Weekly Razor Review

Great review mate!

Blutt BR1 Rasur - 0.86mm (Switzerland)

Machined, stainless steel, made in Switzerland, I’m in. There was a small release of the Blutt BR-1 Rasur in April that I missed completely so I sent an email asking if at the next scheduled release, they could supply additional plates as well. “If you’d like I can check our inventory as we’ve set aside some stock in case of lost packages etc”. I’d like - so payment was made to include both the 0.86mm and 0.99mm plates (at that time there was no 1.20mm plate on offer). Swiss Made, it’s proudly engraved on both the underside of the cap and the plate; when I see the word Swiss I immediately think watches and quality manufacture. What I’m seeing on the Blutt is some of the most complex machining to be seen on any razor; its a super light weight cap that protrudes past the end of the plate but the plate is where the detail in the machining is most visible. The more the plate is studied, the more the designed in elements becomes apparent; quality all the way. Its safety bar is thin but Blutt have managed to machine notches along the face. Something I’ve not seen to much before is the razor’s information engraved under the cap as well as on the back of the plate; read the top line then swing it around to read the other line. Blutt’s BR1 handle has a forward grip with spiral knurl, two grooves around the rear section and a relieved centre portion. An eye-catching satin finish adorns the razor and there is not a machine mark to be seen on any surface.

It seemed an odd pairing when the supplied blades were Polsilver Super Iridium and Perma-Sharp so I chose the Polsilvers for the first shave. I was warming the BR1 under the tap and found myself studying the end profile of the head and I’m intrigued by just how thin a head had been machined. There is no way this head is going to be detrimental to those who steer clear of those fat sledge hammer headed razors. This razor is well balanced and feels ‘just right’ in the hand. Efficiency wise, the Blutt BR1 with the 0.86mm plate is comparable to the Karve CB level #C and possesses the sweetest amount of blade feel. This razor not only shaved close but inspired confidence with its reassuring abilities. You’d be correct in thinking that I like this razor but I am looking forward to slipping the more efficient plate in next week; that may just be the icing on the cake.

Blades Used – Polsilver Super Iridium and Feather
Material –
303 Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 95g
Head Width – 42.96mm
Handle Length – 89.81mm
Handle Diameter – 12.09mm
Availability – Blutt Rasur
Final Word – Swiss precision

Thanks, Errol. This one definitely catches my attention. Look forward to next week's review. Take care.

Hello everyone, my name is Mariusz nik Monocero. I would like to thank Errol for the Monocero Husaria reviews. It is not a strictly commercial product but the effect of a hobbyist love. It was nice to read other interesting reviews on the forum. I will visit here more often :)

@Monocero Welcome to P&C and thanks for the kind words. I continually have trouble accessing the Monocero website and when I do, I cannot work out if the razors are still available or not. Can you please advise and while you’re at it could you shed some light on the product from a manufacturers view. Thanks.

Thanks for your interest. We had a holiday stop in production and the previous batch was sold. They will be available back in October.
The machine is manufactured in small parts, because it is not my job but a hobby.
The entire finish of the machine, polishing and satin finishing is done by hand. It is very laborious.
In October, 8 pcs. 6 pcs CC, 1 pcs OC and 1 pcs MIX will be available.

Blutt BR1 Rasur - 0.99mm (Switzerland)

Success last week, so this week I’ve swapped to the more efficient 0.99mm plate from the Blutt inventory. As described last week, the Blutt is a quality machined razor; good enough to wear that Swiss made tag and everything expected of that honor. Blutt’s BR1 cap is super lightweight, as indeed is the whole head; clamping of the blade is achieved on large flats at the outer edges of the cap that mate perfectly with flats machined onto the plate. The plate is a complex machined artistic masterpiece where the back is releived but leaving a raised strengthening section around the center hole for the handle to butt up against. There was no skimping on handle post length and the quality of the thread engagement is excellent. Blutt’s BR1 handle is not only a show pony but a workhorse that provides good grip and is short enough to be maneuverable. There is not a machine mark present on any part of the razor and being delivered in a genuine all-over satin finish, suits the Blutt style of presentation.

Yes! Yes! Eventually I’ve picked exactly what I figured the razor would deliver; maybe that should read, hoped the razor would deliver. Either way, this razor is good. Karve CB #D level efficiency, smooth as a hot knife through butter and blade feel that is certainly present but not at all intrusive. With the BR1, the whole shaving experience can be enjoyed as your mind to travels in auto and the stubble melts away under the Blutt’s very presence. I’d hoped that the 0.99mm plate would be the icing on the cake and it lived up to every expectation. This is one highly recommended combination.

Blades Used – Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow and Gillette Super Stainless
Material – 303 Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 95g
Head Width – 42.96mm
Handle Length – 89.81mm
Final Word – As good as it gets

Hey @StratMan why don’t you ask me a difficult question. How do you choose between two exceptional razors? The Smart Helix was my razor of the year two years ago and the Monocero is well in the running this year. Having said that I think I would choose the Smart Helix but it’s all personal choice. I’m lucky, I don’t have to make that choice.

The Smart Helix Light which I am using is super enjoyable. I am waiting for Monocero to make the next batch of razors so I can find out too!

Thanks again @Errol for an entertaining read and adding to my R.A.D as this one is very very tempting... :unsure:(y)

Blutt BR1 Rasur - 0.99mm (Switzerland)

Success last week, so this week I’ve swapped to the more efficient 0.99mm plate from the Blutt inventory. As described last week, the Blutt is a quality machined razor; good enough to wear that Swiss made tag and everything expected of that honor. Blutt’s BR1 cap is super lightweight, as indeed is the whole head; clamping of the blade is achieved on large flats at the outer edges of the cap that mate perfectly with flats machined onto the plate. The plate is a complex machined artistic masterpiece where the back is releived but leaving a raised strengthening section around the center hole for the handle to butt up against. There was no skimping on handle post length and the quality of the thread engagement is excellent. Blutt’s BR1 handle is not only a show pony but a workhorse that provides good grip and is short enough to be maneuverable. There is not a machine mark present on any part of the razor and being delivered in a genuine all-over satin finish, suits the Blutt style of presentation.

Yes! Yes! Eventually I’ve picked exactly what I figured the razor would deliver; maybe that should read, hoped the razor would deliver. Either way, this razor is good. Karve CB #D level efficiency, smooth as a hot knife through butter and blade feel that is certainly present but not at all intrusive. With the BR1, the whole shaving experience can be enjoyed as your mind to travels in auto and the stubble melts away under the Blutt’s very presence. I’d hoped that the 0.99mm plate would be the icing on the cake and it lived up to every expectation. This is one highly recommended combination.

Blades Used – Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow and Gillette Super Stainless
Material – 303 Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 95g
Head Width – 42.96mm
Handle Length – 89.81mm
Final Word – As good as it gets

Awesome review... Looking to purchase my next razor and torn between this and Monocero. Any advice from the expert.

I have Apollo Helix light and Karve - D&E and love both.

Thanks

Muhle R41 - Titanium (Germany)

Any release of a titanium razor makes me anxious so when Muhle released their R41 Ti, my interest was immediately aroused. It would be a limited release, available only by over-the-counter sales at both the Muhle London and Berlin stores. Inscribed, probably laser cut into the cap is a squiggly line or two, that represents each of these cities and there would be 100 individually numbered razors for each store. Thinking cap on, how am I going to get one of these? BST was looking like my best chance, maybe there would be a later release for the rest of us plebs around the world. Bugger it, nothing to lose, I’ll email Muhle London. Their response was what I expected. What’s this? @Missoni is writing about his experience with the R41 Ti and he’s in the UK; worth a try. ‘I live some distance from London; my travel costs were more than the razor’. Back to the drawing board. My next email from @Missoni was the clincher and I was advised that a friend was going to London to buy a R-41 razor and we were put in touch with each other. Les, you’re a shining light and I’m forever grateful to both yourself and @Missoni for your efforts. Thanks again for enabling me to join the (eventual, they’re not all sold) 100-member strong group with London R41 Ti’s.

Unlike its stainless steel sibling, there is no game of ‘catch the greasy pig’ as you hold the titanium version. The finish patterns on their handles may look identical but the R-41Ti is assisted by titanium’s natural ability to provide grip; it may not be the best grip ever, but the razor felt controlled while in use. Anyone who has ever held any of the R41’s will instantly recognise the indisputable silhouette of the Ti R41 razor; large lather channels, positive blade clamping at the large radiused edge of the cap, round blade posts and the scalloped profile. Where there is a big difference to the stainless steel R41 is with the finish, the Ti wears a high quality satin finish and I’m a huge fan of satin titanium finishes. Etched on the top side of the plate is LDN and the serial number. Les ‘Please let me know if there is a specific edition number you would like’. ‘My favourite number is #46, that would be good but really it won’t make the razor shave any different’. Les delivered again. Mate, you’re a champion.

Control was sadly absent from the stainless steel R41 variant but with the titanium R41, there were no issues – blame the stainless steel version’s slippery handle. When there is control, the razor can be guided to do as required and all the while, confidence in the razor is enhanced. Although the efficiency was similar between the two versions, the Ti razor simply out performed the Stainless Steel R41 because I was in control. Blade feel was high in the comfort zone, therefore the shave was never going to be overly smooth, but it wasn’t too bad. Closeness though, was never in doubt. When I reach for a blade, selecting a Muhle blade does not even enter my head but sitting there in the Ti’s packaging was a pack of Muhle blades. I done what any normal person would do and left them there, instead, grabbing a blade out of a pack in the stache. Well, the Muhle blade did not set the world on fire with its performance; nothing spectacular, but it did contribute to my enjoyment of the Muhle R41 Ti. Weighing in some 48g lighter than the stainless steel version provided the Ti with more maneuverability and this could be further boosted by reducing the length of the handle by about 10mm. Every shave with the Ti was an improvement on the last, therefore I came away enjoying my time with the Ti R41, it just makes shaving so simple. I’m going to say that I enjoyed the Ti R41 equally as much as the molded zinc R41 and more than the stainless steel version.

Blades Used – Gillette Platinum and Muhle
Material –
Gr5 Titanium
Blade Tab – Covered
Weight – 66g
Head Width – 42.24mm
Handle Length – 98.9mm
Handle Diameter – 14.14mm
Availability – Muhle London shop and Muhle Berlin shop – over the counter sales only
Final Word – Challenging to obtain

Muhle R41 - Titanium (Germany)

Any release of a titanium razor makes me anxious so when Muhle released their R41 Ti, my interest was immediately aroused. It would be a limited release, available only by over-the-counter sales at both the Muhle London and Berlin stores. Inscribed, probably laser cut into the cap is a squiggly line or two, that represents each of these cities and there would be 100 individually numbered razors for each store. Thinking cap on, how am I going to get one of these? BST was looking like my best chance, maybe there would be a later release for the rest of us plebs around the world. Bugger it, nothing to lose, I’ll email Muhle London. Their response was what I expected. What’s this? @Missoni is writing about his experience with the R41 Ti and he’s in the UK; worth a try. ‘I live some distance from London; my travel costs were more than the razor’. Back to the drawing board. My next email from @Missoni was the clincher and I was advised that a friend was going to London to buy a R-41 razor and we were put in touch with each other. Les, you’re a shining light and I’m forever grateful to both yourself and @Missoni for your efforts. Thanks again for enabling me to join the (eventual, they’re not all sold) 100-member strong group with London R41 Ti’s.

Unlike its stainless steel sibling, there is no game of ‘catch the greasy pig’ as you hold the titanium version. The finish patterns on their handles may look identical but the R-41Ti is assisted by titanium’s natural ability to provide grip; it may not be the best grip ever, but the razor felt controlled while in use. Anyone who has ever held any of the R41’s will instantly recognise the indisputable silhouette of the Ti R41 razor; large lather channels, positive blade clamping at the large radiused edge of the cap, round blade posts and the scalloped profile. Where there is a big difference to the stainless steel R41 is with the finish, the Ti wears a high quality satin finish and I’m a huge fan of satin titanium finishes. Etched on the top side of the plate is LDN and the serial number. Les ‘Please let me know if there is a specific edition number you would like’. ‘My favourite number is #46, that would be good but really it won’t make the razor shave any different’. Les delivered again. Mate, you’re a champion.

Control was sadly absent from the stainless steel R41 variant but with the titanium R41, there were no issues – blame the stainless steel version’s slippery handle. When there is control, the razor can be guided to do as required and all the while, confidence in the razor is enhanced. Although the efficiency was similar between the two versions, the Ti razor simply out performed the Stainless Steel R41 because I was in control. Blade feel was high in the comfort zone, therefore the shave was never going to be overly smooth, but it wasn’t too bad. Closeness though, was never in doubt. When I reach for a blade, selecting a Muhle blade does not even enter my head but sitting there in the Ti’s packaging was a pack of Muhle blades. I done what any normal person would do and left them there, instead, grabbing a blade out of a pack in the stache. Well, the Muhle blade did not set the world on fire with its performance; nothing spectacular, but it did contribute to my enjoyment of the Muhle R41 Ti. Weighing in some 48g lighter than the stainless steel version provided the Ti with more maneuverability and this could be further boosted by reducing the length of the handle by about 10mm. Every shave with the Ti was an improvement on the last, therefore I came away enjoying my time with the Ti R41, it just makes shaving so simple. I’m going to say that I enjoyed the Ti R41 equally as much as the molded zinc R41 and more than the stainless steel version.

Blades Used – Gillette Platinum and Muhle
Material –
Gr5 Titanium
Blade Tab – Covered
Weight – 66g
Head Width – 42.24mm
Handle Length – 98.9mm
Handle Diameter – 14.14mm
Availability – Muhle London shop and Muhle Berlin shop – over the counter sales only
Final Word – Challenging to obtain

I'm happy to fly to Berlin and pick up a matching one for you!

Another detailed and enjoyable read from the guru. Cheers @Errol for what is always a highlight of my week. (y)

Stando Eagle - Lance (Poland)

Availability of the full inventory of Stando razers has always been patchy. While browsing through Etsy, as I’m inclined to do from time to time, there was the Eagle, only one left, I’ll grab that. This time Stando had mounted their Eagle head on a Lance handle; this style of handle appeals to me therefore that handle did not hold back the purchase at all. It looks to be based on Stando’s own Suomi handle design but with the centre section of the handle relieved. You’ll see two caps advertised for the Eagle: one rounded, the other angular. It’s the angular cap that sits on my razor; previously I’ve had no issues with this style of cap from Stando so I remain confident this cap will not hinder the razor’s performance. With a handle post that is marginally longer than the two previous offerings I’ve sampled from Stando, there were no complaints. Stando’s Eagle joins a growing number of razors where the round blade posts are located on top of the plate. There is a large blade clamping surface at the edge of the cap and this mates to a corresponding surface on the plate. Due to a wide lather channel, much of the blade clamping area has been machined away but there is still sufficient surface area remaining to positively secure the blade. As with the other Stando razors I’ve sampled, the machining is perfect with not a blemish to be seen and when decked out in a quality satin finish, the Eagle is a stunning razor. I’d always felt that the Eagle would be one of Stando’s bigger sellers, but it has also had the chop from the inventory. When quizzed about it, Stan advised that he was researching a replacement.

Stanislaw, Old Son, there is not one change that I’d make to the parameters on the Eagle’s new replacement. You could relocate the blade posts to the cap, but otherwise leave the Eagle as it is. If it ain’t broke don’t try and fix it. Efficiency wise, the Eagle sits in that pleasant to use Karve CB level #D region, certainly shaving close and smoothness was not too bad either. Blade feel sits just at the high side of nice therefore the Eagle has all the right ingrediencies to deliver a sensational shaving experience, and it does. Even at 90mm in length there were no complaints about the maneuverability and control of the Eagle with the Lance handle fitted. Overall, this is a bloody good razor and well worth checking out.

Blades Used – Wizamet Polsilver and Triton
Material – Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 89g
Head Width – 43.02mm
Handle Length – 89.96mm
Handle Diameter – 12.11mm
Availability – Stando Polska/ Etsy
Final Word – Pretty good