What do you have in the post right now?

01/04 purchase
To be fair I did try to warn you and not blatantly fool you. Although had to be subtle and not too obvious. I just googled most expensive shaving brush and there it was.
TBH I would not buy because the guilt of where the ivory came from a bit like having an elephant foot umbrella stand.

Edit: As Mark mentioned not allowed through customs either.

To be fair I did try to warn you and not blatantly fool you. Although had to be subtle and not too obvious.

That is true - but at that time of day my 'April Fool' radar was switched off, and I'll admit you absolutely got me :)

I just googled most expensive shaving brush and there it was.

Funny how Google works - did the same and it didn't come up. I did an image search to find the thread linked to above

TBH I would not buy because the guilt of where the ivory came from a bit like having an elephant foot umbrella stand.

Edit: As Mark mentioned not allowed through customs either.

I was looking at an Gillette razor in an ivory case some time ago, same style as this one on Achim's site -

1921%20New%20Improved%20Tuckaway%20in%20elephant%20ivory%20case%20England.JPG

The rules on pre-CITES ivory were not as clearly spelt out on the Government's website at that point as they are now, so I had to do a lot of digging about. While it was clear to any razor collector that the ivory was pre-CITES you had to get it accessed as such and the outcome was not necessarily guaranteed AND not cheap.

I'd also seen a few shaving brushes on eBay back in the day with "ivory-like" handles (which were clearly ivory). These provoked considerable discussion with many people looking at the sales suggesting that you just import it and not declare it as ivory. Apart from the potential fines any confiscated materials are allegedly destroyed - a real waste.

There is no way that I want any more elephants killed for their ivory. I look at these pieces really as part of history, and a beautiful part of history - an elephant foot umbrella stand is just ugly!

yjEJqNo.jpg

(Photo lifted from the web)
Semogue Taj Mistura Boar/Badger mix from Oz Barber.

I've been looking for an excuse to purchase one of these beauties for a while. Yesterday I had my 20th and final day of radiation therapy for prostate cancer, so decided to give myself a little gift to celebrate. Now comes the wait for PSA levels to lower, which will be an ongoing journey for some time.
An excellent brush, Bernie. Well done in getting through 20 days of treatment; all the best for the journey ahead.

Wasn't me, I ended up scoring this beauty off GumTree with no bidding war.
Thought it was a Popular but could it be an Aristocrat?
The seller has already archived the thread so I can only access thumbnail pic.
If I recall correctly the case was same as above with some colouring on the inner square of the lid
bvLybAY.png

I would of had this badly listed Australian aristocrat set coming but I simply bumped someone's bid by double. Hope it wasn't anyone here. Still a bargain imo.. thought I had it.

Link for the curious?

Wasn't me, I ended up scoring this beauty off GumTree with no bidding war.
Thought it was a Popular but could it be an Aristocrat?
The seller has already archived the thread so I can only access thumbnail pic.
If I recall correctly the case was same as above with some colouring on the inner square of the lid
bvLybAY.png

I'd guess it was a popular looking at it

$530 worth of soap from connaught shaving, including 5 x 1kg bricks and 8 SV soaps plus a ton more!

Of course I can't have 12kg shipped so it all went to my sis in law in London who'll bring it to me later this year.

Also ordered 12 boar brushes and 1 horse from vintage scent...still my favorite vendor for semogue brushes!
Most of the boars are for giving as gifts/starter kits.

$530 worth of soap from connaught shaving, including 5 x 1kg bricks and 8 SV soaps plus a ton more!

Of course I can't have 12kg shipped so it all went to my sis in law in London who'll bring it to me later this year.

Also ordered 12 boar brushes and 1 horse from vintage scent...still my favorite vendor for semogue brushes!
Most of the boars are for giving as gifts/starter kits.

You actually can ship 12kg in one consolidated order.
https://planetexpress.com/

Are you going to store your Cella 5 x 1kg bricks in a freezer??? they'll go off pretty quick in the heat, if, you're still leaving in India?

Most of the bricks (cella and rasozero) will be split and given as part of starter kits.

I may keep 100g of each but that's about it.

I prefer triple milled soaps personally so tend not to buy soft soaps anymore.

You actually can ship 12kg in one consolidated order.
https://planetexpress.com/

Aside from the shipping cost, India has the added headache of import duties that can literally double the cost of the goods as the govt is in maximum ripoff mode!!

I'm happy to wait until Sept to get everything without the added headaches.

Most of the bricks (cella and rasozero) will be split and given as part of starter kits.

I may keep 100g of each but that's about it.

I prefer triple milled soaps personally so tend not to buy soft soaps anymore.

Aside from the shipping cost, India has the added headache of import duties that can literally double the cost of the goods as the govt is in maximum ripoff mode!!

I'm happy to wait until Sept to get everything without the added headaches.
You still have plenty of MWF in your den.

Oh yes, 8 pucks in total. I absolutely love the stuff!!

If I didn't want variety, I'd use MWF daily and be set for life!

But shaving soaps are the main aspect of the hobby for me so MWF is used every Sunday, SV every Saturday and all other soaps Mon-Fri.
You should be using the MWF every

Monday, Wednesday and Friday