What to look out for in Bali

Don

2019 Charity Auction Winner
Hi All
Heading over to Bali in March. Just curious if any on here have any suggestions on what to pick up or keep an eye out for. Over there about a year ago and found a place just up the road from where we stayed that did straight razor shaves. The kid was a master with the blade. That is one of the main reasons I have headed down the wet shaving path in my late 40's. Any suggestions appreciated. Hardware or software I am not fussy. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

I just had an AMAZING shave with a Shavette from Mr. Ali at Prince Barbershop in Sanur

https://www.facebook.com/PrinceBarbershopSanur/

The soap/brush he was using was atrocious, but the shave was stellar and super super super close.

If you want to be the nicest guy, please bring him a tub of Body shop Maca Root cream. He loves it (someone must have showed it to him) but it is too hard/expensive for him to get it...

Oh and the shave cost 6AUD (y)

Herpes, hepatitis, food poisoning, ?
🤢
Well as I'm taking the wife I hope Herpes is off the list.
Food poisoning...... yeh we will call it food poisoning, had nothing to do with the Bintang and duty free at the last time.
Hepatitis, well that would depend on what happens while food poisoned wouldn't it.

Prince Barbershop in Sanur
Will keep that in mind, but staying at Canggu and looking at heading up the north west coast. Will pack some Maca root in case a trade is needed. Cheers for that. Head and face shave was just shy of 10AUD and he would drop in to the villa on his way for a surf every second day. Face and dome have never been so smooth.

Oh and install go-jek on your phone and remove once and for all the hassles with drivers on the island

Oh and install go-jek on your phone and remove once and for all the hassles with drivers on the island
Where we are staying supply a driver for 10 hours a day. One of the reasons we picked them. The last time we were there we asked the driver before the day, what would be the cost to have him for 12 hours. It was 15AUD, so we shouted him lunch and a couple of beers at the end of it. Not sure but in Canggu, Go Jek, Uber and Taxies are not supposed to pick up fares. They are happy to let them deliver food just not pick up people. There is the Canggu Transport service that looks as shady as anything, but turned out to be brilliant for the couple of times I used them. Prices are displayed on a board and you pay on completion of trip.

Herpes, hepatitis, food poisoning, ?
🤢
Herpes lol! Got to check your veg for creepy crawleys before you eat it mate, that is a given :LOL:
Though with the same wife he should be safe :giggle:

@Don Assumed you meant shaving so didn't comment as I have no idea about Bali Barbers. Though if diseases are on the menu get your vacations up to date way before you go. Hit your GP up for the info. Besides the normal easily caught Hep A & B and typhoid, dengue stuff you also need to be worried about is Japanese Encephalitis and Zika. Don't hesitate about the cost of them as once you see someone around you get one of them you'll be happy to have spent the money. Hep A & Jap Encephalitis for sure. If you aren't vacc'd for Hep B in Australia already you are nuts.

Best use commonsense if you are lucky enough to bestowed with this gift, dont pat a dog you are unsure about and keep covered and protected from mosquitos.

Not being an alarmist but be smart and enjoy the place and think alittle.
Are the razors clean or using disposable blades. Getting a tattoo then check their kit out before hand.
Don't go off alone or too far away without someone. Yeah Bali is safe but always a one who is looking for an easy tourist to take money from.
If it is illegal in OZ it probably is there too.

Boys, boys, boys

OP is going with wife so all fine and safe.

Move on to real, preferably shaving related, delights of Bali.

Does anyone know if cheap ARKO! Is available there for instance?

All good lads.
Yes, I was asking about shaving related products. Recommendations of Sights and experiences that won’t see me run afoul of the wife are more than welcome.

@RustyBlade the vaccinations have been taken care of.

Oh, and my vices are of the legal kind. I'm also of the age where the drugs trying to be sold to me are of the little blue pill kind not the Keith Richards specials.

As for the Arko, well........

The best picollo I have ever had: Seniman Coffee in Ubud - and I am serious about my coffee...maybe not home roasting serious, but serious enough ;)

If you are into Babi Guling, try Babi Guling Ayu Sintya in Pasar Kreneng, Denpasar

There are actually 3-4 Babi Guling stalls next to each other, but this one is always the busiest and recommended by a local foodie.

If you are into scuba...maybe PM me :D

@alfredus The coffee was outstanding over there. Although I did try the Kopi Luwak and wasn't impressed even tried it from a couple of different plantations. Will keep the Babi Guling in mind. As for scuba, it has been way to long. I am going to have to redo every thing. Did look a refresher while over there last time but after talking to the instructer for about 5 minutes decided to give it a miss. Also this one is an anniversary trip so dissapearing for a day or two may not go down well.

@alfredus The coffee was outstanding over there. Although I did try the Kopi Luwak and wasn't impressed even tried it from a couple of different plantations. Will keep the Babi Guling in mind. As for scuba, it has been way to long. I am going to have to redo every thing. Did look a refresher while over there last time but after talking to the instructer for about 5 minutes decided to give it a miss. Also this one is an anniversary trip so dissapearing for a day or two may not go down well.

Hey @Don congrats on the up coming Anniversary mate....😎😎😎