the experts chime in ....

It'll take some saving & negotiations with the minister for finance.... Can't "swap" a watch like my my recent shaving procurements "all" have been. [emoji57][emoji57][emoji41]

"No half measures......"

Last edited by a moderator:
@vanNek could you do away with those options on your watch and use your phone for them instead? Not sure if it would be convenient for you, just a thought.

Should have said the date is almost a must, timer nice luxury, alarm won't loose sleep if it doesn't have it.

I'm studying to be an outdoor ed instruction i.e. Hiking etc and being able to monitor time for way points & time taken etc etc is a massive must. I like gadgets, but I like simple reliable and bloody rugged for my outdoor gear. The more it has, the more to go wrong!

"No half measures......"

Steinhart ocean would be my pick without the timer and alarm if Seiko's aren't your thing, but would also look at what Prometheus or Armida currently have on offer.
If you need the alarm and chrono you will be looking at a quartz digi-analog I imagine.

Should have said the date is almost a must, timer nice luxury, alarm won't loose sleep if it doesn't have it.

I'm studying to be an outdoor ed instruction i.e. Hiking etc and being able to monitor time for way points & time taken etc etc is a massive must. I like gadgets, but I like simple reliable and bloody rugged for my outdoor gear. The more it has, the more to go wrong!

"No half measures......"

Seriously then mate, I will say it again:
G-Shock

Try their search...
http://world.g-shock.com/asia-mea/en/products/advanced-search/
you might be pleasantly surprised with what comes out the other end.

They've certainly moved beyond the G-Shocks we think we know:
msC3iHWLTT7egpYSqTsbkTQ.jpg

...to things like sweeter Mudmasters:

casio-g-shock-mudmaster-00.jpg

...and even dressier functionals:

Casio-G-Shock-MR-G-MRG-G1000-watch-4.jpg

If you like gadgets with all the bells and whistles you may want to consider the Garmin Fenix2, it has everything including GPS, way points ect, all of which you can download and map on your computer later on. If you stretched you budget you could get a Fenix3 however if you are interested have a look at the in depth review here http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/03/garmin-fenix2-multisport.html

I have the Fenix2 and although not nearly as classy looking as the Seiko SKX007 it sounds like it may fit the bill of what your after.

IMG_0794_thumb.jpg

No issues with it being waterproof.
P1150008_thumb.jpg

IMG_0488_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
To hit all your targets, I think @stillshunter is right. And surprisingly some of those are not so shocking any more.

Go eBay. You will get *much* cheaper prices, just make sure it is one of the big watch seller's like skywatch and you should be good.
The Egg is spot-on here!
...don't buy domestic as you'll pay more than twice too much.