Weekly Razor Review

This is a really great razor but it has the potential to be even better. As a pre production razor feedback from users can only help develop the production razor to display its full potential. The mild plate is superb and can be left unaltered but the aggr plate needs to have a wider efficiency gap to the mild plate and at the same time make the aggr plate as smooth to use as the mild plate. The combination of the Ti RS-10 razor and mild plate produced wonderful shaves. Put your name down for one, you’ll be pleased you did. And Avi, if you read this review, I would recommend that each of the limited edition Ti RS-10’s be serial numbered. No #46 for me please.
new year.
Interesting number and obviously a meaning. :)
From your reviews and others I am very interested in the RS-10 and now the Ti RS-10 so thank you.
As highlighted, you have concerns on the gap and smoothness of the aggressive plate so do we know that Avi will address this on the new Ti RS-10 as per the feedback?

Interesting number and obviously a meaning. :)
From your reviews and others I am very interested in the RS-10 and now the Ti RS-10 so thank you.
As highlighted, you have concerns on the gap and smoothness of the aggressive plate so do we know that Avi will address this on the new Ti RS-10 as per the feedback?

Avi was sent the link and requested confirmation of what my findings were. He also advised no other feedback on the aggr plate had been received.

Blackland Dart - Polished (USA)

screen capture program

This Dart is not a Blackland polished Dart but one finished by @Errol. To satisfy my desire to polish a stainless steel razor I initially purchase a second Feather AS-D2 but was advised against that exercise because the Feather is made from stainless steel and then plated. This plating must be removed before a polish job can be done, forget that exercise. Next I’d try to polish a Razorock Game Changer but by the time I’d acquired my second razor there had been a groove added to the plate and I did not want to transform either of them. At about that time the Dart became available so I decided that a second Dart would receive my attention. Initially I hand polished the Dart to a reasonable lustre. Then I had this brilliant idea, I’d put a polishing wheel in my trusted Dremel and with a bit of polish try that. Ten minutes, maybe a bit longer and I had a truly transformed razor that I’m proud of. The Dart is a less expensive stainless steel creation machined by Blackland to compliment their already well known Blackbird range. Darts are machined to a budget to be positioned in the market in the under $100US sector, stacking up well against its competition and not lacking anything.

There has been some negative criticism of the handle from various sectors but I quite liked the feel and look of it. Grip was never a problem and I must say that those longitudinal handle grooves that are popular with various manufacturers really perform when it comes to providing a secure grip. With the Astra blade I felt the Dart was not performing as good as it could and how right I was when I fitted the Feather blade. A totally different experience; the efficiency was similar to the Karve CB #C plate and very smooth. This is another very good razor.

Blades Used – Astra Superior Platinum & Feather

Material – 303 Stainless Steel - Polished

Weight – 99g

Head Width – 43mm

Handle Length – 90mm

Handle Diameter – 11mm

Final Word – It may be manufactured to a budget but this razor performs.

With the Astra blade I felt the Dart was not performing as good as it could and how right I was when I fitted the Feather blade. A totally different experience; the efficiency was similar to the Karve CB #C plate and very smooth. This is another very good razor.

Strongly agree, with sufficient skill in technique the Dart is an excellent shaver. Most of the reports in relation to the smoothness of the shave I suspect (like many razors) are the result of novice users, or lack of technique adaptation when migrating/using a new razor. I generally only use Feathers, however the KAi, Gillette Rubie and Gillette Red blades also perform very well.

I replaced the handle on my dart mainly for aesthetic reasons, not caring for the native handle design from a purely visual perspective, I prefer thicker handles on my razors fwith the supplied handle on the dart being no impediment to it delivering a smooth and very efficient shave.

Blackland Dart - Polished (USA)

screen capture program

This Dart is not a Blackland polished Dart but one finished by @Errol. To satisfy my desire to polish a stainless steel razor I initially purchase a second Feather AS-D2 but was advised against that exercise because the Feather is made from stainless steel and then plated. This plating must be removed before a polish job can be done, forget that exercise. Next I’d try to polish a Razorock Game Changer but by the time I’d acquired my second razor there had been a groove added to the plate and I did not want to transform either of them. At about that time the Dart became available so I decided that a second Dart would receive my attention. Initially I hand polished the Dart to a reasonable lustre. Then I had this brilliant idea, I’d put a polishing wheel in my trusted Dremel and with a bit of polish try that. Ten minutes, maybe a bit longer and I had a truly transformed razor that I’m proud of. The Dart is a less expensive stainless steel creation machined by Blackland to compliment their already well known Blackbird range. Darts are machined to a budget to be positioned in the market in the under $100US sector, stacking up well against its competition and not lacking anything.

There has been some negative criticism of the handle from various sectors but I quite liked the feel and look of it. Grip was never a problem and I must say that those longitudinal handle grooves that are popular with various manufacturers really perform when it comes to providing a secure grip. With the Astra blade I felt the Dart was not performing as good as it could and how right I was when I fitted the Feather blade. A totally different experience; the efficiency was similar to the Karve CB #C plate and very smooth. This is another very good razor.

Blades Used – Astra Superior Platinum & Feather

Material – 303 Stainless Steel - Polished

Weight – 99g

Head Width – 43mm

Handle Length – 90mm

Handle Diameter – 11mm

Final Word – It may be manufactured to a budget but this razor performs.
Woo hoo a DE that I actually own :) Excellent review as always @Errol (y)

Received today - If anyone has been holding back

Greetings shaving enthusiast,

Good news! So far, 55 people have registered to purchase the Ti RS-10.

You are receiving this email because you signed up to be one of the exclusive 100 people that will have the limited edition Titanium RS-10 DE Razor. This is the RS-10, our gold standard for a safety razor, enhanced with titanium for an even more pleasurable and smooth shaving experience.

In order for us to enter production, 50 people minimum must submit a deposit totaling 50% of the razor’s final cost. Deposit is $275 and production will take approximately 10-12 weeks. You will receive a PayPal invoice in a separate email within the next few days.

After production is finished, you will be asked to pay the remaining balance. The razor will then be shipped to you free of shipping charges as long as you live in the USA. International shipping is $45.

Please Note: If not all 50 people submit the deposit within 10 days, and you do pay the deposit, you will receive a full refund of your deposit within 10-15 days.

Production will not exceed 100 units and each razor will be numbered.

Thank you for being a pioneer and helping shaving reach a new pinnacle,

Avi at Raw Shaving

This is the RS-10, our gold standard for a safety razor, enhanced with titanium for an even more pleasurable and smooth shaving experience.
So has Ali from your feedback made corrections to the Ti RS-10 in respect to the efficacy & smoothness? As this is a concern that I carry from your feedback and highlighted again recently by 6S & 6C uses going from steel to a lighter material.

So has Ali from your feedback made corrections to the Ti RS-10 in respect to the efficacy & smoothness? As this is a concern that I carry from your feedback and highlighted again recently by 6S & 6C uses going from steel to a lighter material.

Nothing heard. The mild plate is simply brilliant and any concern is for the agressive plate.

Ikon B1 Slant (USA)

The Ikon B1 Slant has for a long time been one of my favourite razors. When it comes to shaving I have now found a number of razors that are its equal but very few that are better. This particular razor is a recent re-release and I’m interested to see if there have been any changes and to check if it’s as good as the old girl. It was available as a head only so I chose an Icon 85mm matt bulldog handle to set it off. B1 denotes the coating Ikon has applied to the stainless steel head; it is a very deep gleaming black and it supposedly has lubricating properties for a smoother shave. Unfortunately the B1 finish applied to the base plate has not taken properly on the ends and instead of being a deep black, the colouring is a dark shade of purple.

First stroke and this is not the Ikon B1 I thought I remembered; this one is much less efficient at about Karve CB #C plate level. The original B1 slant had a bit of a reputation as an aggressive razor and this one is far from aggressive. Only one thing to do, bring out the original B1 for the second shave and see that I’m not suffering memory loss. Same Lord Platinum blade fitted – the original B1 felt exactly the same to shave with as the re-release. You’d think that after using my original Ikon B2 Slant during the one razor, one blade challenge last February I’d remember how it shaved. A super smooth shave at the same level of efficiency continued with the Silver Blue blade.

In the past I’ve been guilty of calling the Ikon B1 Slant ugly but I’ve had a change of heart; it’s a long way from being pretty but it’s just big, black and severely twisted. The head is large and the wrap around leading edges on the plate add to that feeling of extra mass; then they go and curl the head making everything appear larger again. This extra size of the head is noticeable under the nose but it’s a problem I can live with. With my re-release being the psychedelic black and purple I can tell the two B1’s Slants apart but the re-release Ikon B1 Slant still meets my expectations remaining one of my all time favourite razors.

Blades Used – Lord Platinum & Gillette Silver Blue

Material – Stainless Steel head, B1 finish, stainless steel handle.

Weight – 110g

Head Width – 43.6mm

Handle Length – 85mm

Handle Diameter – 13.1mm

Final Word – Remains a favourite

Ikon B1 Slant (USA)

The Ikon B1 Slant has for a long time been one of my favourite razors. When it comes to shaving I have now found a number of razors that are its equal but very few that are better. This particular razor is a recent re-release and I’m interested to see if there have been any changes and to check if it’s as good as the old girl. It was available as a head only so I chose an Icon 85mm matt bulldog handle to set it off. B1 denotes the coating Ikon has applied to the stainless steel head; it is a very deep gleaming black and it supposedly has lubricating properties for a smoother shave. Unfortunately the B1 finish applied to the base plate has not taken properly on the ends and instead of being a deep black, the colouring is a dark shade of purple.

First stroke and this is not the Ikon B1 I thought I remembered; this one is much less efficient at about Karve CB #C plate level. The original B1 slant had a bit of a reputation as an aggressive razor and this one is far from aggressive. Only one thing to do, bring out the original B1 for the second shave and see that I’m not suffering memory loss. Same Lord Platinum blade fitted – the original B1 felt exactly the same to shave with as the re-release. You’d think that after using my original Ikon B2 Slant during the one razor, one blade challenge last February I’d remember how it shaved. A super smooth shave at the same level of efficiency continued with the Silver Blue blade.

In the past I’ve been guilty of calling the Ikon B1 Slant ugly but I’ve had a change of heart; it’s a long way from being pretty but it’s just big, black and severely twisted. The head is large and the wrap around leading edges on the plate add to that feeling of extra mass; then they go and curl the head making everything appear larger again. This extra size of the head is noticeable under the nose but it’s a problem I can live with. With my re-release being the psychedelic black and purple I can tell the two B1’s Slants apart but the re-release Ikon B1 Slant still meets my expectations remaining one of my all time favourite razors.

Blades Used – Lord Platinum & Gillette Silver Blue

Material – Stainless Steel head, B1 finish, stainless steel handle.

Weight – 110g

Head Width – 43.6mm

Handle Length – 85mm

Handle Diameter – 13.1mm

Final Word – Remains a favourite

@Errol does the Ikon B1 Slant shave the same as the Ikon X3 Slant? have you done both compare review? otherwise, this would be very interesting.

Anyway great review on the Ikon B1 Slant

Above The Tie Atlas R2 (USA)

Like most of you I was bombarded with all sorts of offers during the November Black Friday sales last year. Fortunately I was able to dismiss most of these bargains but there was one that took my eye; 50% off from Above The Tie. I took advantage of the offer to get myself an ATT R2 Atlas razor. It’s now come to light that that sale was a final fling for the M1/ M2, R1/ R2, H1/ H2 range of razors as we know them and they have now been discontinued. What was the M1/ M2, R1/ R2, H1/ H2 range has been migrated into the Windsor range as the satin stainless range. The open comb head on the ATT R2 is a machine finished stainless steel and in the right light, tooling marks are evident but these marks are not deep or offensive just proving that the head was machined. The Atlas handle is a short stainless steel handle with spiralled grooves curling up the working surface. For the first couple of shaves the Atlas handle felt like it was going to spin between the fingers; it never did but I had an uneasy feeling that it was going to. Thankfully after the first shaves I had full confidence the handle was not going to spin and I just got on with the shave.

It’s been probably two years since I have used an Above The Tie razor and that would have been an R1, safety bar head razor. Shave efficiency was still the Karve CB #C plate level I remember but with the Muhle blade inserted the ATT R2 was not the smoothest around and I tend to blame the performance of the blade. With the PolSilver blade fitted magic things did happen; the shave was one hell of a lot smoother and while the efficiency remained the same, the razor was much more effective.

A quick look at the ATT web site reveals modifications to what was the M1/ M2, R1/ R2, H1/ H2 range of razors. To achieve the satin finish some sort of bead/ sand blasting must have been employed thus eliminating the machine finish, a series of round holes (Windsor style) replaces the elongated slots in the plate and the length of the head has now been increased to cover the blade. You can bet that there will have been other fiddling with the geometry to bring the range up to a standard to compete with the opposition on an even footing.

Blades Used – Muhle & Polsilver Super Iridium

Material – 303 Stainless Steel – Machine finish

Weight – 102g

Head Width – 41.4mm

Handle Length – 76.5mm

Handle Diameter – 12.7mm

Final Word – An honest performer

The End of the RAW Ti RS-10

Hello everyone,

I would like to update you on the status of the Titanium RS-10. We have 55 people registered for the pre-order of the Ti RS-10 razor, and as you are likely aware, we sent a PayPal invoice to receive 50% deposit on the order before we can start production.

Unfortunately, as of now we have only received deposits from 12 of the 55 people who registered. For those who made their deposits, I want to thank you for being true Gentlemen by doing your part of the deal. I really appreciate your support.

However, based on what I described above, we will not be able to go into production on the Ti RS-10 as we did not meet the minimum orders. Anyone who has already made their deposit will receive full PayPal refund in the next day.

I want to apologize for not being able to make the Ti RS-10 razor. We are disappointed, but also very grateful for those of you who did your part. Thank you again for the support.

- Avi at Raw Shaving

MK Grant & Sons Co Workingman’s Razor

While reading one of those midnight ebay propaganda lists sent out daily (while on WR2 patrol) this razor kept jumping out at me night after night. Supposedly made of stainless steel and all for $35.00, including postage from an Australian vendor; worth a look? I sent a message to the vendor to ask if the razor was made in China. He advised it wasn’t but never volunteered where it was manufactured so I’m still none the wiser as I wasn’t prepared to ask again. The razor dually arrived and included two packets of Gillette Wilkinson blades and with a postage cost of $8.30 it does not allow for much of a profit margin on the sale I would think. The handle appears to be stainless steel but I would not leave it in a wet environment for too long. There is good grip from the fine pressed knurling and while a bit flattened in one small section is not bad. There appears to be a lot of Weber influence in the design of the zamak head but if someone said it was styled from the DE89 I would not disagree either. The plating on the head is well done with no noticeable blemishes and even the manufacturer’s logo has been nicely applied.

I worked on the idea that if the supplier has included Gillette Wilkinson blades they are tried and tested in this razor. I was not surprised when this razor provided a comfortable shave at a level just above Karve CB #B plate efficiency with the Gillette Wilkinson blades. With the Gillette Silver Blue blade inserted the feeling remained the same as with the Gillette Wilkinson blade. It may not have been the closest shave ever but it was pretty good just the same. This razor inspires confidence and never feels like it is ever going to bite or do anything wrong; I really enjoyed using the MK Grant. For the cost this is a good razor and one that could be kept in mind next time you’re suggesting a razor for a beginner.

Blades Used – Gillette Wilkinson & Gillette Silver Blue

Material – Stainless Steel Handle & Zamak Head

Weight – 96g

Head Width – 41.7mm

Handle Length – 96.4mm

Handle Diameter – 11.4mm

Final Word – Great starter

Military Industries “Catterick”

fallout new vegas owb

screen shot download

One look at the web site should be enough to demonstrate that this razor is not aimed at the serious wet shaver. It is aimed squarely at the ‘Would be Rambo’ who wants to show how much of a man he is by using a razor just like he thinks Sly would use, but I still bought not one but two. “Safety Razor in Surgical Grade Stainless Steel” the advertising blurb reads. Well the handle may be stainless steel but the safety bar head would be the worst example of cast moulded head on a razor that I’ve ever seen. The cast metal appears to be of an aluminium base rather than zamak; I’m really not sure what the metal it is though. The back of the plate is not flat, its edges are bowed and anything but straight and there are sharp moulding protrusions present on the edge that could cut. On top of that the plating is nonexistent in places and where there is plating, it’s blotchy. Really there has been a total lack of any quality control in the assembly of this razor. I generally like to see a manufacturers logo on a razor but the size of the ‘Would be Rambo’ displayed ‘MIL’ on the cap is a bit over the top.

After that lead in I must have suicidal tendencies to try this razor but ever the trooper I’m pushing on. At least the edges of the cap are straight so the blade might be secure. Then when I fitted the blade I found that the exposed piece of the blade is not parallel to the cap and this cannot be adjusted out; it’s not far out but noticeable. My face is not pretty, but I like it the way it is. No shave with this one. I’m going to display this razor as example of what razors should not be.

Material – Stainless Steel Handle & Cast Head

Weight – 129g

Head Width – 41.3mm

Handle Length – 98.2mm

Handle Diameter – 14.5mm

Final Word – Absolute Crap

Military Industries “Hereford”

This open comb razor is out of the same stable as last week’s razor but looks passable as far as quality goes. Allowing that the faults may have been camouflaged under a coat of flat black paint everything appears straight and square like one would expect from a razor. The handle is probably stainless steel and has a fine knurl that provides a great grip. Unlike the Catterick this head appears to be made from zamak but while screwing down the handle I could feel that the material in the thread on the cap is very soft, therefore I have doubts re the longevity of the head. While the head looks to have been painted the handle has had a dark coating of some description applied. My old ‘Would be Rambo’ mate is going to have dribble running down his chin and go weak at the knees over the size of the silver MIL applied to the cap on this one.

You can be sure that I gave this razor more than a casual look when I put the blade in. I’m pleased to advise that everything was square and everything screwed down nicely. Poor old ‘Would be Rambo’ is going to think his throat is cut from ear to ear when he starts shaving with the Hereford. This razor is aggressive, no other word for it; in excess of the Karve CB #D plate. I wasn’t expecting this level of aggressiveness so received a couple of weepers on the first shave. A little bit less pressure on subsequent shaves resulted in very close shaves without any blood loss. I found the Hereford to be smooth and very usable but defiantly not at a novice level. Soft material used in the head and a lack of quality assurance in its sister razor prevent me from recommending the Hereford to anyone but I have to admit that I enjoyed using this razor. One reason being the nice feel of the teeth of the comb on the face as it does not have that square teeth feel of machined OC razors.

Blades Used – Gillette Nacet & Leaf Super + Platinum

Material – Stainless Steel Handle & Cast Head

Weight – 127g

Head Width – 41mm

Handle Length – 98mm

Handle Diameter – 14.6mm

Final Word – Leave this one for Rambo