What was the first wet shave razor DE or SE razor you ever owed or used??

Vittocia

Hi P&C members how about sharing what razor you used the first time you
tried or used a one of the DE or SE razor types.
And also the first you owned
Whether it was a modern type or a vintage one

My first was a Gillette Knack slim from the the seventies in my
opinion it looked like Gillette had given up on DE razors and just put out this ugly
example knowing they were changing to cartridge razors .
Here a pic of a Knack but not the one I owned
But I do have the old mans Gillette super speed (as pictured) date code S2 (2/4 1972)
Cheers
Paul
s-l300.jpg
SS.jpg

First ever DE was a 1967 Super Speed bought new when I joined the NZ Army. Used Palmolive soap stick as that was all that was available back then.
Took the razor to Vietnam with me 1968 - 1969.
Brother then swiped it and took it to Aussie with him (he still lives there, in Bundy).
He finally mailed the razor back to me a couple of years ago. It had finally died. Worn out, loose (falling out) twist knob, etc.
That's not too bad a life for a razor.

In 2013 my journey commenced with a Merkur 34c as many do.

I still have it, but the shaves I used to get were sub par compared to what results I’m getting nowadays. It’s probably all technique related and not hardware, so I will return to it maybe in a few weeks time.

On my 44th birthday after three decades of shaving with multi-blade cartridge systems, and a brief dabble with an electric razor, I had an epiphany.

My wonderful wife have given me a Merkur 38c razor, Edwin Jagger super badger brush, some of the ubiquitous Proraso eucalyptus and menthol shaving soap and a variety of blades.

For the first time in almost 30 years I enjoyed shaving!

After a couple of weeks of enjoying the shaving experience and browsing some on-line forums I discovered that Gillette included codes showing the date of manufacturing on many of their razors from the 1950s to 1986. Soon I followed a well trodden path and purchased a razor from my birth-year, a 1966 Flare Tip Super Speed.

It was kinda cool shaving with a razor that was made the same time I was born. It has a timelessness about it, a certainty and tranquillity knowing that the carefully crafted metal in your hand has been through a lot of years and stood the test of time. Of course one thing led to another. Gillette manufactured a couple of different models of razor in 1966, so I got a couple. Then I discovered that there were some really beautiful looking models around and before you know it I had a few ...

The brush is long gone, I have no Proraso in my drawer at the moment, but my son started shaving with that 38c until I gave him a NOS Slim Aristocrat from my birth year...

Great idea for a thread @Paul Smith

Sadly my first DE that I bought was one of those Weishi TTO knockoff's, paired with some Wilkinson Sword blades and lets just say I gave up within a week. A year or so later I stumbled upon a few 'Wet Shaving' video's on Youtube and decided to give it another go. I grabbed a EJ DE89, Proraso Green cream and a cheapo synthetic Brush to get me started and haven't looked back.

A Parker 99R with Arko and Astra SP.

Came out with razor burn and a few nicks. I still use the Parker but consider it one of the most efficient razors I own with its weight and blade exposure. Didn't enjoy shaves skin wise until a month later I got a mild baili 131.