Weekly Razor Review

? (?) [Note: indexed as Vintage Gillette Single Ring Clone]

It may come as a bit of a surprise to some but I have assembled a few examples of razors from the vintage English brand - Velvet. When I saw this razor advertised with the word Velvet in the wording I jumped in and bought it. After doing the deal I read the advertisement again and they were referring to the velvet lining in the case and there was no mention of the razor brand. Now that I have the razor, I can see why there was no brand mentioned in the advertisement, there are no markings on the razor and if there ever were any markings on the little old case they too have vanished over time. There is a very good reason I like to see manufacturers put their name on their products, 50 years after production very few people will be able to identify the razor. I doubt if this (?) razor has ever done too much work because of the shine on the cap, its good overall condition but the handle does appear to have tarnished over time however there are no cracks. For a change of pace for this week I’m going to give my, I suppose it’s veteran, maybe vintage (?) razor a whirl.

Every time I use a Wolfman razor, especially the WR1, I marvel at how all excess material has been removed from the head. By comparison, the (?) razor makes a WR1 look like a sledge hammer; there was never any excess metal in the cap and plate to start with because each piece has been formed from a thin pieces of tapered metal plate. With the excellent condition of the (?) razor the distinctive circular marks where the riveted blades posts secure through the cap are absent. In earlier manufacturing times riveting was common practice so I assume the blade posts on the (?) are riveted. Razor handles have grown in diameter and in length and I should include weight since the (?) rolled off the assembly line. The weight of a modern handle can be twice the weight of the complete (?) razor so it will be interesting to use the old set up, something a bit unique for me.
Aren’t photos magic things? Earlier I’d checked that a modern blade would fit on the posts; yes, they fitted, and that’s all I checked. It wasn’t till I got home and downloaded the photos that I observed the blade was not sitting square. When I checked there is a large gap around the blade post so before use, I’ll just have to check the blade is sitting square each time.

I have to say that the shave delivered by the (?) was much better than a lot I’ve experienced. When the Nacet was put in I checked for any sign of misalignment with the blade and could find none. As is usual when something works that I was expecting trouble with I pulled the blade out and tried again; same result, the blade sat square and without any sign of misalignment. I encountered no problem with the alignment of the 7 O’Clock Green either. Delivering a shave somewhere around a Karve CB Level #C, the shave was both smooth and close. The teeth on the comb can be felt as the razor covers the face with a pleasant massaging effect. Something unusual to me was the hollow sound emitted as the razor went about its job and I’m suggesting this was because of the thin metal employed in the construction of the head. Yes, I could use this old razor again.

Blades Used – Gillette Nacet and Gillette 7 O’Clock Green
Material –
?
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 55g
Head Width – 40.5mm
Handle Length – 78.5mm
Handle Diameter – 9.25mm
Availability – ?
Final Word –
Enjoyable

Last edited by a moderator:
? (?)

It may come as a bit of a surprise to some but I have assembled a few examples of razors from the vintage English brand - Velvet. When I saw this razor advertised with the word Velvet in the wording I jumped in and bought it. After doing the deal I read the advertisement again and they were referring to the velvet lining in the case and there was no mention of the razor brand. Now that I have the razor, I can see why there was no brand mentioned in the advertisement, there are no markings on the razor and if there ever were any markings on the little old case they too have vanished over time. There is a very good reason I like to see manufacturers put their name on their products, 50 years after production very few people will be able to identify the razor. I doubt if this (?) razor has ever done too much work because of the shine on the cap, its good overall condition but the handle does appear to have tarnished over time however there are no cracks. For a change of pace for this week I’m going to give my, I suppose it’s veteran, maybe vintage (?) razor a whirl.

Every time I use a Wolfman razor, especially the WR1, I marvel at how all excess material has been removed from the head. By comparison, the (?) razor makes a WR1 look like a sledge hammer; there was never any excess metal in the cap and plate to start with because each piece has been formed from a thin pieces of tapered metal plate. With the excellent condition of the (?) razor the distinctive circular marks where the riveted blades posts secure through the cap are absent. In earlier manufacturing times riveting was common practice so I assume the blade posts on the (?) are riveted. Razor handles have grown in diameter and in length and I should include weight since the (?) rolled off the assembly line. The weight of a modern handle can be twice the weight of the complete (?) razor so it will be interesting to use the old set up, something a bit unique for me.
Aren’t photos magic things? Earlier I’d checked that a modern blade would fit on the posts; yes, they fitted, and that’s all I checked. It wasn’t till I got home and downloaded the photos that I observed the blade was not sitting square. When I checked there is a large gap around the blade post so before use, I’ll just have to check the blade is sitting square each time.

I have to say that the shave delivered by the (?) was much better than a lot I’ve experienced. When the Nacet was put in I checked for any sign of misalignment with the blade and could find none. As is usual when something works that I was expecting trouble with I pulled the blade out and tried again; same result, the blade sat square and without any sign of misalignment. I encountered no problem with the alignment of the 7 O’Clock Green either. Delivering a shave somewhere around a Karve CB Level #C, the shave was both smooth and close. The teeth on the comb can be felt as the razor covers the face with a pleasant massaging effect. Something unusual to me was the hollow sound emitted as the razor went about its job and I’m suggesting this was because of the thin metal employed in the construction of the head. Yes, I could use this old razor again.

Material –
?
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 55g
Head Width – 40.5mm
Handle Length – 78.5mm
Handle Diameter – 9.25mm
Availability – ?
Final Word –
Enjoyable

What are you doing to me!

How am I going to index "?" ?

This will be indexed as "Vintage Gillette Single Ring Clone"

Nice review again mate

? (?)

Material –
?
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 55g
Head Width – 40.5mm
Handle Length – 78.5mm
Handle Diameter – 9.25mm
Availability – ?
Final Word –
Enjoyable
Nice change and review. So would this be the cheapest razor in your reviews so far?

Homelike Start 0.69mm SB (Russia)

How often have you had to use your wife’s knowledge when it came to purchasing your new razor? When I first discovered the Homelike web site there was no translation, everything was written in Russian. It just so happens my darling wife is from a republic of Russian so I called on her skills to translate for me. She thought the prices were reasonable so that made the purchasing so much easier. At the time of ordering, no kits were available and ever the impatient bugger, I could not, or more correctly would not wait so when I saw there were enough parts to purchase all four plates, a cap and a handle at one time I jumped in. Homelike were kind enough to include a presentation box with my purchase but this kit is a bit of a hotch potch. Some may frown at the idea of mixing a polished cap and handle with a satin plate but I think the overall look is very presentable. An upshot of this kit is that I was able to choose a different handle to that offered in the set; it is longer and also a little heavier. Homelike’s Kardan handle has been machined from round bar with four square sections and three knurled sections; it looks impressive and in use provided exceptional grip wet or dry.

Advertising photos of the Start appear to reveal a razor that is quite lightly constructed but nothing could be further from the truth. Everything about the Start is quite substantial. The plates are heavily constructed but have an oversize drilling for the centre post. It does not affect the alignment in any way because the elongated blade posts on the cap and matching groove in the plate ensure perfect positioning. To the Start’s credit the cap clamps the blade at its very edge and there are large matching flats on the plate. There are tooling marks on the back of the cap but the remainder of the razor is blemish free. The smooth engagement of the thread on the Start is a good indication to me of the quality of workmanship employed in manufacture but if I have one complaint, I would, however like to see the centre post on the cap 3 or 4mm longer for reassurance when tightening the handle. There were no issues with the thread, it worked well but I just feel it’s a little on the short side. Currently there are five different plates available for the Start and Homelike look like adding more choices in plates but this week I’m kicking off with the mildest offering, the 0.69mm SB plate.

From the first stroke I could tell this razor was super mild, far milder than I appreciate. Very smooth, without blade feel and at the end of the shave I could still feel stubble. I then done something I’ve not done in a long time and that was to back up next day for another shave; same result. There are many who agree that a Feather blade is worth a try with a mild razor so that was my next step. A Feather blade can only do so much and in this case the razor set up is so ridiculously mild that the blade could do nothing. Enough is enough, I’ve got a lot more razors that I’ll like more than this set up and finished off the review early. Looking forward to an increase in efficiency next week.

Blades Used – Voskhod and Feather
Material – AISI 304 Stainless Steel
Blade Tab – Covered
Weight – 125g
Head Width – 43.2mm
Handle Length – 90mm
Handle Diameter – 14mm
Availability – Homelike Shaving
Final Word – So mild as to being ineffective

@Errol damn, was looking forward to a favorable review in being efficient enough for me. Guess the higher gaps will need full be considered.
Thanks again.

Homelike Start 0.90mm SB (Russia)

This week I’ve gladly swapped out the 0.69mm plate and replaced it with the 0.90mm mid efficiency SB plate but everything else from last week remains the same. My Homelike razor is an earlier example and machined from AISI 304 stainless steel. Later examples are machined from AISI 316 stainless steel, whether there is any noticeable difference is debatable and I will let those who think they know to debate the subject. This is one quality and well made razor that should appeal to even the most fastidious user. While I like the Start razor, I cannot say that I’m keen on the way the razor information is presented, its etched and lacks sharp lines and some lines appear blurred.

From the first stroke it was apparent that this razor with the 0.90mm plate fitted was one whole lot more efficient that the 0.69mm plate reviewed last week. Its efficiency is still below that of the Karve CB level #C but the efficiency sits near the bottom of my usable range. Super smooth and a close shave without any blade feel is what the 0.90mm plate provides. This time the Feather blade stood a chance and there was a positive improvement in its perceived efficiency. I’m still confident this will be an outstanding razor when I find the efficiency level that I prefer; probably the next step.

Blades Used – Ladas and Feather
Blade Tab – Covered
Weight – 125g
Head Width – 43.2mm
Handle Length – 90mm
Handle Diameter – 14mm
Final Word – Mild

Good review. Don’t really think the type of steel makes a difference for a de. But happy to be proved wrong.

Wolfman WR2 1.05 – WRH2 Handle (Canada)

It’s not every day that someone hears of your predicament and sends you his brand new Wolfman WR2 and says ‘write a review on this and keep it as long as you want’ but that is exactly what @Rami has done. Thanks mate. I reviewed the OC version of the WR2 1.05 earlier in the year and was extremely impressed with the performance of that razor in every way so this review will also be a bit of a comparison between both versions. This razor is finished in the basic polish finish and let me just say that there are not many razors out there with better quality finishes. I’ve not seen the new full polish finish on a WR2 but based on what I’m looking at here they must be a sight to behold. Fitted with the lightened handle, this razor is perfectly balanced and, in my opinion, well worth the extra dollars for the modification. You’d be forgiven for thinking the lightened handle would somehow feel different in the hand or affect the performance of the razor but it doesn’t appear to. Even scrutinising with a magnifying glass, I can find no evidence of where the plug is mated into the handle. As usual with the Wolfman range of razors every machine mark has been erased and the attention to detail of every aspect of this razor’s manufacture is exceptional. Enough razor admiration, time to put a blade in and try this beauty.

The performance of the solid bar 1.05mm WR2 was exceptional. Compared to the 1.05mm OC, this razor was noticeably smoother and something a little unexpected was that the efficiency level dropped and appeared to be around that of a Karve CB level #C (0.95mm?). Rami, quite rightly, is extremely content with the performance of his WR2, 1.05mm razor. It’s only when a nuisance like me comes along who’s tried a couple of WR2’s in the range being discussed and queries the result that things go pear shaped. It would be advantageous for everyone if Wolfman engraved the blade gap on their razors. There was a small amount of blade feel and the shave was ever so close; those whiskers just magically disappeared. This is one very pleasant razor to use and one is on a future shopping list.

Blades Used – Gillette Nacet and Sputnik
Material – 316L Stainless Steel – Basic Polish Finish
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 95g
Head Width – 41.57mm
Handle Length – 89.92mm
Handle Diameter – 14.4mm
Availability – Wolfman
Final Word – Splendid

@Errol

I am so happy you talked me into it. The only other wolfy I tried (as part of the pass around) was too heavy. This one on the other hand was excellent.

Wolfman WR2 1.05 – WRH2 Handle (Canada)

It’s not every day that someone hears of your predicament and sends you his brand new Wolfman WR2 and says ‘write a review on this and keep it as long as you want’ but that is exactly what @Rami has done. Thanks mate. I reviewed the OC version of the WR2 1.05 earlier in the year and was extremely impressed with the performance of that razor in every way so this review will also be a bit of a comparison between both versions. This razor is finished in the basic polish finish and let me just say that there are not many razors out there with better quality finishes. I’ve not seen the new full polish finish on a WR2 but based on what I’m looking at here they must be a sight to behold. Fitted with the lightened handle, this razor is perfectly balanced and, in my opinion, well worth the extra dollars for the modification. You’d be forgiven for thinking the lightened handle would somehow feel different in the hand or affect the performance of the razor but it doesn’t appear to. Even scrutinising with a magnifying glass, I can find no evidence of where the plug is mated into the handle. As usual with the Wolfman range of razors every machine mark has been erased and the attention to detail of every aspect of this razor’s manufacture is exceptional. Enough razor admiration, time to put a blade in and try this beauty.

The performance of the solid bar 1.05mm WR2 was exceptional. Compared to the 1.05mm OC, this razor was noticeably smoother and something a little unexpected was that the efficiency level dropped and appeared to be around that of a Karve CB level #C (0.95mm?). Rami, quite rightly, is extremely content with the performance of his WR2, 1.05mm razor. It’s only when a nuisance like me comes along who’s tried a couple of WR2’s in the range being discussed and queries the result that things go pear shaped. It would be advantageous for everyone if Wolfman engraved the blade gap on their razors. There was a small amount of blade feel and the shave was ever so close; those whiskers just magically disappeared. This is one very pleasant razor to use and one is on a future shopping list.

Blades Used – Gillette Nacet and Sputnik
Material – 316L Stainless Steel – Basic Polish Finish
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 95g
Head Width – 41.57mm
Handle Length – 89.92mm
Handle Diameter – 14.4mm
Availability – Wolfman
Final Word – Splendid
Calling @Mark1966 to the counter please....

Homelike Start 0.90mm SB (Russia)

This week I’ve gladly swapped out the 0.69mm plate and replaced it with the 0.90mm mid efficiency SB plate but everything else from last week remains the same. My Homelike razor is an earlier example and machined from AISI 304 stainless steel. Later examples are machined from AISI 316 stainless steel, whether there is any noticeable difference is debatable and I will let those who think they know to debate the subject. This is one quality and well made razor that should appeal to even the most fastidious user. While I like the Start razor, I cannot say that I’m keen on the way the razor information is presented, its etched and lacks sharp lines and some lines appear blurred.

From the first stroke it was apparent that this razor with the 0.90mm plate fitted was one whole lot more efficient that the 0.69mm plate reviewed last week. Its efficiency is still below that of the Karve CB level #C but the efficiency sits near the bottom of my usable range. Super smooth and a close shave without any blade feel is what the 0.90mm plate provides. This time the Feather blade stood a chance and there was a positive improvement in its perceived efficiency. I’m still confident this will be an outstanding razor when I find the efficiency level that I prefer; probably the next step.

Blades Used – Ladas and Feather
Blade Tab – Covered
Weight – 125g
Head Width – 43.2mm
Handle Length – 90mm
Handle Diameter – 14mm
Final Word – Mild

Thanks @Errol for your reviews of the Homelike START razor (y)

Yaqi 2020 Classic – Stainless Steel Handle (China)

In a move that is unusual for me I made the conscious decision to purchase the Yaqi 2020 Classic razor knowing full well that it came with a zamak head. Yaqi’s Classic razor was reasonably priced but, in the end, it was the stainless steel handle that clinched the deal. Very much based on a WRH7 handle, it lacks the attention to detail in areas like the knurling which feels smooth and lacks that confidence inspiring grip of a real WRH7 handle. There will be some out there who are up with Yaqi speak and know what a SRH-04 head is. I don’t, but for me the parts of the head just don’t look like they have been engineered to mate together. They do fit, but in a very sloppy manner so I’ll be checking when I put a blade in and clamp everything down. The whole razor has been given a shiny, smoky chrome finish and does look very presentable, just don’t look at the detail.

It’s pleasing to report that the blades sat nice and square and that there was an even amount of blade visible on each side when the handle was clamped down. With an efficiency level around that of a Karve CB level #C the shave was smooth, not top shelf but the average punter would be well pleased. I had no complaints about how close the shave was, however in the true test, my wife suggested it wasn’t as close as some shaves I’ve had. After the first couple of shaves there was a small weeper to contend with, probably operator error because there is only a small amount of positive blade feel. For the price this razor performs well and would be a good choice for someone on the look out for a spare or backup razor.

Blades Used – Gillette 7 O’Clock and Ladas
Material – Zamak head/ Stainless Steel handle
Blade Tab – Exposed
Weight – 93g
Head Width – 41.44mm
Handle Length – 91.12+mm
Handle Diameter – 12.24mm
Availability – Yaqi Australia
Final Word – Value for money