Watches

I can feel an AD coming on....

Those 1966 birth year watches look really nice!

Those vintage watches sure do look good. However, if you are looking for swiss watches, make sure you can still get parts. Rolex stops producing parts 30 years after they were discontinued. Patek on the other hand will continue making parts for as long as required.

Those vintage watches sure do look good. However, if you are looking for swiss watches, make sure you can still get parts. Rolex stops producing parts 30 years after they were discontinued. Patek on the other hand will continue making parts for as long as required.

OK, interesting info - good to know

I am another that has a watch fetish of sorts, although I am currently managing to hold it in check.

I went through a few nice watches when I was younger, but the highlights of my collection at the moment are all cheap(ish) mechanical watches.

I have an India HMT Pilot 7146057881_4764d64edf_z.jpg

a Shanghai watch company $T2eC16RHJGoE9nuQfSlTBQOhS4dp6g~~60_1.JPG

and a Seagull 1963 Chinese Air Force reissue seagull-1963-air-force-watch.jpg

Click for glorious biggerness.

But my daily wearer is a bog standard Casio G-Shock as, unfortunately, none of the above are very water resistant, and I know I will dunk them in the swimming pool/shower/washing bowl/toilet* one day.

*delete as appropriate

I'm one of the few that just don't get it. I always saw watches as just functional, and now, phones have removed that.

But I did buy a nice watch about 20yrs ago, but never got round to finding a leather strap once the first wore out, and I don't get on with bracelets. Battery needs replacing, haven't worn it for years but it's only gone through two of them.

I'm with Nick, less is more IMO and this is mine.

tagheuer-we1210-r-13.jpg

I also have my Dad's Raymond Weil. Probably about 30 years old, can't find any pics of it, but it's a simple gold face and bezel with gold hands. Not really my thing to wear.

Attachments

• tagheuer-we1210-r-13.jpg
    tagheuer-we1210-r-13.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
where do you find those seagull 1963 watches? they do look unique and make for a nice watch if you can get past the chinese wordings on the dial

There are a few places that sell them. I think I got mine from WatchUnique but if you look through the Chinese Forum on Watchuseek you should be able to find alternates.

It really is a nice watch, and Seagull are not the cheap chinese brand that you might imagine - they make tourbillons that cost tens of thousands of dollars!

Bear in mind, if you do consider buying one, that these are hand wind watches and offer very little water resistance.

Last edited:
this is one of the few chinese companies that can show the west that they can indeed make decent stuff.

FWIW if you wanted a cheap dress watch you could do a lot worse than this. Folks seem to regard it quite highly and apparently the sweeping second hand is quite the mesmeriser! Not a bad looker actually.

FWIW if you wanted a cheap dress watch you could do a lot worse than this. Folks seem to regard it quite highly and apparently the sweeping second hand is quite the mesmeriser! Not a bad looker actually.

That is one very nice watch for the price. Is it legit though, they go for $300 in the US.

Seeing as I broke my watch yesterday this thread has just become more relevant lol

All the others are way above my price range, but that looks pretty darn good IMO.

Will have to wait though as the budget is tight lol might have to grab a super cheap one to get me through!

That is one very nice watch for the price. Is it legit though, they go for $300 in the US.

"Ships from and sold by Amazon.com"

So I'd accept that as legit. Not heard many scares about Amazon, and they replaced my kindle even after I admitted it was my fault the screen had broken.

As Eggbert said, definitely no qualms through Amazon. I agree, its a very nice watch for the money....Bulova whilst not a known brand are a very well known company in the watch community....I think they ran into problems a few yrs back and were bought by Citizen. But this isn't a negative as CItizen have an excellent reputation themselves.

Will have to wait though as the budget is tight lol might have to grab a super cheap one to get me through!
FWIW I'd either act fast or find this deal gone pretty quick...Amazon tend to have prices change quite quickly at times. Haha thats what a credit card is for....effectively you won't have to 'pay' for the item for up to 55 days or so. Personally I'd lean towards 'stretching' to make a buy like this one as a cheapie will be money effectively flushed away. Hope you're able to get it but financial discipline is great and I shouldn't cajole you otherwise. :)

I think there's a 3yr warranty on these watches too - which is quite good for that price range.

FWIW I'd either act fast or find this deal gone pretty quick...Amazon tend to have prices change quite quickly at times. Haha thats what a credit card is for....effectively you won't have to 'pay' for the item for up to 55 days or so. Personally I'd lean towards 'stretching' to make a buy like this one as a cheapie will be money effectively flushed away. Hope you're able to get it but financial discipline is great and I shouldn't cajole you otherwise. :)

I think there's a 3yr warranty on these watches too - which is quite good for that price range.

Thanks for the advice.....

I will speak with the boss, however I don't like my chances lol

Thanks

Do you have any children you haven't bonded with too much? You could always sell one....

Last edited by a moderator: