Weekly Razor Review

Finally someone is speaking the truth :D

Joke aside, I really can't wait to read your comparison to the V1. The V4 might be of interest to me after all...

Muhle Rocca R94 - V4 (Germany)

Muhle’s Rocca V4, in its various guises has been rousing up the local shaving community and getting everyone excited so what better time than now to chuck a blade in mine and see what all this ruckus is about. I’d stored the Rocca V4 away with the intention of doing a run of reviews on each variation but peer pressure led to a change of heart so I dug it out to see how it performs. It’s taken a while for Muhle to evolve to the fourth version so one would assume that there has been ample time to listen to customer feedback and produce what should be a masterpiece. This razor has a fully machined stainless steel head and is not a metal injected head like that of the earlier versions.

There is nothing special looking about the cap with its elongated blade positioning pins and a blade clamping surface positioned back from its edge. Other than a hole for the handle post there is no other machining present on the rear of the mildly convex plate, not even a lather groove. Lather is dispersed via a shallow groove under the edge of the blade and in practice this set up worked extremely well. While the handle is nicely proportioned, it is hollow and this has contributed in producing a very respectable all up weight of 93g. To complete the package the whole razor has been blasted and is presented in a satin finish.

Selection of the first blade was simple; I’d recently received some Wizamet Iridium Super blades and this choice was further reinforced by the recommendation of users. Smooth, this razor certainly ticked that box but the efficiency level was well down on what I’d expected, somewhere on the high side of a Karve CB #B level. There is the slightest hint of blade feel but only just up on neutral. I’m lost as to why the Rocca V4 is receiving such wide acceptance though, it’s way too mild and with subdued blade feel the whole razor just feels dull and boring; it’s not for me. Surely, this cannot be the razor being raved about.

Even before the review was complete, I’d come up with a two-pronged plan. Firstly, my next razor for review would be a comparison shave using the Rocca V1 I recently acquired, and secondly, I’d seek the assistance of @Razor Burn who has declared the Rocca ‘King’. King of what I don’t know, but what better person to give a second opinion on my Rocca V4? Thanks Razor Burn for your advice and comments:

Hope you're well mate, just letting you know that I have finished my trials and can confirm that the R94 shaves like the others; smooth, efficient and 2 passes + touch ups with a suitable blade left me with BBS or equivalent each time. Best results with Wizamet & Gillette Yellows.
Blade feel is present but at no time did I fear it would butcher me but it does bite if you're sloppy and irritation can occur if add too much pressure or an extra pass as is usually my case. From experience 2 pass is more than enough for a solid DFS”.

Blades Used – Wizamet Iridium Super and Feather
Material – 316L Stainless Steel
Blade Tab – Slightly Exposed
Weight – 93g
Head Width – 42.18mm
Handle Length – 95.12mm
Handle Diameter – 13.77mm
Availability – Readily Available
Final Word – Another razor
We've all been waiting for this one Errol and you along with Razor Burn have fulfilled our expectations. Although I must say I find the local love affair with the Rocca somewhat akin to mass hysteria. While i have had good results with the Muhle R41 and R89, so far I have avoided the Rocca because of many reports of QC issues, including with the V4.

I agree @Errol as my stainless Karve #D SB plate outperforms the R95 V4 Rocca that I have. Obviously the Karve #E, #F, and #G are far superior.
I have tried various blades and while the R95 is a smooth shaver I have to work at it to get the close shave I want...but I'm the sort of shaver who likes the Karve #F and #G plates anyway.
I am debating about a swap for a Blackbird at the moment.
The R95 feels great in the hand and does look good (Missus says I should keep it!).
I guess it's all down to the individual (YMMV sort of thing).
For me it's OK, but not my 'grail' razor. Maybe the Karve is my 'grail' but I just haven't realised that yet?

Well worth the wait for this review and greatly appreciate the honesty as YMMV.

From a personal perspective we will agree to disagree as for me ROCCA V4 ticks all the boxes but thanks again for the opportunity to assist and looking forward to the next Weekly Review!
Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

For me it's OK, but not my 'grail' razor. Maybe the Karve is my 'grail' but I just haven't realised that yet?
@Blackie have you tried SE? When reading @Errol's review of Razorock Hawk V3 (OC) with efficiency increased to around that of a Karve CB #D, and the thinner head it had me thinking this may me easier to maneuver with limited neck movement.

I have to also agree to respectfully disagree with @Errol analysis on this one, and agree with @Razor Burn

It certainly is smooth and you really don't need much concentration to get an amazing shave but what amazes me how this razor is considered 'mild' and I come from the land of JAWS, R41, T95 and WR2 1.25 My growth is very strong and have tough whiskers, for me, not only does the Rocca shave as close as these (maybe not the R41), but the hair feels like it takes longer to grow back and more uniform.

Not only is it as close but much more comfortable with no burn, irritation or weepers which the others can give if I don't pay attention. Can even shave within 12 hrs again (for BBS) and there is no way I can do this with anything else I own. In my Den, this razor is so good it has dethroned everything I own and have tried, where I purchased all three (R94, 95 & 96) and some heavy hitters I own will be up for sale at some point.

I understand YMMV but I really cant understand how this razor can give such varying opinions.. anyway, just my 2 cents and respect all opinions. I guess you got to try it to know for sure :)

Thanks @Holiday good thinking. Been unsure about an SE. Figured that would mean I would have to get a stash of SE blades then too, and they are more expensive per blade.
I will check out SE's though, now that you mention it (and I was checking out the IB site recently and saw the Hawk there).
I notice that the RR Lupo is getting a .70 gap now. Maybe that would suit (sort of a Wolfman in disguise)...but that would need to be better than a WR2 1.15 in efficiency.
Cheers...I will go shopping now! I owe me a Xmas present.

I have to also agree to respectfully disagree with @Errol analysis on this one, and agree with @Razor Burn

It certainly is smooth and you really don't need much concentration to get an amazing shave but what amazes me how this razor is considered 'mild' and I come from the land of JAWS, R41, T95 and WR2 1.25 My growth is very strong and have tough whiskers, for me, not only does the Rocca shave as close as these (maybe not the R41), but the hair feels like it takes longer to grow back and more uniform.

Not only is it as close but much more comfortable with no burn, irritation or weepers which the others can give if I don't pay attention. Can even shave within 12 hrs again (for BBS) and there is no way I can do this with anything else I own. In my Den, this razor is so good it has dethroned everything I own and have tried, where I purchased all three (R94, 95 & 96) and some heavy hitters I own will be up for sale at some point.

I understand YMMV but I really cant understand how this razor can give such varying opinions.. anyway, just my 2 cents and respect all opinions. I guess you got to try it to know for sure :)

The bold from @StratMan is why I rate my experiences using the Rocca V4 so highly as no DE (barring the more expensive WR1 standard SB) produce an equally close shave that I don't notice any significant regrowth 12+ hrs later!!!

Yes my R41 shaves super close as does the Timeless OC Bronze & iKon Tech but the shaves aren't anywhere as smooth/comfortable that I can easily use the Rocca daily with highly desirable results!

Throw in the CG L2, Apollo SH & Karve D plate and you get some awesome shaves but in my experience none shave as effortless each and everytime which is why IMHO ROCCA IS KING!!! I greatly appreciate the different perspectives from the P&C community as the SOTD posts would become pointless if we all just used the same gear...

We all know "that time" - well at least in others.

That time when the batsman's reflexes are a little slower, when the great fast bowler is a yard or two slower.

That time when the great champion's knees get the better of him and he can no longer cover the court like he used to.

That time when the easy birdie becomes not so easy, where the putts are just that inch off.

... or in this case when the greatest razor reviewer of all times publishes a review that we know is just wrong.

Sorry @Errol, I'll give you another chance as it wasn't the R95 Birch Bark you reviewed, but you might need to consider hanging up the blade soon mate.

#jumpingtheshark

#beginningoftheend

#roccarules

:)

Last edited:

That time when the batsman's reflexes are a little slower, when the great fast bowler is a yard or two slower.

That time when the great champion's knees get the better of him and he can no longer cover the court like he used to.

That time when the easy birdie becomes not so easy, where the putts are just that inch off.

... or in this case when the greatest razor reviewer of all times publishes a review that we know is just wrong.

Sorry @Errol, I'll give you another chance as it wasn't the R95 Birch Bark you reviewed, but you might need to consider hanging up the blade soon mate.

#jumpingtheshark

#beginningoftheend

#roccarules

source.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
When Errol gave his review of the EJ 3one6, and commented "just another raxor". I was like wtf ?:LOL:

After shaving with many many different razors I 100% agree Its feels just like another razor.

I guess by the time I shave with as half as many Razors as Errol has, my opinion of the Muhle R94 would most likely be "just another razor"

Thanks Errol for honest reviews. (y)

@Blackie have you tried SE? When reading @Errol's review of Razorock Hawk V3 (OC) with efficiency increased to around that of a Karve CB #D, and the thinner head it had me thinking this may me easier to maneuver with limited neck movement.
Good thinking. I had been wavering on whether or not to get a Hawk V3 or the Rocca, and I jumped on the latter when it became available. In retrospect, I may have been a little hasty, though it's early days yet...
Thanks @Holiday good thinking. Been unsure about an SE. Figured that would mean I would have to get a stash of SE blades then too, and they are more expensive per blade.
Yes, they are more expensive, but most people find they last longer. (Not me, however.) Yaqi Shaving sells no-name Chinese AC blades for $38 for 100, and they give a surprisingly decent shave.

Focus Dynamic R50 (Italy)

Italy is blessed in having some of the best engineers in the world; leaders in the design and manufacturing of anything made of metal including some very desirable automobiles and the most complicated machinery to be seen on the planet; let’s see if they can design and build a razor? When I first read the description for this razor, I had no idea what was being described; hooks, pins, special keys and calibration, what are they talking about? To be perfectly honest I did not know what I was about to purchase. Opening the package, I’m confronted with what is definitely a different looking shaving device. For a start the handle has probably started life as a round piece of stainless steel but has had sections milled off/ out of, but it does feel like it will work OK. When I undone the plastic band around the head, the cap which is a simply plate promptly fell on the floor. Two pins on the cap mate into slotted holes in the bottom plate and with no blade fitted there is no pressure against the cap so as soon as the razor is rotated the cap falls off. Now I’ll be upfront and admit that I’m very predigest when it comes to floppy headed razors, ahhhhhhh! floating head (for the purists) and to make things even more interesting the R50 takes a ½ DE blade. Basically, this is a two piece razor although there are many pieces used in the design so they can get their floppy head working. A very pleasing satin finish has been applied to the R50; looks nice but it’s not enough to get me over the line just yet; the quality of the shave has to do that.

It’s suggested that the DE blade should be broken in two and not cut; the curved portion at the break assists in retaining the cap in position. Sounds like a plan, I’m not a plumber and don’t want to be searching through the gunk in the U bend of the basin looking for a wayward cap. In practice, loading the blade is a fiddly operation that would take time learn and I must admit that I didn’t learn. My first pass is mainly upstrokes and for the most part the razor done an admirable job although the spring action never seemed to be working so this made the cutting angle noticeably acute. Re-lather, downward strokes and all hell broke out. It was not the weepers on my neck that were the problem, it was the two long cuts (12/ 15mm) on the left side of the face and I’d only attempted shaving one side of my handsome mug. Bugger this, I don’t have to put up with this crap so I finished the shave off with another razor and packed the Focus away.

Blades Used – Leaf Super + Platinum
Material – Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 93g
Head Width – 44.08mm
Handle Length – approx 102mm
Handle Diameter – 11.9mm
Availability – Focus
Final Word – Not for this little black duck
So, is this the worst razor you’ve ever used? It certainly was for me!

The bold from @StratMan is why I rate my experiences using the Rocca V4 so highly as no DE (barring the more expensive WR1 standard SB) produce an equally close shave that I don't notice any significant regrowth 12+ hrs later!!!

Yes my R41 shaves super close as does the Timeless OC Bronze & iKon Tech but the shaves aren't anywhere as smooth/comfortable that I can easily use the Rocca daily with highly desirable results!

Throw in the CG L2, Apollo SH & Karve D plate and you get some awesome shaves but in my experience none shave as effortless each and everytime which is why IMHO ROCCA IS KING!!! I greatly appreciate the different perspectives from the P&C community as the SOTD posts would become pointless if we all just used the same gear...
God shave the king. :)

#jumpingtheshark

#beginningoftheend

#roccarules

No question now. This is definitely a case of mass hysteria vs, objective reality. Hang in there Errol!. :rolleyes: