What blade should I use next?

Chappo

Hey folks,

I've been using the Astra SP with my Rockwell 6S (plate 4). It's pretty good, but I think I could get a closer shave. I'm still very new to DE and I can't go to plate 5 or 6 yet as they're too aggressive, so I think I could try a different blade. Here are the blades I have. Some I bought, some got thrown in with other purchases:

Voskhod
Feather
Euromax
Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow
Gillette Wilkinson Sword
Gillette Silver Blue
Polsilver
Gillette Nacet

Which do you think I should try next? Any I should discard? I know Feather is super sharp so I'll wait a bit before moving to those, but I'm unsure of the others.

Closest shave = Feather or a Gillette Nacet.
Hey folks,

I've been using the Astra SP with my Rockwell 6S (plate 4). It's pretty good, but I think I could get a closer shave. I'm still very new to DE and I can't go to plate 5 or 6 yet as they're too aggressive, so I think I could try a different blade. Here are the blades I have. Some I bought, some got thrown in with other purchases:

Voskhod
Feather
Euromax
Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow
Gillette Wilkinson Sword
Gillette Silver Blue
Polsilver
Gillette Nacet

Which do you think I should try next? Any I should discard? I know Feather is super sharp so I'll wait a bit before moving to those, but I'm unsure of the others.

Smoothest = Polsilver

They are all good blades, try them all and see what works best for you.

I've yet to try a blade that didn't work with the 6S as it shaves so smoothly with noticeable feedback.

I'd recommend the Nacets as they're sharp but still retain smoothness and pair really well with the 6S. I hear the Euromax works well in the 6S also so might be worth a try as from personal use I find they match the Astra Greens for performance but slightly more efficient. (y)

That 6S looks pretty nice. So the switchable plates change the blade gap?

Maybe try it in approximate order of blade sharpness. Feather at the very end, Polsilver/Silver Blue/Nacet before that, and next up the Voskhod/Yellow. I don't know if they've changed, but the Wilkie Sword and Euromax were not the world's best when I tried them yonks ago. Below the quality of the Astra that's already working.

Smoothest = Polsilver

They are all good blades, try them all and see what works best for you.

Stuff the bloody Feather in the trash can, Gillette Nacet are fantastic for the 6S using the R4 base plate they're super smooth and very comfortable close shave as YMMV, otherwise, used the Polsilver or Wizamet SI they're both the same blade in a different package made in the same factory in Russia... Keep mind the Polsilver 5 blade pack are stopping in production and they're restating the Wizamet SI 10 blade pack back into production.

Last edited:
Go straight to the Feather!
Seriously, a Feather is sharp...but so are all razor blades (well, apart from Bolzano 'paint scrapers').
If a Feather is going to cut you then so will all the others. If your technique is not right any of your blades will cut you...but a Feather has more 'style' while doing it.
GSB, Nacet, (and Rubie...you really should try them) are all good.
Wilkies? Not my favourite. But I don't like Voskhod or Polsilver all that much either (as usual YMMV).
Yeah, don't chicken out...Feather or GSB for the next shave.
You have a good soap? That helps a lot.
Edit: @SpeedyPC got me onto Nacet blades. Yeah, they are not bad. Nacet or GSB if you want to wait a while before a Feather shave.

Yeah, bloody foreigners coming in with their damn bugs.
Ooooooh. You poor Grumpy.

giphy.gif

@Chappo all good recommendations from experienced users but you want variety and to test for yourself, YMMV and all that, half the fun is in the journey.
Go straight to the Feather!
+1 for Feather it will boost your confidence, improve technique and if you get it right a true BBS shave without weepers or irritation.
You will probably find they tend to dull too quickly to keep as blade of choice but deliver a great 3 or 4 shaves before that.

Edit: @SpeedyPC got me onto Nacet blades. Yeah, they are not bad. Nacet or GSB if you want to wait a while before a Feather shave.
Same here. I love Nacets, they give me by far the closest and most comfortable shave. Haven't used a Feather in months, they're just sitting in a drawer. I didn't see any mention of Astra Blue (Super Stainless) in your list. Lots of people love them, me not so much. I have most of a pack of 100 that I'll never use. If anyone wants to pay postage, I'm happy to give them away.

No mention of Gillette 7 o'clock super platinum blacks made in India?

These are sharp, smoothe and my favorite blade. Top quality blade and No 1 in my den.

Where are those Gillette Stainless made? Out of the PPI factory in St Pete's or elsewhere?