What Did You Learn From Your Straight Razor Shave Today?

My latest str8 shaving discovery is the 14 stroke technique.
v6w85D2.png

After discovering this picture while trying to explain the different angles of the face I then considered if this is how Barber's are taught there must be some learnings in it for me.
So I researched the 14 stroke straight shaving technique through YouTube. The technique is for barbers so first thing I had to consider is the razor hold reversed (freehand becomes backhand) etc
After enough contemplation I started applying a slightly modified version and have been very happy with the results. The benefits so far have been:
1. Previously I struggled with the XTG from ear to chin (stroke 2 & 7) with non dominant left hand on RHS of face and edge would stick on a mole and cut. Doing the WTG (stroke 1 & 6) over sideburns and then the backhand XTG ear to chin has resolved the sticky mole issue.
2. I have started doing ATG on neck (5,13,10) stopping where the angle changes from neck to jaw. Going ATG means that I can stretch the chin up and put a hand on my chest if necessary to really stretch the skin
3. The only modification to the technique other than reversing hold is the lower lip and chin (11,14) I found XTG (11) with dominant hand difficult because lips and chin get in the way and still using WTG from tip of moustache down to chin

If I ever master ATG enough for Fools Pass and wicked honing skills to match then I will revisit ATG under lower lip because it was efficient but also got stuck in creases at side of mouth.

Its good to be constantly honing ones skills along with the razors
Happy Shaves P&C

Every so often, I specifically concentrate on one aspect while SR shaving. It could be shave angle, pressure, skin stretching, etc. What I have neglected was lather.

Over time, I think I may have been using a slightly drier and drier lather. This morning I concentrated on producing a far wetter lather than I have recently been using.

My suspicions were confirmed. Shaving with a far wetter lather than I have been recently using produced a much slicker shaving experience.

Every so often, I specifically concentrate on one aspect while SR shaving. It could be shave angle, pressure, skin stretching, etc. What I have neglected was lather.

Over time, I think I may have been using a slightly drier and drier lather. This morning I concentrated on producing a far wetter lather than I have recently been using.

My suspicions were confirmed. Shaving with a far wetter lather than I have been recently using produced a much slicker shaving experience.
This one is a no brainer, as a wise (questionable) man once said "All of life's pleasures require good lubrication (or a lack of friction)"

I usually begin my first pass by stretching the skin above my RHS sideburn area and doing the first stroke down past the year. To stretch the skin with my left hand you have to sort of put your hand and arm over your head, sort of like the position you see chimps doing. Most work mornings I am wearing my dressing gown as it's post shower and I have yet to get my clothes ready. The skin stretching position means that the lather on the bottom of my neck on the LHS invariably ends up on my dressing gown. The other night I watched a YouTube SR shave - I think the channel was called SR Shave with no Sound, or something like that. The guy started his shave by doing his neck. Lightbulb moment. On this morning's shave I did the bottom portion of my neck first with downward strokes - the grain there goes down, whilst ATG on the upper portion of my neck goes up.

Problem solved ! No more lather on my dressing gown or t-shirt!

It's only taken 420 something shaves to work this out.

cheers
Andrew

For years now, I have constantly had trouble getting the finish on my right-hand jawline to be as smooth as my left-hand jawline. This morning I think I have solved the problem. On both jawlines, the whisker growth pattern is horizontal from the chin outward.

The problem appears to be caused by a difference in shave angle on both sides. This morning I really concentrated on shaving with the flattest angle possible on my right jawline. The result was now the same as my left jawline. I will keep on working on this to seen if I can get consistent results.

It's the little things that matter the most.

For years now, I have constantly had trouble getting the finish on my right-hand jawline to be as smooth as my left-hand jawline. This morning I think I have solved the problem. On both jawlines, the whisker growth pattern is horizontal from the chin outward.

The problem appears to be caused by a difference in shave angle on both sides. This morning I really concentrated on shaving with the flattest angle possible on my right jawline. The result was now the same as my left jawline. I will keep on working on this to seen if I can get consistent results.

I have the exact same problem area. It's very frustrating. My last ten SR shaves I got it right twice. I am not giving up. My right hand is dominant and I need to shave the right side of my face and neck using my left hand. Eventually my left hand will learn what to do! I still get a two pass + touch up BBS shave but it lasts a couple of hours longer on the left side. This drives me crazy due to the fact that I suffer from OCD. 😁

I am right handed, I use both hands when shaving. I notice that I do a better job with my left hand in the difficult spots. I think it is because I have to think about it more and try harder.

This morning, there I was shaving away with gay abandon using my Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 modified to a French point shorty and dressed in figured European maple scales. Not a care in the word and thoroughly enjoying my Sunday shorty shave.

While shaving N-S on my right cheek, I felt an ever-so-slight pinprick. Thought nothing of it until I started seeing some red. I had given myself a small nick with the blade's sharp pointy toe.

Lesson learnt - concentrate!

Fortunately, no great damage was done and all clean up with the final rinse.

While shaving N-S on my right cheek, I felt an ever-so-slight pinprick. Thought nothing of it until I started seeing some red. I had given myself a small nick with the blade's sharp pointy toe.

Lesson learnt - concentrate!
You’ve probably noticed that most of my SR’s are Dutch points. I take mass quantities of prescription medication which occasionally causes my hands to tremble. Therefore, I tend to shy away from sharp pointy toes. 😢