What next...Dart or Mamba 70?

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
I'm not happy with the Game Changer (.68 & .84 plates).
But still love the wee Mamba although it is seriously mild.
So the GC will be hitting the BST soon with both plates (once I figure a price...but feel free to pm me!).
Now price wise I'm looking at the Blackland Dart or the Mamba 70.
Any thoughts on either? I'm sure I would be happy with one of them (no, no not both!).
The Dart wins because seriously cool looking? The Mamba 70 wins because it's better than the Mamba I already have, and...?
The Dart is dearer. The Mamba 70 is cheaper (but IB charge like a wounded bull for postage anyway).
Spend more money and the Blackbird OC would work for me but 'Out of Stock' for the polished version.
Other razors I use are Tech, Slim 'Twist', and Fatip Picollo (which is a nice wee razor too).
Your thoughts on Dart/Mamba 70?
I should mention (for those who don't read the Member Profiles) that I'm hitting 72 this year so my face is a tad weather beaten (!) and the GC may be a great razor for others, but it doesn't suit me. Otherwise, there's no reason not to like it. A nice razor...just not for me (and yes, I intend to live forever so I like stainless steel razors as I know they will last as long as me).

Last edited:
@Blackie
I have a GC 0.84 on the way.
If you'd like to hold off on your decision for a few days, I can compare the GC to my Karve and provide feedback in terms of absolute difference and also relative difference between the GC 0.84 and the Karve C&D plates.

I should note that the karve is already my all time favorite razor! I use the D plate daily and it's buttery smooth, takes down the growth as if it's a squeegee wiping lather away and that brass looks absolutely awesome!!

It would help, if you'd tell us which razors you like and why and what you'd like be improved.

Similarly which razors you dislike and why?

Also: is there a budget or is anything reasonable game...maybe still say what is reasonable :D

I had only 1 shave each with the Karve C and D plates respectively and maybe 3-5 each with each of the GC plates.

I also believe I had a couple of shaves with the Dart, but I'm not home right now and would have to look at my shave diary to give you detailed answers.

I also have a Mamba Al and Ti, but never tried a SS and the new 70.

I still find Above The Tie razors fantastic and by the looks of it you'd want an R1/R2/H2...

If money is even less of an issue, maybe the Rex? And if there are no time constraints, then of course Wolfman ;)

The GC is too mild for you, the Karve probably as well...and it is brass.

The Mambe is a bit more efficient than the GC and the 70 might be even more so, but I still feel it is not going to be enough for you...

The Dart is for me very agressive...maybe right for you? But it definitely wasn't smooth for me and if memory serves me well, a H1 ATT is still smoother and super efficient.

I’ve not tried the Mamba but that is about to change. My dilemma is that I liked the GC especially with the .85 plate so it is difficult to be of much assistance. The Dart is a very good razor but like a lot of contributors before me I’m suggesting the Karve. It provides a good shave and is adaptable to your level of efficiency. Of course you could always try a RAW RS-10 with both plates.

I’ve not tried the Mamba but that is about to change. My dilemma is that I liked the GC especially with the .85 plate so it is difficult to be of much assistance. The Dart is a very good razor but like a lot of contributors before me I’m suggesting the Karve. It provides a good shave and is adaptable to your level of efficiency. Of course you could always try a RAW RS-10 with both plates.
+1 for the Karve as I love how smooth it shaves on D-plate (extra efficient than my 6S on plate R6). As for the Dart - noticible blade feel and not as smooth but still an efficient shave on par with my R41. Mamba is way too inefficient for me and not going to pay a fortune to try the GC :(

OK, I know it's a tricky question when asking about razors.
Razors I own/owned and like: Gillette NEW (had the LC, yet to try a SC), Mamba (smooth/a tad mild but OK), Fatboy on 5 or 6 (depending on blade), Fatip Picollo (Mk.2 but QC still dodgy. A good shave though. Similar to the NEW obviously), Rocket HD, Super Speed (about '67 model).
Own/owned and don't like: Game Changer (tried both plates), Goodfella (crappy QC, must work for Fatip!), Muhle R89.
Still own and find them OK, but nothing startling: Tech, Slim 'Twist' (both are OK and I won't sell them but they are not the first razor I reach for).
I really want a nice quality razor (a new Janus Toggle would be lovely but can't justify the expense at $500US+).
I'm OK up to about $250 probably, which puts me into ATT area.
If I found a really lovely NEW SC then that could keep me happy too.
The Dart seems to be a tad harsh going by the reviews. No-one says "Wow, it's Mamba smooth but 10x more efficient".
The Mamba 70? Not too many reviews out there. Maybe people can't be bothered trying to get a razor from Joe what with the 'almost a lottery' to actually buy one.
So I like OC razors generally I think.
Maybe an ATT R2 or M2 would be fine. The M2 is a worry as it may just be a Mamba in disguise (but with teeth).

Wolfman Guerrilla, timeless 68, progress, att r1 are all great razors. The wolfman would be my pick (and has been the last couple weeks). Thicker handle is a good size, but hollow so is light enough. Head is slim and nimble. Can be found on bst and reddit for $150 usd.

I will have used the Karve with the C and D plates for quite a few shaves by the end of the week and will write a short review that will compare it against a number of razors including the Guerilla, Mamba, Standard Wolfman amongst others so stay tuned for that. If you do not want to wait the short version at this stage will be that IMO all of the above mentioned are considerably better than the Karve.....

I'd say the Guerrilla would be not enough for you and since you like OC my money would be on a R2.

I know it is a bit more expensive to buy directly from Stan, but you have a 30 day money back guarantee (-shipping of course)

Alternatively someone might have one you could borrow? I know I had one on loan at some stage, but don't ask me who from...

And then you could scan the various BSTs...the original series was phased out before Christmas and you could get them for a really good price...I'm sure some just bought, because they were cheap and would sell at similar low price?

I'd say the Guerrilla would be not enough for you and since you like OC my money would be on a R2.

I know it is a bit more expensive to buy directly from Stan, but you have a 30 day money back guarantee (-shipping of course)

Alternatively someone might have one you could borrow? I know I had one on loan at some stage, but don't ask me who from...

And then you could scan the various BSTs...the original series was phased out before Christmas and you could get them for a really good price...I'm sure some just bought, because they were cheap and would sell at similar low price?

I’ve just checked the ATT site and the R2’s are listed again. They’re not at the 50% off I got mine last November but $148US which is a bit off what they were.