Weekly Razor Review

Razorock Mamba (Canada)

Razorock have been making a habit of manufacturing quality razors at an affordable price and this Mamba model released earlier in 2018 is yet another example of the Razorock philosophy. Manufactured from stainless steel the Mamba is machine polished to a very presentable finish. To their credit Razorock have engraved a serial number on each razor; it has about nine or ten digits in length so any bragging rights about having a low number is out the door. An advertised blade gap of 0-53mm suggests that this will be a mild shave. I had not previously used a Halo handle but any doubts I had were soon forgotten as the handle provided a very good grip.

Loaded with a Kai blade the shave was on about par with a Karve CB #B plate level of efficiency however there was a rapid descent in efficiency with the Lord Super Chrome blade fitted. The Lord Super Chrome blade took the Mamba from a razor that I could quite happily use daily to one I was quite happy to pack up and store away. At all times the shave was smooth and comfortable however this is one razor where you need to choose the blade you fit very carefully.

Blades Used – Kai & Lord Super Chrome

Material – 316L Stainless Steel - Polished

Weight – 96g

Head Width – 43mm

Handle Length – 90.5mm

Handle Diameter – 12mm

Final Word – Bring on the more efficient Mamba 70

Razorock Mamba (Canada)

Razorock have been making a habit of manufacturing quality razors at an affordable price and this Mamba model released earlier in 2018 is yet another example of the Razorock philosophy. Manufactured from stainless steel the Mamba is machine polished to a very presentable finish. To their credit Razorock have engraved a serial number on each razor; it has about nine or ten digits in length so any bragging rights about having a low number is out the door. An advertised blade gap of 0-53mm suggests that this will be a mild shave. I had not previously used a Halo handle but any doubts I had were soon forgotten as the handle provided a very good grip.

Loaded with a Kai blade the shave was on about par with a Karve CB #B plate level of efficiency however there was a rapid descent in efficiency with the Lord Super Chrome blade fitted. The Lord Super Chrome blade took the Mamba from a razor that I could quite happily use daily to one I was quite happy to pack up and store away. At all times the shave was smooth and comfortable however this is one razor where you need to choose the blade you fit very carefully.

Weight – 96g

Head Width – 43mm

Handle Length – 90.5mm

Handle Diameter – 12mm

I enjoy your reviews Errol. Thanks.:)

Razorock Mamba (Canada)

Weight – 96g

Head Width – 43mm

Handle Length – 90.5mm

Handle Diameter – 12mm

Yes totally agree and great review, the blade choice on the Mamba is very important. I found it takes feathers beautifully so much to the point that is all I use with it now. However it chews through them.

Looking forward to a more efficient Mamba. But still keeping a smooth smooth ride.

Gillette Aristocrat 1951 USA)

Last week marked a very special week for me in a number of ways. 50 years ago, on 18 Feb 1969, I signed on for service in the Australian Army as a baby faced lad from south west Queensland. That night those who had just enlisted were herded onto an overnight train from Brisbane to Sydney. Next morning onto a bus headed to Wagga Wagga and Kapooka beckoned for 10 weeks of recruit training. Arriving at Kapooka just after dusk we were marched down to the recruit mess to the jeers of the established recruits for our first Army cooked meal. After the delights? of dinner we were advanced $5.00 from our first pay and paraded to the hairdresser at the canteen for a haircut. You could choose any style you liked as long as it was No 1 all over and the barber; complete with a striped apron, relieved each of us of $4.50 of our advance for the privilege. Laid out on our allotted beds were goodies such as army boots, old jungle greens and a bit of kit that the Green Machine dictated we desperately needed. Among that kit was a Gillette twist to open razor; don’t ask me the model but I seem to remember that it was engraved 1963. Before we were allowed to get to bed somewhere around midnight we were told to be on parade next morning at 5.30AM showered, shaved and ready to start training. That shave was my first ever shave, 20 Feb 1969, 50 years ago. I don’t remember anything about the shave but the supplied Gillette Blue was the blade of necessitated choice.

During the next 40 plus years, 25 of those in the green machine, I shaved just about every day with that very same razor I received on my first night at Kapooka. It went with me wherever I went and was used where ever I happened to be at the time. After the 40 years of continual use the old razor started to become just a wee bit rickety, hinges were enlarged and it was showing real signs of wear and tear. My wife never throws anything out so I’m still hoping that somewhere in our stored belongings is the old Gillette ready for me to rediscover. I couldn’t use the old Gillette razor for this special week so my correctly coded year of birth, W2 Gillette Aristocrat will have to perform the honors.

Looking nearly as good as it’s now owner after 67 years, the Aristocrat is in surprising fine condition; the gold plating is generally good and the mechanism operates flawlessly. For a twist to open razor, this Gillette feels quite heavy but in fact is still lighter than many current titanium razors and pared down to the bone stainless steel razors. What a delightful razor to use, well balanced, soo smoooooth, maneuverable and with efficiency approximating that of the Karve CB #B plate the Aristocrat provided a exceedingly close shave. If the old Army issue Gillette provided anywhere near as good a shave as the Aristocrat it is no wonder I used it exclusively for forty years.

While I was still in the Army I bought myself a spare Gillette razor that I think was identical to my original however when my eldest son started shaving dad gave him that spare. It is the only razor he’s ever owned and he’s been using it now for well over 30 years. Next time I catch up with him I’ll try and borrow it for a shave. To him it’s just a tool, just like my own Army issue razor was to me.

Blades Used – Gillette Nacet & Gillette 7 O’Clock Green

Weight – 66.3g

Head Width – 43.6mm

Handle Length – 75.5mm

Handle Diameter – 11.5mm

Final Word – Some fine things came out of 1951

Last week marked a very special week for me in a number of ways. 50 years ago, on 18 Feb 1969, I signed on for service in the Australian Army as a baby faced lad from south west Queensland. That night those who had just enlisted were herded onto an overnight train from Brisbane to Sydney. Next morning onto a bus headed to Wagga Wagga and Kapooka beckoned for 10 weeks of recruit training. Arriving at Kapooka just after dusk we were marched down to the recruit mess to the jeers of the established recruits for our first Army cooked meal. After the delights? of dinner we were advanced $5.00 from our first pay and paraded to the hairdresser at the canteen for a haircut. You could choose any style you liked as long as it was No 1 all over and the barber; complete with a striped apron, relieved each of us of $4.50 of our advance for the privilege. Laid out on our allotted beds were goodies such as army boots, old jungle greens and a bit of kit that the Green Machine dictated we desperately needed. Among that kit was a Gillette twist to open razor; don’t ask me the model but I seem to remember that it was engraved 1963. Before we were allowed to get to bed somewhere around midnight we were told to be on parade next morning at 5.30AM showered, shaved and ready to start training. That shave was my first ever shave, 20 Feb 1969, 50 years ago. I don’t remember anything about the shave but the supplied Gillette Blue was the blade of necessitated choice.

During the next 40 plus years, 25 of those in the green machine, I shaved just about every day with that very same razor I received on my first night at Kapooka. It went with me wherever I went and was used where ever I happened to be at the time. After the 40 years of continual use the old razor started to become just a wee bit rickety, hinges were enlarged and it was showing real signs of wear and tear. My wife never throws anything out so I’m still hoping that somewhere in our stored belongings is the old Gillette ready for me to rediscover. I couldn’t use the old Gillette razor for this special week so my correctly coded year of birth, W2 Gillette Aristocrat will have to perform the honors.

Looking nearly as good as it’s now owner after 67 years, the Aristocrat is in surprising fine condition; the gold plating is generally good and the mechanism operates flawlessly. For a twist to open razor, this Gillette feels quite heavy but in fact is still lighter than many current titanium razors and pared down to the bone stainless steel razors. What a delightful razor to use, well balanced, soo smoooooth, maneuverable and with efficiency approximating that of the Karve CB #B plate the Aristocrat provided a exceedingly close shave. If the old Army issue Gillette provided anywhere near as good a shave as the Aristocrat it is no wonder I used it exclusively for forty years.

While I was still in the Army I bought myself a spare Gillette razor that I think was identical to my original however when my eldest son started shaving dad gave him that spare. It is the only razor he’s ever owned and he’s been using it now for well over 30 years. Next time I catch up with him I’ll try and borrow it for a shave. To him it’s just a tool, just like my own Army issue razor was to me.

Weight – 66.3g

Head Width – 43.6mm

Handle Length – 75.5mm

Handle Diameter – 11.5mm

Sensational read and review.

Thanks for your time serving our community.

Weight – 66.3g

Head Width – 43.6mm

Handle Length – 75.5mm

Handle Diameter – 11.5mm

Errol,
Another topnotch review mate.
Thank you for the service that you have given our country.

Personna (British)

cute baby boy names 2016

I believe this Personna razor was manufacture in Britain sometime in the 1950’s, I think early 1950’s. This is one of those razors that I never set out to own; it just came in a package with another razor I wanted. It was not till I pulled the razor apart that the penny dropped as to what I was holding. I had for a long time, given the BBS-1 credit for being the first razor to employ the four posts on the cap to align and position the blades against the plate but here was a razor that 60 years earlier had employed exactly the same principle. Then the jaw dropped further when I looked at the edges of the pressed plate; would you believe here was a serrated edge as employed on the BBS-1. It just goes to show that the pioneering manufacturers had some very imaginative thinking and many innovations we think of as being original can be traced back to their beginnings somewhere in the distant past.

What the plate is made of I’m not sure but it is not magnetic but looks and feels heavy enough to be stainless so I’m calling it stainless steel. I would say the cap is aluminium and an aluminium handle is fitted so all up the overall weight of the Personna is very light. A feather weight razor with a short, thin handle was a bit foreign to me at first but it took no time to adjust and the results I received from this razor were nothing short of fantastic. Both blades produced a very mild and super smooth shaves about the efficiency of a Karve CB #B plate. Some mild razors seem to feel like you’ve not shaved at all but the Personna done an incredible job.

Material – Aluminium and Stainless Steel

Weight – 34g

Head Width – 42.8mm

Handle Length – 75mm

Handle Diameter – 9.4mm

Final Word – Wonderful, so mild yet so effective

exoctic girl names

Weight – 66.3g

Head Width – 43.6mm

Handle Length – 75.5mm

Handle Diameter – 11.5mm

Wow! I have that same exact Aristocrat! Pretty gold and knurling and it gives a fabulous shave!

Los Angeles Shaving Soap BBS-1 (Canada)

#286 of the now out of production BBS-1 razors. BBS-1 razors are renowned as one of the finest and best razor ever made with James from Wolfman Razors the artisan responsible for both the design and machining of this fine creation. The BBS-1 is instantly recognisable by the finely knurled handle with opposing swirls running the length of the handle and a unique head design (visually similar to the recently released Wolfman WR2). Unlike the majority of three piece razors, the blade is secured in position by four extensions at each corner of the cap mating into corresponding receptacles in the plate. Another distinctive feature of the plate is the wider than normal serrated edges. Other than the hole in the centre for the handle there are no other holes or slots in the plate. And while most razors display the serial number and related information on the back of the plate; the BBS-1 has this information engraved proudly on the blade side of the plate. Every possible mm2 of this stainless steel razor has been polished to the most immaculate mirror finish. How could you not like the look of a BBS-1?

It’s been some time since I’ve used the BBS-1 so I’d forgotten just how nice this razor performs. This razor produced a super smooth shave and was just on the higher side of mid efficiency producing a shave something in the vein of that delivered by the Karve CB #D plate. It would be rare to get a closer shave than that delivered by the BBS-1; in use this razor is just flawless. One thing to note here is that with a polished razor of the quality of the BBS-1, blades with wax coating transfers the wax to the mirror polished surfaces. I was horrified when I removed the Sputnik blade to see just how much gunk had built up especially on the plate side. The irony of all this is that I preferred the shave with the Sputnik blade; you can’t have it both ways. With so much going for it (except price and availability) it’s no wonder this razor is so revered by the wet shaving community.

Blades Used – Sputnik & Ladas

Material – 316 Stainless Steel - Polished

Weight – 118g

Head Width – 40mm

Handle Length – 90mm

Handle Diameter – 14.2mm

Final Word – Worthy of the praise heaped on it

Wolfman WR2 .95 – WRH7 Handle (Canada)

That this WR2 bears a definite family resemblance to the mighty BBS-1 razor is not just coincidence as the WR2 was born out of the ashes of the BBS-1. There were a lot of rumours floating around about what would replace the BBS-1 when it was announced that production would cease and the WR2 was the result. While the WR2 looks stunning in the photos it is not till you have the razor in your hands that the true workmanship behind the razor becomes fully apparent. My standard test on every razor of checking the quality of the threads on the handle and cap reveals ever so perfectly formed threads where the engagement is just so smooth and positive. Everything has been polished right down to the valleys between the diamonds on the knurling on the handle. On the blade side of the cap are two parallel lines; I would call them machining marks but they may be there by design. Because these lines are symmetrical and because it’s a Wolfman, I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt.

It’s probably a good thing that I’ve not been able to find a For Sale sign on the Wolfman Razors website because I’d have selected the 1.05mm as my choice. With the .95mm plate I found the efficiency to be spot on to my liking; I defiantly do not require any more efficiency. The efficiency is marginally below that delivered by the BBS-1 but still around the Karve CB #C - #D plate level. There is just a hint of blade feel and the razor is so smooth and comfortable in use. This razor is a real delight to use because of that little bit of blade feel, so much more feedback.

Blades Used – Kai & Ladas

Weight – 104g

Head Width – 41.6mm

Handle Length – 90mm

Handle Diameter – 12.8mm

Final Word – Quality

Wolfman WR2 .95 – WRH7 Handle (Canada)

That this WR2 bears a definite family resemblance to the mighty BBS-1 razor is not just coincidence as the WR2 was born out of the ashes of the BBS-1. There were a lot of rumours floating around about what would replace the BBS-1 when it was announced that production would cease and the WR2 was the result. While the WR2 looks stunning in the photos it is not till you have the razor in your hands that the true workmanship behind the razor becomes fully apparent. My standard test on every razor of checking the quality of the threads on the handle and cap reveals ever so perfectly formed threads where the engagement is just so smooth and positive. Everything has been polished right down to the valleys between the diamonds on the knurling on the handle. On the blade side of the cap are two parallel lines; I would call them machining marks but they may be there by design. Because these lines are symmetrical and because it’s a Wolfman, I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt.

It’s probably a good thing that I’ve not been able to find a For Sale sign on the Wolfman Razors website because I’d have selected the 1.05mm as my choice. With the .95mm plate I found the efficiency to be spot on to my liking; I defiantly do not require any more efficiency. The efficiency is marginally below that delivered by the BBS-1 but still around the Karve CB #C - #D plate level. There is just a hint of blade feel and the razor is so smooth and comfortable in use. This razor is a real delight to use because of that little bit of blade feel, so much more feedback.

Blades Used – Kai & Ladas

Weight – 104g

Head Width – 41.6mm

Handle Length – 90mm

Handle Diameter – 12.8mm

Final Word – Quality

What a stunner.
Is that a nylon washer between the handle and plate.

What a stunner.
Is that a nylon washer between the handle and plate.

@Nico, That nylon washer was there when I bought the razor and I thought it a brilliant idea to stop scratching on the end of the handle and the plate. The back of the WR2 plate is actually recessed so the washer is a neat fit in that recess. When I next get to civilisation I’m going to buy a fist full of 5mm nylon washers for the top shelf razors. Probably not required on the lesser ones but great for the top shelf razors.

@Errol

Raw shaving rs 10 vs wolfman wr2.

??

@Rami. There is not much in it. The RS-10 is super smooth and the WR2 has a hint of blade feel. Take your pick. I actually preferred the WR2 to the BBS-1 but again there is nothing in it.

@Nico, That nylon washer was there when I bought the razor and I thought it a brilliant idea to stop scratching on the end of the handle and the plate. The back of the WR2 plate is actually recessed so the washer is a neat fit in that recess. When I next get to civilisation I’m going to buy a fist full of 5mm nylon washers for the top shelf razors. Probably not required on the lesser ones but great for the top shelf razors.

@Rami. There is not much in it. The RS-10 is super smooth and the WR2 has a hint of blade feel. Take your pick. I actually preferred the WR2 to the BBS-1 but again there is nothing in it.

Well, I already made my choice. But I wouldn’t be in a rush to hunt for a wolfie

Thanks for another great review @Errol (y)

It's really interesting, that when it comes to "lesser" razors, there are so many different opinions - likes and dislikes.

But when it comes to the masterpieces many many more agree - those who come from efficient razors and those who prefer smooth...

@Rami you are of course right...but it is still fascinating to see, that people who prefer different Karve plates, different settings their FB/Slim/Progress etc different ATT plates and yet they all then come together and love the same creation by Mr Dafour...just fascinating

@alfredus
That is all true.

It actually makes me think,

Would there be a hypothetical ideal razor?

If you continue the trend ( a razor with appeal to more and more people); what would it’s qualities be I wonder?