When is a close shave too close?

bald as

ARKO! dealer & walking ECG
As a confirmed straight razor shaver I have learned much about the relative sharpness and closeness possible with razor types.

I started shaving in my middle teens with a DE - an extremely thin, extremely sharp and extremely unforgiving blade. In the '70's I used a Schick injector, no less sharp but a bit more forgiving. Skip ahead to modern times and my favoured razor is a straight with occassional GEM SE.

My shaving approach in my past has not been the basic youtube Americanized 3 pass WTG,XTG, ATG mow it down till it bleeds attack.

So after all that, here is my question "When is a close shave too close?"

After 8 hours is there much that separates a comfortable CCS [close comfortable shave] from a DFS [Damn fine shave] from a BBS [Baby B smooth] ?? Discuss Bumps, irritation, nicks, cuts and general discomfort- not just in the 12 hours after your shave but ongoing maybe days or weeks.

If you use more than one blade type what differences do you notice?

Steve

Well... at my age (bloody ancient) I have come to the conclusion that I don't need a BBS shave at all! I mean, it's highly unlikely that Elle McPherson is going to be gently caressing my cheeks (facial or aerosol) any time soon! I invariably have two passes (WTG & XTG) which gives me a perfectly good shave (for me) with no burning or weeping (unless I'm careless and/or impatient.) A second hand (but unused) Gillette fat handle is now my go-to razor with the occasional rotation of a Lord LP1822L (L6) both usually used with Astras. In the unlikely event of Elle being able to get past my wife and our attack cat, I may opt for a third pass (ATG) and a touch-up! :sneaky:

I have noticed a significant difference between using my R41 and most other razors. The R41 shaves to a BBS, as do most of my other razors, but the BBS last for much much longer. I shaved with the R41 Sunday night and I barely needed to shave this morning. It was only because I enjoy using my gear that I chose to, otherwise I could easily have gotten away without.

It's an incredible shave, but for freaks like me (us?) it is a negative. I want to shave every day dammit.

If you're skin is smooth as a baby bare bum after you're second pass shave you don't need to do a third pass, depend how good is your shaving skills and the blade you choose during you're shave.

Since my shaving technique is entirely a result of this forum, I do the "standard" three pass with no nics/bumps/irritation at all between the shave and the next. I have on several occasions skipped the ATG pass with the same results. Could I drop the ATG entirely? For me, no because the XTG isn't very comfortable without the ATG prior. So could I drop the WTG? Sure, but it would be obvious at lot sooner in the day that I need a shave. Maybe my beard is a fast grower, or maybe my XTG pass isn't that good, but without the ATG, I wouldn't feel socially acceptable smooth. It's 4pm now and I am still SAS. So yes, 8 hours later there is a difference but it's been a while since I haven't done the ATG pass so maybe I need to skip it again and see.

So when is close too close? Well that is easy - when it is not comfortable post shave...
Three passes to BBS and I am comfortable post shave (sometimes irritation for an hour or so but no visual side effects) so for me, that is not too close.

I go for a FITCE save every other day.

With a couple of minor exceptions (ie around mou, and chin areas) , it's one pass North to South, one South to North. If I do a 3rd pass its a bit more complicated, so generally I just finish after the 2nd pass, and say
F* it, thats close enough

Most of the time these days I settle for a 2 pass with touch-up under the jawline - which gives me a DFS for around 18 - 24 hrs.
Sometimes, if I chose to go the BBS route, I go the full uberlather and 6 or 7/8 extra hollow blade - preferably a Sheffield.
That will normally have me faceturbating up to 36 hours.

I have noticed a significant difference between using my R41 and most other razors. The R41 shaves to a BBS, as do most of my other razors, but the BBS last for much much longer. I shaved with the R41 Sunday night and I barely needed to shave this morning. It was only because I enjoy using my gear that I chose to, otherwise I could easily have gotten away without.

It's an incredible shave, but for freaks like me (us?) it is a negative. I want to shave every day dammit.

I have found some razors far too efficient to shave with every day, so I don't use them often. I have far too much soap to only shave once every three days :)

You have seen me @bald as - black hair and especially in Australian winter not so dark skin. So everything less than a DFS+ and I look unshaved :(

Irritation free is important to me. Never go ATG, WTG followed by XTG in one direction the XTG in the other direction and that is generally enough to give me a near BBS result with no irritation. If I have irritation then that is too far.

Can't remember the last time I did 3 passes. 1W, 1X is plenty close and I'm good til bedtime. No one can tell the difference between that 2nd and 3rd anyway. Neither can I except to the touch.
Whilst this is true, and irritation free is far more important than BBS, an incredibly close, irritation free BBS with an R41 does put a stupid smile on my face.

Irritation free is important to me. Never go ATG, WTG followed by XTG in one direction the XTG in the other direction and that is generally enough to give me a near BBS result with no irritation. If I have irritation then that is too far.

This is exactly my std routine. If i have a special event ill add ATG for a few shaves leading up to it, but normally 2 XTG or even a 3rd depending on the blade used, is ample for me.