What is the effect of glycerin pre-shave soap on skin and lather?

Mate I'm even worse as I regularly shower shave so find my lather occasionally gets quite slick from the excess water. In summer I tend to shave using warm water with a mentholated pre-shave soap such as those sold by PAA and lather up in a bowl as that way I find the lather gets the right consistency.

I always shower after my shave (I know, I know but it's the habit of a lifetime) so I simply use up all the excess lather on my body. That way I get to enjoy the smell for a bit longer.
giphy.gif

As an addendum, Not everyone is able to achieve a no irritation BBS shave whether it be all over the face as a whole or specific areas. What is the point in chasing a BBS result if you are going to get irritation though? Some of the more efficient razors give me a great very close shave by only going WTG and XTG. In my opinion a great solution for people with sensitive skin is to find a razor that is efficient enough to provide a great shave in just two passes and to stop chasing the BBS result. It is not worth it in my opinion and most people at work etc. are not going to be able to tell the difference.

+1(y) only shave WTG maybe two passes with touch up (single pass BBS if possible) and select razor/blade combos on efficiency without irritation.

I'm waiting on the APR serum too. I was watching it when there were only 4 left at B&B, but I didn't have any money to spare at the time. I've tried the Stirling balm, but didn't much like the texture, so I gave it away...

I'm waiting on the APR serum too. I was watching it when there were only 4 left at B&B, but I didn't have any money to spare at the time. I've tried the Stirling balm, but didn't much like the texture, so I gave it away...

Some of the most inexpensive products, can make the best post shave balms. I get great results from two products picked at the local supermarket for less than $6 each. For my skin they put some balms and moisturisers that cost 5-10x as much to shame.

Some of the most inexpensive products, can make the best post shave balms. I get great results from two products picked at the local supermarket for less than $6 each...
Yep, I noticed Nivea in your SOTD posts. I'll try it sometime. Most days, I don't need it, so don't think to pick anything up when I'm out shopping.

Can anyone share some experience about how you use a glycerine soap before shaving, and how it affects lather quality / glide / skin protection and conditioning?

Do I use the soap, then lather directly on top? Rinse, then lather? Open to suggestions for products and method. Considering the Razorock glycerine/charcoal bar.
I always use a pre-shave product, whether it be a glycerine soap or a pre-shave creme as a way of preparing my face. I have never noticed any positive or negative effect on lather or skin protection... I always shave after taking a shower and vigorously massage my chosen pre shave product into the beard and moustache areas. I find this massaging helps to lift the hairs and that to me is the main benefit of using a pre-shave. In the past I have always rinsed the product off before proceeding with my normal face lathering. The pre-shave soap I am using currently has a wonderful scent and produces such a good slick lather just from finger massaging that I actually use it for my first pass (of three). There are no rules, whatever works for you is the best way to use it.

I always shave after taking a shower and vigorously massage my chosen pre shave product into the beard and moustache areas. I find this massaging helps to lift the hairs and that to me is the main benefit of using a pre-shave. In the past I have always rinsed the product off before proceeding with my normal face lathering. The pre-shave soap I am using currently has a wonderful scent and produces such a good slick lather just from finger massaging that I actually use it for my first pass (of three).

So I took your advice @bomber.79 and tried out your method with Floid pre-shave oil, and it did deliver a great, smooth shave with minimal irritation. I left a fairly minimal covering of oil on my skin for a few minutes, then lathered on top. Lather thickness does struggle going on top of the oil for the first pass, but shaves fine because of the increase in glide. I think bowl lathering then applying to face over oil when it's thick and well hydrated (which I think someone suggested earlier when using a pre-shave oil) is the way to go in the future. Thanks for your thoughts though, they produced a substantially better SE shave with the Featherweight this time.

Am I the only one that shaves in the shower?

I find it easier on my skin as it's already wet and the beard is soft.

I have a little fog free shave mirror in there and it's perfect.

Also a bonus that there is no mess in and around the sink.

Am I the only one that shaves in the shower?

I find it easier on my skin as it's already wet and the beard is soft.

I have a little fog free shave mirror in there and it's perfect.

Also a bonus that there is no mess in and around the sink.
I shower shave during the colder months as I tend to head shave and its easier doing both whilst in the shower... And its too cold in CBR! :eek:

I shower shave during the colder months as I tend to head shave and its easier doing both whilst in the shower... And its too cold in CBR! :eek:

I did the same too, now I've gone 100% in the shower. Helps keep the razor gunk free as well as it's easier to rinse it out.

I've got so many water restrictors in my plumbing that the sink taps only give you a gentle stream of water rather than something that can rinse!

bloody Wells rating.

I'm a head shaver too, but having to collect rain or spring water in tanks makes you very conscious of how much water you use. Probably even colder here in TAS, so I keep my slippers on and wrap a towel around myself while standing in front of the sink.