Weekly Razor Review

Above The Tie Classic R1 With Stork Handle (USA)

Final Word – A great razor

Thank you for your review! Considering an ATT razor and/or the Blackbird ... something about razor acquisition syndrome. How does it compare with the Timeless or the Rockwell 6S in terms of aggressiveness and efficiency? I find the Rockwell 6S R3 plate too mild and sometimes encourages bad behaviour with buffing or pressure ; the Timeless 0.95 SB somewhat a little too aggressive. Haven't quite taken to the R4 on the Rockwell as by then I reach for the Timeless 0.65

Something 'as safe' as the Timeless 0.65 but a little closer might be what I'm looking for.

Thank you for your review! Considering an ATT razor and/or the Blackbird ... something about razor acquisition syndrome. How does it compare with the Timeless or the Rockwell 6S in terms of aggressiveness and efficiency? I find the Rockwell 6S R3 plate too mild and sometimes encourages bad behaviour with buffing or pressure ; the Timeless 0.95 SB somewhat a little too aggressive. Haven't quite taken to the R4 on the Rockwell as by then I reach for the Timeless 0.65

Something 'as safe' as the Timeless 0.65 but a little closer might be what I'm looking for.

You have a bit of a convoluted question here. The ATT H1, Blackbird and the Timeless .95 are very similar in efficiency, I haven’t used the 6S #6 plate but estimate it to be slightly less efficient than the H1. Below the 6S #6 plate would be the ATT R1 and slightly below the that the Timeless .68. All are good razors and there are a multitude of choices in the options you select especially in the ATT and Timeless ranges. Machined, satin and polished finishes not to mention handle options are all available.

The ATT R1 may be the razor you’re looking for.

Carbon Shaving Model Cx (USA)

After a few early communication glitches, Carbon Shaving came back with “you live in Australia”. It seems to have surprised them that one of their first razor sales would be international and they would have to ship a razor to Australia. Trust you Errol to upset the cart. Carbon Shaving is a new razor manufacturer for this year. Their goal “We think the real prize is converting disposable shavers to DE shavers... We think that trend will continue, especially with the global plastic problem... the “pie” will grow”........ I may be dumb but trying to convert a disposable shaver user with the finest razor????

The Carbon Cx is premium priced to compete in the market certainly below the Wolfman but definitely in the same price bracket as the polished Blackbirds and the Timeless stainless steel ranges. If Carbon wants to sell the Cx, it must be at least as good as these razors in all aspects and ideally better in some areas. Sadly the Carbon Cx has missed the boat:

• With such a distinctive handle you would think this would be the first thing your eye would pick up as you unpacked the razor. Not this time, the first thing I noticed was what looked like a smudge about 6mm x 3mm in the polished area right near the centre of the cap. Immediately I tried to rub the smudge off with a handkerchief, no go, it’s permanent in the polish.
  • When the cap was rolled over the underside had virtually not been polished at all. Machine marks everywhere.
  • In the light there are what look like pieces of hair on the polished surfaces, probably averaging about 6mm in length. Carbon’s own advertising warns “High Polished Finish – Some machine marks are visible. Some scratches also exist. These can be seen under the cap, on critical dimensions and when magnified.” There are no highly polished scratches under the cap, the polisher missed polishing that bit on mine. I use glasses for reading but the scratches I see are with the naked eye.
  • My standard test is the quality of the thread engagement between the handle and the cap. In a premium product I expect nothing less than perfection in this area. The thread locks down positively but it is in no way smooth; it’s floppy and feels very raspy.
As soon as images of the Cx razor are viewed, the eye immediately falls onto the detail/ maybe lack of detail on that handle. Unique and styled differently to most, the handle looks ungainly but I have a gut feeling that in practice the handle will be a really good workhorse. The four lather slots in the plate are unique being broad triangular in shape. The blade is positioned on elongated posts and there is a small amount of blade protrusion at the end of the blade, all very standard.

I must commend Carbon on one thing. They have not started with a virtually useless mild efficiency level razor; instead they have came out running with a razor in the Karve CB #D plate level of efficiency. Having said that, the supplied Astra SP were down in efficiency to about #C plate level but still very usable. Smooth, so smooth is the shave that it really surprised me for a razor with this level of that efficiency. Carbon got that bit right. As I expected, the handle was really good to use, no complaints there either. The finish on this razor is well below the standard expected for razors one quarter the price of the Cx, therefore the Cx is grossly overpriced. Already I’m seeing discounting of the Cx and this is not doing themselves any favours in my opinion.

Sitting up in the stand that ‘smudge on the cap’ is annoying the hell out of me. Out with the metal polish and a cloth. Well I got rid of the smudge and I got rid of the hair lines, but, because I was working up close I put my glasses on, now I can see all the machining marks on both sides of the plate albeit three quarter polished over that I had missed previously. I put a spot of rod oil on the thread and that certainly freed the thread engagement up but of course the head still flops around till it locks down. I feel like I’ve been sold a reject from the seconds bin; I pay for quality I expect quality. Carbon has a superbly designed razor but they are doomed unless their manufacturing quality is markedly improved, they invest more money to come up with a polishing solution that removes all marks and strict Quality Control is implemented.

Blades Used – Sputnik and Astra Superior Platinum

Material – 316 Stainless Steel

Weight – 92g

Head Width – 40.71mm

Handle Length – 91.5mm

Handle Diameter – 13mm

Availability – Carbon Shaving

Final Word – An insult

Just out of curiosity: have you tried to contact them @Errol?

I have been in contact with Sean from Carbon all along. I advised Sean that I was not pleased with the finish on the razor the day I received the Cx. I advised him I was going to write a review and would post him the link. Yesterday, as soon as the review was posted I sent him the link. He replied that he was sorry and asked if I wanted to return the razor. At this time I don’t know what I want to do. Carbon have been good to deal with.

Tradere OC (USA)

‘Tradere’ Latin - to pass on to posterity. Tradere was one of the pioneering boutique companies to machine razors from solid stainless steel. It has been claimed that 60/80% of the material used in the production of the Tradere razors was recycled material and that the number of Tradere OC razors manufactured is believed to be around the 1,100 mark. My Tradere OC is one of the early Generation 1 OC razors and comes with one of the very collectable Pelican style hard plastic cases. Tradere razors feature their distinctive handle design with fine knurling and the flared end. By current thinking the handle is quite long and thin but at the time it was cutting edge and I, for one, admit to being a fan of the design. Another feature the Tradere is known for is the extensions on each end of the cap to fully encapsulate the ends of the blade. Of course this makes the head wider but in use it is barely noticeable. The razor is polished to a very high standard and I must commend Tradere for engraving the serial number of the razor onto each plate.

Loaded with the Astra the Tradere OC was very aggressive and way in excess of the Karve CB #D plate efficiency. Blade feel was quit pronounced but to its credit the shave was reasonably smooth. With the Kai blade fitted the razor felt more controlled and the good thing was that some of the blade feel appeared to fade away. The feeling of aggression in the Tradere OC is far in excess of what I enjoy in my shave. It has been my privilege to have been able to sample this razor but I doubt I will ever use it again.

Blades Used – Astra SP & Kai

Material – Stainless Steel - Polished

Weight – 121.3g

Head Width – 47.3mm

Handle Length – 95.6mm

Handle Diameter – 11.5mm

Availability – Out of production

Final Word – Too savage for me

Another fantastic review @Errol (y)

Very interesting to see the difference between the SB version, which is very mild.

I wonder if they got it right in their later generation OC's....

I’ve been keeping my eye out for the second generation Tradere. One will pop up somewhere at a respectable price. I believe they are milder than the first generation though. If anyone has a second generation Tradere OC for sale I will be very interested to hear from you.

Weber (USA)

Weber, what a great name for a razor; someone with my family name who manufactured razors and added their name to the product. They’ve got to be good; not that I’m biased or anything; not much, I’m not? When I first learned of Weber Razors my plan was to give each of my sons a Weber razor but my counting went astray somewhere and I have most of the grandsons covered now with a Weber razor also. Manufacture of complete Weber razors has ceased but their handles are readily available. For this review I’m going to use the first Weber I ever purchased and one that has certainly been tried and tested by me. This Weber razor is a polished stainless steel version and is fitted with a 3” bulldog style handle. I cannot detect any warping of the plate, a fault that is believed to have contributed to the demise of the Weber razor.

This is a lovely little razor to use, super smooth, efficient and confidence inspiring. The level of efficiency is on par with the Karve CB #C plate and it’s one of those razors you could just continue using forever; it really would make a really great daily driver. There seemed to be very little difference between the performances of blades in the razor, it just gets on with the job at hand. Well worthy of the Weber name.

Blades Used – Gillette 7 O’Clock Green & PolSilver

Material – Stainless Steel

Weight – 99.5g

Head Width – 41.5mm

Handle Length – 79.2mm

Handle Diameter – 13.2mm

Weber (USA)

Weber, what a great name for a razor; someone with my family name who manufactured razors and added their name to the product. They’ve got to be good; not that I’m biased or anything; not much, I’m not? When I first learned of Weber Razors my plan was to give each of my sons a Weber razor but my counting went astray somewhere and I have most of the grandsons covered now with a Weber razor also. Manufacture of complete Weber razors has ceased but their handles are readily available. For this review I’m going to use the first Weber I ever purchased and one that has certainly been tried and tested by me. This Weber razor is a polished stainless steel version and is fitted with a 3” bulldog style handle. I cannot detect any warping of the plate, a fault that is believed to have contributed to the demise of the Weber razor.

This is a lovely little razor to use, super smooth, efficient and confidence inspiring. The level of efficiency is on par with the Karve CB #C plate and it’s one of those razors you could just continue using forever; it really would make a really great daily driver. There seemed to be very little difference between the performances of blades in the razor, it just gets on with the job at hand. Well worthy of the Weber name.

Blades Used – Gillette 7 O’Clock Green & PolSilver

Material – Stainless Steel

Weight – 99.5g

Head Width – 41.5mm

Handle Length – 79.2mm

Handle Diameter – 13.2mm

Ah the Weber; a simple beauty. Great reviews, keep them coming.
Just having my morning coffee while reading the SG strait times while on a break and it is always a benefit to read up on a few reviews again; wonderful reference.

Weber - Gun Kote & Jurgen Hempel Handle

I’m not usually one who generally changes razors too much from the way the manufacturer rolled them out of the factory door but when I saw a Weber head available for purchase that had been treated with Gun Kote, I lashed out and bought it. As the name Gun Kote suggests this protective finish was formulated for military use on weapons to provide a safeguard from the elements and it is also known for its lubricating properties. It is said to be very long wearing and once applied is permanent. I cannot see what is going to be achieved by applying Gun Kote to a stainless steel razor in terms of making it last longer but the stunning dark grey/ almost black finish is certainly something to behold. I then fitted this head to a Jergen Hempel titanium handle. I’ve not used this razor so I’m interested to see if there is any noticeable difference to the standard version.

As far as results go there is really not much difference to the polished Weber reviewed last week, the main variation being brought about by dynamics to the weight and length of the titanium handle. Again the shave was the very pleasant Karve CB #C plate level of efficiency. Forget all the rave last week about the Weber being a great razor because I share the same name, this razor should be held up as an example to all razor manufacturers as a start level of efficiency for their razor line up. After some time shaving with the Weber, it may simply become boring because the Weber’s delivery and smoothness is so predictable that the razor would need to be retired for a while but you will come back to the Weber, it’s so good.

An observation – I don’t know if this is as a result of the Gun Kote or sheer coincidence but for the four days I shaved with the Weber treated with Gun Kote I had a noticeable irritation on my neck in the afternoon after each shave that lasted for about five/ six hours. I’ve not felt any irritation before or in the few shaves since.

Blades Used – Gillette Platinum & Gillette Nacet

Material – Stainless Steel head – Titanium Handle

Weight – 80g

Head Width – 41.5mm

Handle Length – 92mm

Handle Diameter – 15mm

@Errol is it as good as an rs-10, I wonder?

Actually I would be keen to hear whenever you get something better than the rs. Cause I would have to try it and see for myself wouldn’t I?

@Errol is it as good as an rs-10, I wonder?

Actually I would be keen to hear whenever you get something better than the rs. Cause I would have to try it and see for myself wouldn’t I?

The Weber and the RS10 are from different periods of time. At its release the Weber would have been cutting edge but is still a very good razor. It is as nice to use as the RS10 but lacks the presentation of the RS10. If you can get your hands on a Weber I’m sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

@Errol

Well I am finding is that I am a one razor kind of guy. I pretty much just stick with the one until the next best thing comes along. Before I got the krave I had the mugress. When I grabbed other razors they had a very limited run and I stuck to my tried and true.

I am perfectly happy with the rs-10 at this stage and would need something exceptional to knock it off its stage.

Tradere SB (USA)

From the first time is saw a photo of a Tradere Razor I knew I wanted to own one and from that time the Tradere became my most sought out razor. This is the razor that inspired me and has proved to be quite a difficult razor to obtain. Eventually persistence paid off but just because I had to work hard to find this example doesn’t mean I had to race out and use it as soon as I had it in my hand. As with most of my reviews I’ve not previously used this Tradere. Movement and sales of this razor have slowed dramatically in recent times and it’s now rare to see one offered for sale or trade. Out of production since 2104, the total number of Tradere SB razors manufactured is believed to be around the 850 units. Again the Tradere is a very distinctive razor instantly recognisable by that famous pattern handle and the enclosed blade. For reasons unknown to me the handle length on the Tradere SB is marginally shorter than that on the Tradere OC razor. Enclosing the end of the blade was trendy at the time the Tradere was designed and this feature is also seen on other razors such as Ikon and Pils of the same era. Even with those blade extensions the head of the Tradere SB does not look to be overly thick. It has been written that the Tradere SB is less aggressive than either of the OC variants so I hope so.

What a pleasant surprise it was when I realised that the Tradere was machined to a level of efficiency comparable to the Karve CB, level #C plate. The Tradere is as smooth and comfortable to use as the best of the modern computer designed razors. I enjoyed my experience with the Tradere SB and will pack the Tradere away safe in the knowledge that my time searching for the Tradere has been time well spent. A true classic.

Triton R3 blade. Somehow in the box of blades I use, and I don’t remember where they came from, was a packet of Triton R3 blades. Because the Tradere SB worked so well with the Ladas blade I decided to try one of the Triton R3 blades as the second blade. No glue spot had me on side straight away but the true test was in the shave. After using only one blade I am of the opinion that the Triton R3 performed better in the Tradere than the Ladas, and that is a bit of a favoured blade. I’m keeping my eye open for more supplies.

Blades Used – Ladas and Triton R3

Material – Stainless Steel - Polished

Weight – 115g

Head Width – 47.8mm

Handle Length – 92mm

Handle Diameter – 11mm

Very glad you enjoy it @Errol (y)

It is a beautiful razor!

Updated top 5 to own mate?

TOP SHOTS

Premium – RAW Shaving RS-10; Wolfman WR2; Charcoal Goods Brass; Seygus Zepplin V2

Classic Premium - Gillette Aristocrat 1951; Weber; Tradere SB,

Really Good – Karve Christopher Bradley #D plate; Blackland Vector; Blackland Dart; Ikon B1 slant; ATT Classic/ Windsor R1/ H1; Colonial Razor General Stainless Steel; Razorock Game Changer #.84 plate

Best Travel – Colonial Razor General Stainless Steel