Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I'm not sure how but I've ended up in a FB watch forum.

It is full of adverts like this -

I don't understand the process of people buying $20k watches and flipping them within a couple of days, a number get listed within a month of purchase.

What am I missing? It doesn't seem like collecting as I know it - is there a business model here?

I think it’s sort of a mass acquisition disorder among people in the community, it’s just a pissing contest-however for the most part folk can’t really afford to be doing it so there is a “catch and release” kind of mentality.

There is something vulgar about the number of people under 35 buying Rolex’s and the like lately.
Not to say that they can’t of cause but the people who I have known who have gone down that road tend to be the same who complain about how hard it is to buy their first house..

Last edited:
@Mark1966

Is there a business model?

there is. Most of these prices are over rrp. Rolex are restricting supply of popular models. So if you have a good relationship with a dealer it’s an easy way to make a few gran. The alternative is to wait a few years or the dealer may only sell to existing customers who bought other stuff too.

The red sea dweller is 14400 from Rolex so you can see the margin. Funny thing is, this is propably the only way to get it.

https://davidsw.com/?s=Sea+dweller&post_type=product

Last edited:
tend to be the same who complain about how hard it is to buy their first house..

Between the watches and the bloody Avocados it's impossible to get ahead!

That whole post is hard to understand and sounds like a scam lol. Did he just buy a Skydweller and now needs to sell his days old Seadweller? Or are they the same thing? Is the finance minister a reference to his partner or the actual finance minister. So confusing.

Thanks guys (esp @Rami). - this is clearly a whole new world.

I might just keep away for now ...

Thanks guys (esp @Rami). - this is clearly a whole new world.

I might just keep away for now ...
Don’t. There are things much nicer and cheaper than Rolex. Lookup WatchRecon app.

It’s nice jewellery but that’s all it is.

A few years ago I decided that I wanted to blow my bonus up for a birth year watch.

Couldn’t find anything within price range. People look to them as investments now.

Gotten a nice gmt instead.

To be honest lately I want a more flashy piece for occasional ware. I pretty much wear the gmt 24/7 except for yard work and fishing. A sky dweller at rrp would be the dream.

Or this
https://timeandtidewatches.com/hands-on-janus-faced-the-jaeger-lecoultre-reverso-tribute-moon/

At a significant discount.

Last edited:
Honestly I’d love either a speedmaster or a seamaster but stuff like the Rolex Explorer I just don’t get

True. But also mechanicaly intresting. Otherwise any bit of quartz will do the job.
It’s just interesting to see the bell curve of actual time keeping in the mechacal watch world, I’ve had $50 used swatch autos, unserviced for 20 years well within the acceptable ranges for many of the luxury brands.
Mechanical watches are amazing marvels of engineering but at these price points it’s the jewellery and exclusivity factor.

True, true.

I must admit, some of my choices are more based on visual appeal. I would hate to admit it but exclusivity is appealing too.

True, true.

I must admit, some of my choices are more based on visual appeal. I would hate to admit it but exclusivity is appealing too.
Nothing wrong with that at all, really if it came down to the most accurate time keeping we probably would be wearing apple watches, god forbid.

There is an X factor, for me I can’t get to that price point as I just won’t wear it, my Monster or SKX however I’m happy to roll in the mud all day long.

I mean seriously folks, if you wanted utilitarian functionality we would all be using Rockwell 6S razors rather than some of the exotica around here - but where would the fun be in that hey @58RW? (no, I will never let you forget it :sneaky:)

The same with watches. They are more than an electronic time keeping device, they are a work of precision art, of skill, of craftsmanship. Yes, they might be visually appealing as well, have a 'bling factor' and even be exclusive. They may also be desirable because of marketing induced connections - how much are Rolex Subs or Omegas desirable because of the [paid for] Bond connection.

Nothing wrong with any of that - it is just that we each have different values for different things I suppose. I'm now less included to pay for a razor which is a NOS collectible I can't use than I once was - I've shifted from collecting. Now with a watch I'd want one to wear - which means paying a premium for tags, plastic stuck on the back etc doesn't do it for me :)

BTW - justify any engagement ring on the basis of the value of the components - good luck with that!

I mean seriously folks, if you wanted utilitarian functionality we would all be using Rockwell 6S razors rather than some of the exotica around here - but where would the fun be in that hey @58RW? (no, I will never let you forget it :sneaky:)

The same with watches. They are more than an electronic time keeping device, they are a work of precision art, of skill, of craftsmanship. Yes, they might be visually appealing as well, have a 'bling factor' and even be exclusive. They may also be desirable because of marketing induced connections - how much are Rolex Subs or Omegas desirable because of the [paid for] Bond connection.

Nothing wrong with any of that - it is just that we each have different values for different things I suppose. I'm now less included to pay for a razor which is a NOS collectible I can't use than I once was - I've shifted from collecting. Now with a watch I'd want one to wear - which means paying a premium for tags, plastic stuck on the back etc doesn't do it for me :)

BTW - justify any engagement ring on the basis of the value of the components - good luck with that!
ALL MEMBERS NOTICE - A correction in the quote 6s it's 6c :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I know he is never gonna let me forget as he has @Mark1966 had to listen to me over the years gone by ratling on and on and on how good the Gillette Fat Boy razor is so I deserve the backlash :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

See something like this is very appealing -

32390644_10157633621017468_8834091701682307072_n.jpg

Unpolished, original SMP 300M. Purchased in Australia in 2001, and looks to have been worn regularly since then. Case shows scratches and scuffs commensurate with it's age and lack of service history.

Currently running a few minutes slow per day and should be serviced.

Comes with the full kit.

Great, honest example of a modern classic.

Model #: 2531.80.00
Case Material: Stainless Steel
Case details: 41mm
Bracelet: Original Omega stainless steel - will suit up to a 7.7in wrist.
Movement: Omega 1120 Self-winding chronometer with rhodium-plated finish
Dial: Blue
Hands: Silver with
luminous inserts
Paraphernalia: Outer box, inner box, hangtag, warranty card, instruction booklet, service centre guide, chronometer booklet, card pouch.
Grading: 2

Was even originally purchased in a local Canberra jeweler! I'm not sure though I can get my head around even spending $2800 on this even though others are a lot more!

You will spend another $800 on a service, just make sure you do not let them polish it.

Or I have a Blue Monster that you can have for far less than $800.