What's the quickest way into wet shaving Aussie winter seasons

I think there's a little more merit to this topic than meets the eye. Shutting the window defeats the purpose of allowing your brush to dry in a ventilated area - especially if its a large knotted boar. Leaving your window open also doesn't help when its very cold outside. So would most shut their bathroom window during the winter, or close it?

I've kept the bathroom window slightly open regardless of how cold it is outside, because I would think some air-flow/ventilation would at least help your brush dry. Do you prefer to use a certain brush during a winter time, or does the season not matter? I'm sure a synth will dry much quicker, but I haven't graduated to owning one yet.

I'm with you @Volare i always keep the bathroom window slightly open as you mentioned helps dry brushes and also soaps after use for a couple of days, on those extreme cold days nights 2 x IXL tastic lamps for 10 mins do the trick.
You could also use one of those small portable fan heaters not very expensive Target for about $20.00 worth a try would also dry out the bathroom from your winter long Hot shower.

Last edited:
Good point @Volare, I'd not thought of that.

The synthetics do dry quicker but I have the good fortune to have a seven-day rotation of brushes so they have plenty of time to dry between uses. Even a day off in a two brush rotation might be beneficial.

I think there's a little more merit to this topic than meets the eye. Shutting the window defeats the purpose of allowing your brush to dry in a ventilated area - especially if its a large knotted boar. Leaving your window open also doesn't help when its very cold outside. So would most shut their bathroom window during the winter, or close it?

I've kept the bathroom window slightly open regardless of how cold it is outside, because I would think some air-flow/ventilation would at least help your brush dry. Do you prefer to use a certain brush during a winter time, or does the season not matter? I'm sure a synth will dry much quicker, but I haven't graduated to owning one yet.
You can always take the brush to another (better ventilated) room to dry. It doesn't have to remain in the bathroom. You just have to remember where you left it last... [emoji15]

You can always take the brush to another (better ventilated) room to dry. It doesn't have to remain in the bathroom. You just have to remember where you left it last... [emoji15]

... And to take it back in :)

Hey - Happy shaving :)

Thanks for your input Gents.

You could also use one of those small portable fan heaters not very expensive Target for about $20.00 worth a try would also dry out the bathroom from your winter long Hot shower.

Good idea @cranky. Although a bathroom fan is good at sucking up moisture, I reckon a portable fan will definitely help improve ventilation as it blows its air more horizontally. No doubt will also improve the comfort for those who don't have bathroom heat lights (which I've got, but never use - just too bright for me).

I have been wondering recently whether my new Semogue 1438 had suffered cracks in the enamel as a result of the colder weather. This was mentioned in my SOTD last week. Being a natural material, timber can expand/contract due to changes in temperature, but painted enamel is not a flexible material. So it made me wonder whether the wooden handle expanded a little during the shaving process (even though I only use luke-warm water and only soak the tips) and the enamel may have formed a couple of fine cracks as a result. Or, perhaps I never noticed the fine cracks earlier and they may have formed while the brush was going through its drying process in the colder weather (probably during an evening shave when it gets much colder at night).

It would be interesting to hear from other owners of Semogue brushes (or other brands) with painted handles who may have experienced the same thing. This might not be an issue in the northern states where it doesn't get cold enough (apart from the ACT). The most likely scenario is that I received a brush that was just not sealed well and I am hoping this is the case (I do have a replacement on the way). However, if my suspicions are correct, I am concerned it might happen again during the next few months of Winter.

@cranky I think I could fit this in a small cramp bathroom just have to check where to place it :unsure:

@SpeedyPC at home we use the small fan heater in a second bathroom which does not have a roof mounter fan & heat lamps quite successfully it drys the bathroom walls very quickly if we shower in that bathroom we also leave the window open about 1 inch and it seems to push the hot steam out the window.

It would be interesting to hear from other owners of Semogue brushes (or other brands) with painted handles who may have experienced the same thing. This might not be an issue in the northern states where it doesn't get cold enough (apart from the ACT). The most likely scenario is that I received a brush that was just not sealed well and I am hoping this is the case (I do have a replacement on the way). However, if my suspicions are correct, I am concerned it might happen again during the next few months of Winter.

@Volare a gentlemen I've spoken at the lodge said he never use a brush that has a wooden handle with or without paint only in winter season, because they do sometimes crack throughout winter if you're wet shaving the brush and hung to dry after used. He also said either used a Acrylic or a Faux Ivory Resin type handle because it doesn't crack during winter seasons while the brush is hung to dry, he also said place all wooden with or without paint in a ventilated storage room not in the bathroom and he also said it doesn't matter if you used a badger, boar or synthetics brush it only the wooden handle with or without paint you need to worried about only in winter season.

@cranky I just need to put some cloths on first before I shave that I don't catch a chill, my only worried is I'm not very good making less mess when it comes to lather sometime it's hard to face lather when my body is catching a chill. So I guess either use a bowl to lather up quickly or used a shave soap stick, might help me speed up in the small cramp chill bathroom or cheat used a foam shaving cream ;)

@cranky I just need to put some cloths on first before I shave that I don't catch a chill, my only worried is I'm not very good making less mess when it comes to lather sometime it's hard to face lather when my body is catching a chill. So I guess either use a bowl to lather up quickly or used a shave soap stick, might help me speed up in the small cramp chill bathroom or cheat used a foam shaving cream ;)
Try the fan heater you will be surprised how hot it gets in the bathroom.

Shave with cold water and EVERYTHING will be the same temperature. Sorry didn't mean to shout :)
I used to see my Grandfather with a straight, shaving outside with a bowl of cold water, a mirror, frost on the ground and never once complaining about the nuances of the delicate art of shaving. Mind you I also saw him pick up a brown snake that was heading for the back door and crack it like a whip and dispatch it. Oh yes, that was 50 years ago and men have changed a bit in that time.

The biggest problem I have with winter shaving is cold lather - aka zombie bukake.

The way I beat this last winter was by filling my lather bowl with how water while showering. After the shower I fill the basin with hot water and after I create the lather I sit the lather bowl in the hot water in the sink. This helps to keep the lather warm while shaving.

Still wondering how to keep the lather warm now that I'm face lathering.

Also - Hot Towels! Winter is where the hot towel really shines

The biggest problem I have with winter shaving is cold lather - aka zombie bukake.

The way I beat this last winter was by filling my lather bowl with how water while showering. After the shower I fill the basin with hot water and after I create the lather I sit the lather bowl in the hot water in the sink. This helps to keep the lather warm while shaving.

Still wondering how to keep the lather warm now that I'm face lathering.

Also - Hot Towels! Winter is where the hot towel really shines

@StueyB thanks for this tip and I'll give this ago ;):)

zombie bukake.

I think someone has been looking at my browsing history....did you not see my medical alert bracelet!! :oops::eek::cry:

61TOgJPTt%2BL._UL1000_.jpg

I might be of service.

What you want in your bathroom is a wall mounted heater or a baseboard heater with a thermostat, they don't take much space as they are thin. Personally, I always leave the window slighly open to vantilate the humidity and reduce the fog, I also put a towel on the floor for when I get out of the shower.

That's funny because I keep mine the freezer....