Weekly Razor Review

Wowzers how do you keep uncovering these hidden gems @Errol!?

Whatever the secret is P&C is better for these Weekly Reviews and yet another Eastern European manufacturer on my radar!!!

Can't wait to see what you have up your sleave as the last few reviews have been promising... :nailbiting::love:

@Wilkshire13 I have not been able to find that site for ages. Thanks for alerting me. Now others can enjoy the pleasure of a Monocero.
Log into your weekly razor review SPREADSHEETS!!!!!! :smuggrin: because @Mark1966 is waiting for you to join him in the spreadsheets doghouse!!!

@Errol if you had to pick between the helix apollo and the monocero which would it be?

Hey @StratMan why don’t you ask me a difficult question. How do you choose between two exceptional razors? The Smart Helix was my razor of the year two years ago and the Monocero is well in the running this year. Having said that I think I would choose the Smart Helix but it’s all personal choice. I’m lucky, I don’t have to make that choice.

Hey @StratMan why don’t you ask me a difficult question. How do you choose between two exceptional razors? The Smart Helix was my razor of the year two years ago and the Monocero is well in the running this year. Having said that I think I would choose the Smart Helix but it’s all personal choice. I’m lucky, I don’t have to make that choice.

nice reply, I got from that ‘all good, ya can’t stuff up’

have you read all your reviews on both and feel id be happy with either

but the smart helix has both plates and I think covering two bases is the way to go👍

Heh, if I were in your footwear, I'd be hoping I could make my razor of the year one that isn't already unobtainium almost before it's even released. That's even more of a teaser than those shiny Lycanthrope thingies.

Monocero Husaria CC (Poland)

Question - What happens when members of the Polish Shaving Forum, Galeria start firing ideas at each other as to what would constitute a great razor? Answer - They come up with many ideas that could be used in their own razor. As circumstances would have it, a moderator just happens to have access to a machine shop and many of the ideas generated during those discussions were incorporated into this razor. Initially, only Qty 100 of the razors were going to be made and sold to members at cost. That may well be the case but I managed to secure mine off the Monocero website but it seems that site has now been taken down. I can only assume that all 100 have been accounted for; strange really because there were straights advertised also.

Tradere, most certainly, but I can’t think of too many other razors where the handle is a main focal point of the razor; Monocero also designed their razor around the handle and its stand. The handle’s main section is slightly tapered with twin parallel spirals but it’s an incorporated ball near the end of the handle, that when inserted into its dedicated stand appears as a ball joint and that’s what sets the handle apart. Two heads were ordered; one with a CC and the other an OC comb. Round blade location posts are located under the cap. There are two rails on the top of the plate for blade clamping but these are set inside the edge of the cap. Lather clearance is achieved by two generously wide channels on each side of the plate. Not long after ordering, I was contacted to enquire what sort of finish I would like. I chose polished and I’m pleased I did. An exceptional job has been achieved, but the underside of the cap and the top of the plate have been left satin; very decent.

Congratulations to the Galera Shaving Forum; you have nailed it with the specifications you’ve thrashed out for the Monocero. Of course, there were prototypes and refinements along the way but the razor I reviewed was incredible. Efficiency was below that of a Karve CB Level #D and it provided as smooth a shave as I’ve enjoyed in a long time. Blade feel was present, but that too was subdued. There were no nasty surprises and this in one razor that makes you feel secure and inspires confidence while it goes about its business of shaving. My understanding is that there will be no more Monocero razors produced but if they ever decide to do another run, my advice is to grab one. This razor is good.

Blades Used – Gillette Minora and Shark
Material –
316 Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 100g
Head Width – 42.92mm
Handle Length – 91.64mm
Handle Diameter – Tapered
Availability – Out of production
Final Word – Shaving bliss
I actually went to their website, clicked on the add to cart button for the razor and the razor was placed in the cart. I then clicked on proceed to checkout button and nothing happens. Oh well, I tried.

I actually went to their website, clicked on the add to cart button for the razor and the razor was placed in the cart. I then clicked on proceed to checkout button and nothing happens. Oh well, I tried.
Send them an email to find out what’s going on?

Try opening the cart tab (koszyk) in another tab (by right clicking) and it should open up with options to choose postage or add some London Bridge Stainless razor blades.

Monocero Husaria OC (Poland)

Last week I reviewed the Monocero Husaria CC razor and this week it’s the turn of the OC version. When I think of an OC plate I envisage teeth, but that is not really the case with the Monocero Husaria OC; the edge of the plate is almost flat. Certainly, there are bumps on the top of the plate edge, but they are not high and to my way of thinking they more of less trail along behind while shaving. There’s probably a simple explanation so I’ll ask Mariusz from Monocero who executed the final design and machined it. “thank you for your email. I'm very much heavier on your question. Classic Open Comb is a technologically very popular solution that is used for quite long stubble. Monocero Husaria OC is a technologically much more difficult solution to implement, but more practical in use for 4 or 5-day stubble. This type of solution is used in the most popular, aggressive razor in the world, the Muhle r41. Monocerio Husaria OC is supposed to be equally effective but more gentle in the feeling of shaving your face. Thanks again for noticing this subtle difference, because I put a lot of work into this solution.” There you have it, straight from the horse’s mouth but in reality, I still don’t understand. I won’t be using the Monocero Husaria on a 4 or 5-day growth so will not be checking than part of its pedigree. If I went for four days without a shave there would be claw marks on the ceiling as the itch would drive me up the wall, instead’ I’ll be doing my normal every second day shave.

When I ordered the Monocero, I ordered the two heads on offer and it’s interesting that the heads have consecutive numbers; 1/50 of the production is now in my possession. All that’s carried over from the last review razor is that artistically designed handle. The two lather channels on either side of the plate are simply huge so there will be no clogging for sure. Again, the polish job on this razor is second to none and praiseworthy for its luster.

I was warned that the efficiency of the Monocero Husaria OC was approaching that of the Muhle R41(cast zinc version) but with less blade feel and a comfortably smooth shave. In reality the performance of the Monocero OC was a step up (quite a big one really) on the CC version in everything except smoothness where it was marginally less smooth. I could actually feel the bumps on the comb as it shaved; there was no harshness like with some conventionally machined OC razors but rather a smooth caressing feeling. If that constitutes an open comb, then I must eat my words. There is little doubt that the Monocero OC would mow down a 4 or 5-day growth with consummate ease. I’d like to recommend that if you’re looking for an aggressive razor and don’t want the side of your face being whittled away; try the Monocero Husaria OC. This razor is good.

Blades Used – Wizamet Polsilver and Gillette Super Stainless
Material –
316 Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 100g
Head Width – 42.92mm
Handle Length – 91.64mm
Handle Diameter – Tapered
Availability – Out of Production
Final Word – Effortless

Another entertaining read and awesome review. (y)

Blutt BR1 Rasur - 0.86mm (Switzerland)

Machined, stainless steel, made in Switzerland, I’m in. There was a small release of the Blutt BR-1 Rasur in April that I missed completely so I sent an email asking if at the next scheduled release, they could supply additional plates as well. “If you’d like I can check our inventory as we’ve set aside some stock in case of lost packages etc”. I’d like - so payment was made to include both the 0.86mm and 0.99mm plates (at that time there was no 1.20mm plate on offer). Swiss Made, it’s proudly engraved on both the underside of the cap and the plate; when I see the word Swiss I immediately think watches and quality manufacture. What I’m seeing on the Blutt is some of the most complex machining to be seen on any razor; its a super light weight cap that protrudes past the end of the plate but the plate is where the detail in the machining is most visible. The more the plate is studied, the more the designed in elements becomes apparent; quality all the way. Its safety bar is thin but Blutt have managed to machine notches along the face. Something I’ve not seen to much before is the razor’s information engraved under the cap as well as on the back of the plate; read the top line then swing it around to read the other line. Blutt’s BR1 handle has a forward grip with spiral knurl, two grooves around the rear section and a relieved centre portion. An eye-catching satin finish adorns the razor and there is not a machine mark to be seen on any surface.

It seemed an odd pairing when the supplied blades were Polsilver Super Iridium and Perma-Sharp so I chose the Polsilvers for the first shave. I was warming the BR1 under the tap and found myself studying the end profile of the head and I’m intrigued by just how thin a head had been machined. There is no way this head is going to be detrimental to those who steer clear of those fat sledge hammer headed razors. This razor is well balanced and feels ‘just right’ in the hand. Efficiency wise, the Blutt BR1 with the 0.86mm plate is comparable to the Karve CB level #C and possesses the sweetest amount of blade feel. This razor not only shaved close but inspired confidence with its reassuring abilities. You’d be correct in thinking that I like this razor but I am looking forward to slipping the more efficient plate in next week; that may just be the icing on the cake.

Blades Used – Polsilver Super Iridium and Feather
Material –
303 Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 95g
Head Width – 42.96mm
Handle Length – 89.81mm
Handle Diameter – 12.09mm
Availability – Blutt Rasur
Final Word – Swiss precision

Blutt BR1 Rasur - 0.86mm (Switzerland)

Machined, stainless steel, made in Switzerland, I’m in. There was a small release of the Blutt BR-1 Rasur in April that I missed completely so I sent an email asking if at the next scheduled release, they could supply additional plates as well. “If you’d like I can check our inventory as we’ve set aside some stock in case of lost packages etc”. I’d like - so payment was made to include both the 0.86mm and 0.99mm plates (at that time there was no 1.20mm plate on offer). Swiss Made, it’s proudly engraved on both the underside of the cap and the plate; when I see the word Swiss I immediately think watches and quality manufacture. What I’m seeing on the Blutt is some of the most complex machining to be seen on any razor; its a super light weight cap that protrudes past the end of the plate but the plate is where the detail in the machining is most visible. The more the plate is studied, the more the designed in elements becomes apparent; quality all the way. Its safety bar is thin but Blutt have managed to machine notches along the face. Something I’ve not seen to much before is the razor’s information engraved under the cap as well as on the back of the plate; read the top line then swing it around to read the other line. Blutt’s BR1 handle has a forward grip with spiral knurl, two grooves around the rear section and a relieved centre portion. An eye-catching satin finish adorns the razor and there is not a machine mark to be seen on any surface.

It seemed an odd pairing when the supplied blades were Polsilver Super Iridium and Perma-Sharp so I chose the Polsilvers for the first shave. I was warming the BR1 under the tap and found myself studying the end profile of the head and I’m intrigued by just how thin a head had been machined. There is no way this head is going to be detrimental to those who steer clear of those fat sledge hammer headed razors. This razor is well balanced and feels ‘just right’ in the hand. Efficiency wise, the Blutt BR1 with the 0.86mm plate is comparable to the Karve CB level #C and possesses the sweetest amount of blade feel. This razor not only shaved close but inspired confidence with its reassuring abilities. You’d be correct in thinking that I like this razor but I am looking forward to slipping the more efficient plate in next week; that may just be the icing on the cake.

Blades Used – Polsilver Super Iridium and Feather
Material –
303 Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 95g
Head Width – 42.96mm
Handle Length – 89.81mm
Handle Diameter – 12.09mm
Availability – Blutt Rasur
Final Word – Swiss precision
Thanks @Errol. I just ordered one with 0.99 and 1.20 plates! (y)