Weekly Razor Review

Muhle Rocca R96 – V1 (Germany)

It was not on the radar to be using my recently acquired Rocca R96 – V1 so soon. However, the less than flattering result I achieved with the R94 – V4 prompted me to trot this razor out after being advised that it can be a bit aggressive. This razor is the first version Rocca and sports a metal injected stainless steel head. Circular flow marks are visible on the underside of the top cap and the top side of the plate. Similar to the later version there is no lather channels in the plate and dispersal of lather is taken care of by a shallow channel under the blade. The handle post is hollow and the thread engagement to the handle is sloppy. Visually, most features of the V1 and V4 heads are very similar. A black coating has been applied to the working section of the handle and it is both visually appealing and pleasant to use. My scales indicate that the R96 is some 14g lighter than the R94; some of this weight reduction may be in the plate but the handle is where the majority of the weight loss has occurred.

With a blade fitted there were no visible alignment issues, a fault that plagued some examples of the V1 Rocca. During the shave the 14g weight loss between the V4 and the V1 was not noticeable and I don’t think contributed in any way to the performance of this razor. There was certainly an increase in efficiency though, up to around that of the Karve CB Level #C and an increase in blade feel. While the shave was maybe not as smooth as with the V4, it was still good and more importantly, close. The shave delivered by this version is far better than what I was able to achieve with the V4 Rocca and up to a level that I could use regularly if I had to.

Blades Used – Gillette 7 O’Clock Green and Personna Prep (now that’s a nice blade)
Material –
Stainless Steel
Blade Tab – Slightly exposed
Weight – 79g
Head Width – 41.3mm
Handle Length – 95.75mm
Handle Diameter – 14mm
Availability – Out of Production
Final Word – Not Bad
Great comparison between the generations and glad to see you had a better experience.
Looking forward to next weeks review :)

Fine Accoutrements – Worlds Finest (China)

A bit of old-world charm mixed with a dose of modern thinking has been used to create Fine Accoutrements’ Worlds Finest safety razor. Where the old world comes in is the bullet shaped blade posts that protrude through the plate while the remainder of the razor is modern thinking. Each part of the razor was individually packed in its own labelled plastic bag and then packed in a larger plastic bag so a final assembly had never been carried out. When I went to screw the handle onto the cap it would not screw on. I tried another handle and it would not screw either. Eventually, by placing some oil on the thread and by getting one thread started, backing it off and screwing on, backing off, etc I was able to get the handle mounted on the cap, thank goodness the handle post was a machined part of the cap and not glued. This whole process took a good ten minutes but I have to say the thread is a close fit – and smooth.

It’s an open combe plate but the teeth are shallow with large rounded edges that feel very comfortable against the face. Assisting with lather dispersal is a long channel machined on either side of the plate. A minimalist design is employed on machining of the cap but those tall bullet shaped blade posts do look out of place. A shortish 80mm long handle is supplied and it has some of the finest knurling I’ve seen on a razor handle. I have little doubt there will be any issues with grip though. The whole razor has been polished to a very high standard even though there are some machine marks visible through the polish on the underside of the cap; you’re being picky Errol.

It may not be a concern when Feather blades are included with a supplied razor but it raises suspicion. Feather blades supplied – Feather blades it is for the first shave. It turned out that my suspicions were well founded; the Worlds Finest razor produced an efficiency of about Karve CB Level #B. With a pleasing amount of blade feel and the resultant shave was super smooth however the closeness of the shave was open to debate. The Worlds Finest aggression level would have only had to be slightly more and I’d be raving how good this razor is, but as it is now, it’s just another razor - too mild. Come on Mr Fine, bring out a more aggressive plate please, the razor deserves it.

Blades Used – Feather and Wizamet Polsilver
Material – 316 Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 97g
Head Width – 40.62mm
Handle Length – 80.1mm
Handle Diameter – 12.45mm
Availability – Fine Accoutrements
Final Word – Worlds Finest – by name only

A bit of old-world charm mixed with a dose of modern thinking has been used to create Fine Accoutrements’ Worlds Finest safety razor. Where the old world comes in is the bullet shaped blade posts that protrude through the plate while the remainder of the razor is modern thinking. Each part of the razor was individually packed in its own labelled plastic bag and then packed in a larger plastic bag so a final assembly had never been carried out. When I went to screw the handle onto the cap it would not screw on. I tried another handle and it would not screw either. Eventually, by placing some oil on the thread and by getting one thread started, backing it off and screwing on, backing off, etc I was able to get the handle mounted on the cap, thank goodness the handle post was a machined part of the cap and not glued. This whole process took a good ten minutes but I have to say the thread is a close fit – and smooth.

It’s an open combe plate but the teeth are shallow with large rounded edges that feel very comfortable against the face. Assisting with lather dispersal is a long channel machined on either side of the plate. A minimalist design is employed on machining of the cap but those tall bullet shaped blade posts do look out of place. A shortish 80mm long handle is supplied and it has some of the finest knurling I’ve seen on a razor handle. I have little doubt there will be any issues with grip though. The whole razor has been polished to a very high standard even though there are some machine marks visible through the polish on the underside of the cap; you’re being picky Errol.

It may not be a concern when Feather blades are included with a supplied razor but it raises suspicion. Feather blades supplied – Feather blades it is for the first shave. It turned out that my suspicions were well founded; the Worlds Finest razor produced an efficiency of about Karve CB Level #B. With a pleasing amount of blade feel and the resultant shave was super smooth however the closeness of the shave was open to debate. The Worlds Finest aggression level would have only had to be slightly more and I’d be raving how good this razor is, but as it is now, it’s just another razor - too mild. Come on Mr Fine, bring out a more aggressive plate please, the razor deserves it.

Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 97g
Head Width – 40.62mm
Handle Length – 80.1mm
Another super review @Errol, And very positive considering what you had to work with. Naming any product "Worlds Finest" can never end well.

A bit of old-world charm mixed with a dose of modern thinking has been used to create Fine Accoutrements’ Worlds Finest safety razor.
Cheers @Errol, I like the concept of old world charm and simple design in a modern and efficient razor. Hopefully Mr Fine listens and provides a slightly more aggressive plate.

Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 97g
Head Width – 40.62mm
Handle Length – 80.1mm
@Errol have you reviewed the Fine Marvel by any chance?
I’m finding that both very comfortable and very efficient. It’s my go to now if I want a closer/longer-lasting shave.

@Errol have you reviewed the Fine Marvel by any chance?
I’m finding that both very comfortable and very efficient. It’s my go to now if I want a closer/longer-lasting shave.

@Ozymandias When I purchased the Worlds Finest I added a Slant to the package but not a Marvel, should have done. I’ll keep my options open and if I can include a Marvel with another purchase I’ll get one. Its the cost of postage that annoys me these days. Don’t be surprised to see a review of a Marvel next year sometime.

I hear you. Especially when said postage has suddenly become glacially slow. Am I the only one who's finding mail has actually slowed down since lockdown has been eased for most of us?
If you're waiting for a shipment from the U.S., the lockdown has actually increased dramatically in recent weeks and the new Postmaster General picked by Trump has made the USPS worse than ever.

I hear you. Especially when said postage has suddenly become glacially slow. Am I the only one who's finding mail has actually slowed down since lockdown has been eased for most of us?

Agree, that's what happens when government postal services are run to put profits before people. It is a global issue.

Haircut and Shave – 17-4 Stainless Steel PO76 SB (USA)

Quality. Everything about this razor simply oozes quality and from the first time your eyes catch a glimpse of that immaculate hand polished finish down to studying the design, you’ve just got to be enthralled by it all. When I first saw this razor was machined from 17-4 stainless steel my ears pricked; 17-4 stainless steel is renowned as being difficult to machine but produces a jewel like polished finish and let me assure you, it has produced a jewel here in this razor. In designing the PO76, H&S took a minimalist approach with the head and there is virtually no where that material could be removed without destroying its integrity. If H&S had seen fit to lengthen the centre post by a couple of milometers it would have been appreciated though. Clamping of the blade is achieved on large flat surface at the very edge of the cap and these correspond to equally large flats on the top of the plate. If there is a downside anywhere on this razor it has to be the knurling on the handle, it is a simple pressed knurl and not the machined knurl one would expect.

I’m captivated by the finish achieved on the PO76; it has been hand done to the most impressive polish you’re ever likely to see and there is not a blemish to be seen. Just looking at the razor seems to add a smudge to that shine and my big sweaty fingers certainly leave their calling card. H&S thought about people handling this razor and included a polishing cloth in the package. It seems a pity to put a blade in the PO76, it looks that good.

Included in the dedicated protective case was a tuck of Gillette Nacet blades; big hint, I’ll use one of those first. Initially, the combination of light head and a heavy style handle made the balance of the PO76 feel handle heavy but as natural compensations kicked in, the balance became less of a contributing factor. I would still like to see some weight reduction on the handle to provide a more balanced feel to the razor though. With an efficiency at a Karve CB #C level the shave was smooth but I was left feeling that the shave could have been closer. There is a small amount of blade feel present but I would like to have a little more. This is a very well made and presented razor, but produced a shave very close to that achieved with H&S’s own NO75.

Blades Used – Gillette Nacet and Gillette Rubie
Material – 17-4 Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 105g
Head Width – 43.02mm
Handle Length – 94.85mm
Handle Diameter – 13.9mm
Availability – Haircut and Shave
Final Word – Good

Haircut and Shave - Titanium PO76 SB (USA)

An impeccable hand polished finish grabbed my eye as I opened the dedicated Pelican styled protective case Haircut and Shave now provide with their top tier razors. This finish is on par with the very best and it should be; the cost of the Titanium PO76 SB has already increased by 50% since I purchased mine. It’s a very uncluttered designed head and there is nowhere further metal could be removed while still maintaining its integrity. One slightly annoying feature is the short handle post on the cap, it is barely adequate in length and could easily have been extended by 3 or 4mm. Unfortunately, the thread fit is a bit sloppy also. As with its stainless steel sibling, the bulk of the weight in this razor is in the handle, but being titanium the handle heavy balance is not as pronounced when compared with its stainless steel sibling.

Haircut and Shave seem to have no allegiance to any one blade and included a tuck of Kai blades, Kai blade first up. First stroke – you could have knocked me over with a feather; this, the H&S Ti PO76 razor has personality. It’s up a notch in efficiency to Karve CB #D plus, and up an even longer step in blade feel. I was expecting a mundane shave and was pleasantly blown away by the performance. With that amount blade feel the Ti PO76 was never going to be silky smooth but there is no doubt about how close the shave finished up. It’s one of those audible razors that positively sings as it scythes down the stubble. There goes my theory on titanium razors being milder than their stainless steel siblings. This is a razor!!! and to think I nearly decided to bypass it.

Blades Used – Kai & Wizamet Polsilver
Material –
Titanium Grade 5
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 60g
Head Width – 42.88mm
Handle Length – 95.02mm
Handle Diameter – 13.6mm
Final Word – A performer

An impeccable hand polished finish grabbed my eye as I opened the dedicated Pelican styled protective case Haircut and Shave now provide with their top tier razors. This finish is on par with the very best and it should be; the cost of the Titanium PO76 SB has already increased by 50% since I purchased mine. It’s a very uncluttered designed head and there is nowhere further metal could be removed while still maintaining its integrity. One slightly annoying feature is the short handle post on the cap, it is barely adequate in length and could easily have been extended by 3 or 4mm. Unfortunately, the thread fit is a bit sloppy also. As with its stainless steel sibling, the bulk of the weight in this razor is in the handle, but being titanium the handle heavy balance is not as pronounced when compared with its stainless steel sibling.

Haircut and Shave seem to have no allegiance to any one blade and included a tuck of Kai blades, Kai blade first up. First stroke – you could have knocked me over with a feather; this, the H&S Ti PO76 razor has personality. It’s up a notch in efficiency to Karve CB #D plus, and up an even longer step in blade feel. I was expecting a mundane shave and was pleasantly blown away by the performance. With that amount blade feel the Ti PO76 was never going to be silky smooth but there is no doubt about how close the shave finished up. It’s one of those audible razors that positively sings as it scythes down the stubble. There goes my theory on titanium razors being milder than their stainless steel siblings. This is a razor!!! and to think I nearly decided to bypass it.

Material –
Titanium Grade 5
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 60g
Head Width – 42.88mm
Handle Length – 95.02mm
Handle Diameter – 13.6mm
Final Word – A performer
Nice photo! Interesting read.

Material –
Titanium Grade 5
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 60g
Head Width – 42.88mm
Handle Length – 95.02mm
Handle Diameter – 13.6mm
Final Word – A performer
Currently $600. USD plus tax. WOW!

As with its stainless steel sibling, the bulk of the weight in this razor is in the handle, but being titanium the handle heavy balance is not as pronounced when compared with its stainless steel sibling.

Both H&S PO76 are beautiful looking razors @Errol. I wonder if the stainless head on Titanium handle would solve some of the balance issues, although given the thread issues probably not going to happen :)

Yet another informative review of a razor that's well out of my budget! :( It's amazing how many Titanium razors have been released recently with each providing exceptional finishing that revile the highest standards set by James of Wolfman.
Merry Christmas @Errol and thanks for brightening up what has mostly been a crappy 2020! Looking forward to what you review in 2021... :nailbiting:

Yet another informative review of a razor that's well out of my budget! :( It's amazing how many Titanium razors have been released recently with each providing exceptional finishing that revile the highest standards set by James of Wolfman.
Merry Christmas @Errol and thanks for brightening up what has mostly been a crappy 2020! Looking forward to what you review in 2021... :nailbiting:

Thanks @Razor Burn and everyone else for your assistance and encouragement throughout 2020. To one and all have a very Merry Christmas.